Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New tire thread; what to get?

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

New tire thread; what to get?

Since some of the threads I found are older, I thought I'd post up. After the original B-Stones wore out back in '03, I tried the Metzler M1's. LOVED them, never felt as confident in a set of tires, but I was going thru a rear every 3,500mi or so, and usually getting 2 rear to a front. So, a couple years ago, I went with the M3's. Didn't feel quite as comfortable pushing them hard, especially in the cold season (mtn's), more the rear than the front, but I got about 6k out of the rear and so always changed the set at a time, so to me, even though the M3's are a little more $$, that slight little bit of confidence lost was worth the tradeoff.

Now it's time to get new tires, and there's the new M5 to look at, my usual M3, then there's the new Dunlop Quilifyer Q2 that people are raving about. The Q2 is about $38 more expensive for the set here where I usually get my tires (killer prices):
    http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...NGR/Tires.aspx

But, my concern is if they're going to wear out on 3-4k miles, I'll stick with the M3's, they're a know, familiar, trusted tire for me. I know a guy that uses Pilot's, and tried the CT, but still got only 3-4K out of them and they were more pricey than the M3. Cost IS an issue. Also, I have a friend that sells Dunlop race tires at the tracks here (I'm running a set of Dunlop takeoffs he gave me), and he might be able to get me an even better deal on them than the Superstore.

Anyone with a 1k worn out a set of the Dunlops yet? I found I like the rounder profile of the M3's than the takeoffs I'm running because I don't like the way they seem to fall into the corner somewhat, but it may be they they're worn and that's what's causing that.

Thanks!
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

Re: New tire thread; what to get?

round ones...preferably made of rubber...

when I was riding the 750 on the street I'd get 4.5k per front and 3k per rear if I was lucky, no matter what the brand

the take-offs are a taller 190/55 tire, and they are shot on the sides, so they will feel like they "fall" faster than a round profile tire. This is a feeling I prefer, the round profiles feel lazy to me. if you want a longer lasting tire, it is going to cost you, I put 8k on my pilot road 2's before they were shot, and they cost me ~$300, but they did not instill the confidence that the sportier tires did.

it depends how many miles you are putting in and how hard you want to push. the cheaper tire that wears out in half the time may not be the better choice in some cases.

For a rounder profile, maybe look into the Conti's as well, not sure what the prices are looking like lately as I just plan on running my own take-offs on the street this year.
    Last edited by OUTLAWD; Mon Mar 7th, 2011 at 12:57 PM.

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CYCLE_MONKEY View Post
    Anyone with a 1k worn out a set of the Dunlops yet?
    I have, but what is the question?
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

Before you buy on line, you may want to check with the guys at 303 cycle. I stopped in this weekend and got a awesome price on a set of Q2's (better than what I was seeing on that website you posted). I've only put about 50 miles on them (in the cold), so I can't really speak of thier longevity, but the price was right.

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Goose View Post
    I have, but what is the question?
    Ah, I should have been more specific. Did you like them, and what sort of mileage did you get out of them on a 1k? Have you run them compared to the M3's?

THX
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

So I went back to see how many miles I've put on my tires. It's around 4k miles on this set (from closest gas fill up to gas fill up) since the end of August. I still have some tread on it, not enough to hit another canyon run though. Just enough to commute for the next month or so. Most of the riding was commuting, had 1 track day at HPR, A LOT of canyon rides (almost every nice weekend) and most of those were 2 up. Plus, I'm sure I could have more miles on them if I'd stop back it in, pulling into my apartments.

I've never run the M3s on this bike. All I've had are the 2CTs (hated it!) and the Q2s. Q2s, to me, are the best tire I've ever had.
    Last edited by Mother Goose; Mon Mar 7th, 2011 at 01:27 PM.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

Has delusions of Kawi grandeur konichd's Avatar

Metzeler has released the M3's again at a discounted price ($210 for a 120-190/55 set) and there are good prices on Q2's as well (225 for a 190/50 set or 229 for a 190-55 set).

If its cost and you like the M3's I would just grab another set of those since Metzeler has brought them back as a price alternative to the M5
    303 Cycle | FaceBook | Twitter | Google Plus |

MRA #161 : 2014 Sponsors - Bell, Knox, Silkolene, Forma Boots, Chicken Hawk Racing, Bazzaz

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Crunch View Post
    Before you buy on line, you may want to check with the guys at 303 cycle. I stopped in this weekend and got a awesome price on a set of Q2's (better than what I was seeing on that website you posted). I've only put about 50 miles on them (in the cold), so I can't really speak of thier longevity, but the price was right.
    I'll check with 303, thanks. I usually buy from them and have for many years because I've NEVER seen a store beat the Superstore's price. I
    m also gonna talk to Scer since he sells Dunlop race tires and see if he can't get me a deal on 'em too.

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

BTW, I'm on a 190/55 rear to help with turn in.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

Konichd, I wouldn't mind trying a set of the Q2's since the reviews have been good, but I haven't been able to find a price on them anywhere near what you quoted. Even the Superstore as I linked had the set at $254 if I remember correctly. The M3's were about $38 cheaper if I remember right. I don't mind paying a little more$$ if the mileage is the same or close, but if it's going to be 4k on the rear, I'll have to just get the M3's.

Has anyone tried the new M5's? THOSE look interesting, and if the compound is similar to the M3, you might even get a little more mileage as there is nothing but a solid band of rubber in the center. And, since I really don't ride in the rain, that's not really an issue for me.

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

Quote Originally Posted by CYCLE_MONKEY View Post
    Konichd, I wouldn't mind trying a set of the Q2's since the reviews have been good, but I haven't been able to find a price on them anywhere near what you quoted. Even the Superstore as I linked had the set at $254 if I remember correctly. The M3's were about $38 cheaper if I remember right. I don't mind paying a little more$$ if the mileage is the same or close, but if it's going to be 4k on the rear, I'll have to just get the M3's.
    Give the Q2s a try first. If you don't like them, I'll buy them off you.

Seriously, best tire I've ever had, and I'm sure I put more use to mine than the normal person, being 2 up and hitting the canyons as much as I do. So I'd bet you can get more mileage out of them. I'm just hard on tires.

Yes, I said hard on.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

Plus, I'd say being confident in your tires is worth the extra $38.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

Motomummy has a great price on 'em: $222 for the 190/55 and 120/70 set.
    https://www.motomummy.com/store/prod...cat=260&page=1

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

Wow, Bueller nailed it, his link had the cheapest so far. Nice! Thanks! If I decide to go with the Q2's, I'll definately give them the business.

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

don't forget the extra $40-70 to mount em + tax

Quote Originally Posted by OUTLAWD View Post
    don't forget the extra $40-70 to mount em + tax
    Well, depending on where I get 'em, there is no tax, and I've got a friend or 2 who's got a nice tire changing and balancing setup.

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

We have the q2 sets of 190/50+ 120/70-17 for $209.95. Thanks
    Performance Cycle of Colorado
    1990 S Broadway
    Denver Co 80210 303-744-2011

1974-2011 - R.I.P.

I'm not sure how you're getting 6k on the M3's, if I could duplicate that I would never buy another brand; great fall-in (prefer them new, before they get rounded off), great grip and very confidence inspiring. As it is, I'm getting about 3.2k on the rear and was considering a change to the Q2's to see if the dual compound will get me another 1500 miles. Only thing holding me back is that I'm afraid the Q2's will be too rounded and slower to turn in.
    Last edited by V4whore; Mon Mar 7th, 2011 at 05:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by V4whore View Post
    I'm not sure how you're getting 6k on the M3's, if I could duplicate that I would never buy another brand; great fall-in (prefer them new, before they get rounded off), great grip and very confidence inspiring. As it is, I'm getting about 3.2k on the rear and was considering a change to the Q2's to see if the dual compound will get me another 1500 miles. Only thing holding me back is that I'm afraid the Q2's will be too rounded and slower to turn in.
    Ive been running them for years now and have gotten a low of 4,500 miles on a rear to 6k, usually at least 5k on one. The M1's I was going thru at a little over 3k.

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

1974-2011 - R.I.P.

^^ That's damn good for M3's -almost sport-touring- I'd just stay with them. What are you riding, Monkey?

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Goose View Post
    Plus, I'd say being confident in your tires is worth the extra $38.

...this

www.cocsba.com

'00 ZX12R
    '03 SV1000

I just picked up a set of the Bridgestone Battlax BT0-16's for the CBR 900rr and I paid around $210.00 with shipping. I have only been able to get out and ride on them a couple times this year but I have put a couple hundered miles on them, and so far I absolutely LOVE them! The rear is a 5 compound tire and the front is 3, I believe... They have a hard center for longer life with commuting and conservative riding but the tire gets softer towards the sides and I think they have preformed very well in the few twisties I have been fortunate to ride this season. I would buy these tires again in a heartbeat... I picked them up off Ebay, and the seller was JC Motors.... Good luck with your purchase!

Quote Originally Posted by V4whore View Post
    ^^ That's damn good for M3's -almost sport-touring- I'd just stay with them. What are you riding, Monkey?
    I've got an '01 Gixxer 1k I bought new in OH, with almost 53k miles now. I don't race, but I'm definately not easy on 'er.

I'm pretty happy with the M3's, and I can get a set for about $220 online (not tax/shipping). If the Q2's will give comarable mileage, or even a little less, I'd probably try them as people really seem to like them. But, if they're good for only 3,500 like the M1's were, I'll stick with the M3's. I want to do some sport-touring (1k mile-2k mile weekend trips) again this summer, and running at 90 for hundreds of miles at a time kinda eats the tires up.

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian