Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Chain maintenance info:

Re: Chain maintenance info:

I'm all for the debate when people are informed and making sense.

With regard to your quote, again the idea is that if the system is working correctly, you shouldn't experience a significant amount more fling than what you get from a manually lubed chain.

We'll see what happens. The system I'm installing is a gravity feed, time release system. They are problematic because of temperature affecting viscosity (feed) and don't account for distance traveled. So a slow day around town will lube the chain more (per mile) than a long day on the slab.

I know a guy who commutes 200miles a day and is looking at the pro-oiler which will account for both issues. If he goes through with it and likes it then I may move the gravity feed system to the DR650 and put a more calibrated system on the VFR.
    1998 VFR800 Interceptor - resurrected and custom tail http://vfrworld.com/forums/5th-gener...98-vfr800.html

1999 DR650SE

Here's one thing we can all agree on......
    Make sure your bike is turned off, remember the GSXR guy that lost a couple fingers last spring....
    2011 Ducati 848 Evo "Bautista"
    2002 Honda RC-51 "Big Boi"

"Always remember to pillage BEFORE you burn!"

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerinWstuff View Post
    So the oil from an automatic system, like Henry's home creation, flings oil everywhere across Gods creation, but NOT where it's supposed to be on the chain?

again, you are comparing a home grown system and an engine oil leak to a properly designed system for the job?

I don't care who designed it. If it uses motor oil, that's not a proper chain lube because it's too light in viscosity (unless it's a fully-enclosed submerged-type system with pressure feed on the engaging tooth/roller interface) and will get squeezed out under pressure and flung off. Also, if the oil drips on the outside of the chain, it's not going to get where it should go anyways. If the drip tube is down at the bottom of the chain, right before the rear sprocket, that'd be a lot better, but I'm betting that's NOT where it goes because it'd be much harder to mount.
    Have fun with it, but I don't think you'll like the results.
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

Quote Originally Posted by CYCLE_MONKEY View Post
    I don't care who designed it. If it uses motor oil, that's not a proper chain lube because it's too light in viscosity (unless it's a fully-enclosed submerged-type system with pressure feed on the engaging tooth/roller interface) and will get squeezed out under pressure and flung off.
    From Scotts:
    What oil does the Scottoiler system take?

All Scottoiler motorbike chain oiler kits use our own specific oil developed for application through a motorbike chain lube system. Our oils have a low tack additive to ensure dirt doesn’t stick letting the oil work on lubricating and protecting from corrosion.

I don't know where you keep getting this engine oil thing from.

Also, if the oil drips on the outside of the chain, it's not going to get where it should go anyways. If the drip tube is down at the bottom of the chain, right before the rear sprocket, that'd be a lot better, but I'm betting that's NOT where it goes because it'd be much harder to mount.

Have fun with it, but I don't think you'll like the results.
    More from Scotts:
    Dispenser Actually delivering oil to the chain is something so many people get wrong. The oil should always be fed to the inside of the chain where it can be centrifuged outwards. We always recommend delivering Scottoil onto the face of the sprocket, with the tip of the injector nib lightly resting on the surface, avoiding the chain, any sprocket windows, the teeth and also the retaining nuts spinning round. The slash cut at the end of the injector should face outwards to avoid being blocked by grit or friction from the sprocket.

Never simply drop the Scottoil motorcycle chain oil onto the chain from above. At speed, the droplets of oil will be picked up by the negative wind pressure around this area of the bike and will be fired in all directions!
    Decreasing the flow rate slightly can reduce any oil fling. Our oils have been developed specifically for use with our systems and, unlike aerosol sprays, they don’t turn into a black “chewing gum” grinding paste which sticks to everything and is impossible to get off. Scottoil from Scottoiler easily wipes off any surface making cleaning so much easier.

And more from the FAQ since few people seem interested in reading on their own before formulating an opinion....

FAQs
    Got a question – then why not see if its similar to one of our frequently asked questions here and hopefully we can answer it for you – if you can’t find the answer here then why not contact us.
    Does fitting a Scottoiler take away the need for all chain maintenance?

As the chain is automatically cleaned and lubricated, only chain tensioning is necessary which is at much longer intervals due to the reduced chain and sprocket wear. However, depending on how clean you like to keep your bikes you may still find you want to give the chain a clean now and again, but what you’ll find in doing so is that it will be so much easier to clean with a Scottoiler.
    Does fitting the Scottoiler affect the engine?

No. With our vacuum operated kits only a very small amount of air moves back and forth to operate the valve. The engine side of the diaphragm is 'closed' so no air can be drawn in. The unit does not use a continuous vacuum. For our electronic kits they simply take a power feed from the battery.
    Will it put oil on the rear tire?

A flow rate of between one to two drops per minute will provide an oil-film which will not pollute the running surface of the tire and will give a dramatic improvement in chain life. In conditions where high levels of dust, sand or heavy rain are present - more oil flow will be necessary to extend chain life.
    How does it work?

The Scottoiler vacuum systems are switched on and off automatically by a simple connection to the engine. This design enables accurate flow adjustment when the bike is stationary enabling correct chain lubrication without excess oil. To find out in more detail how our different systems work, check out our how it works page.
    How often does it need filling?

It really depends on the system you’re going for – check the individual product pages for details on range between refills, but as a rule of thumb you’re looking at somewhere around 500-1000 miles. Using the Magnum HCR (High Capacity Reservoir) or Lube Tube can increase this further still.
    Is the Scottoiler system necessary for 'O' ring chains?

'O' rings are made of rubber which has a high coefficient of friction. Unless the surfaces are kept moist, the rubber will harden and crack, exposing the link-pin to dirt and wear. The resulting 'tight spot' makes chain adjustment impossible. Two kilowatts of power can be converted to heat by seal friction on 'O' ring chains. So, the answer is yes, you need a Scottoiler on any sealed chain!
    Does it work with a two-stroke, turbo-charged or fuel injected engine?

Yes to all three. For more specific info just get in touch with your question.
    Which Scottoil should I use - blue Scottoil or red High Temperature Oil?

For riding in the UK we recommend you use blue Scottoil. The red High Temperature oil is ideal for touring abroad, but was developed specifically for Singapore, Australia and Parts of America that are on average in excess of 30 degrees. It is in a red labeled bottle and is red in color. Because of the increased viscosity this oil is also better suited for use with older Scottoiler kits or with faster flowing oilers. For more information on the different oil options check out the Scottoil page.
    1998 VFR800 Interceptor - resurrected and custom tail http://vfrworld.com/forums/5th-gener...98-vfr800.html

1999 DR650SE

From Scotts:

I don't know where you keep getting this engine oil thing from.

[/B]

More from Scotts:

And more from the FAQ since few people seem interested in reading on their own before formulating an opinion....
    Knock yourself out!
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

Quote Originally Posted by brennahm
    Actually, they're the same thing, more of a generational vernacular.
    Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post
    No, they are not at all. The both have very precise definitions in physics.
    Bringing this one back from the dead, I guess I missed it the first time around until the chain oiler discussion...

Dirk (and Ricky) are correct. These forces/terms are different, almost opposites in fact.

Centrifugal means "to flee the center".
    Centripetal means "to seek the center".

Imagine you have a ball tied to a string and you are swinging it in a circle. Centrifugal force is exerted by the ball on the string, pulling it tight. The ball wants to obey Newton's first law and travel in a straight line, not a circle.

Centripetal force is exerted by the string on the ball, altering it's flight path.

Newtons first law says that "objects in motion will continue in motion at a constant speed and in a straight line unless/until acted upon by another force". The string is the "other force" that prevents a straight line trajectory.

Dirk - did I get it right?
    The GECCO

You begin your riding career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by The GECCO View Post
    Bringing this one back from the dead, I guess I missed it the first time around until the chain oiler discussion...

Dirk (and Ricky) are correct. These forces/terms are different, almost opposites in fact.

Centrifugal means "to flee the center".
    Centripetal means "to seek the center".

Imagine you have a ball tied to a string and you are swinging it in a circle. Centrifugal force is exerted by the ball on the string, pulling it tight. The ball wants to obey Newton's first law and travel in a straight line, not a circle.

Centripetal force is exerted by the string on the ball, altering it's flight path.

Newtons first law says that "objects in motion will continue in motion at a constant speed and in a straight line unless/until acted upon by another force". The string is the "other force" that prevents a straight line trajectory.

Maybe you should change your name to: "Geeko"?

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

You better watch it!! Or else I'll talk about doing nasty things to your wife and then you'll be afraid of me!!
    The GECCO

You begin your riding career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

You better watch it!! Or else I'll talk about doing nasty things to your wife and then you'll be afraid of me!!
    I'd PAY you to do nasty things to my X!

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

Wouldn't this be a little like the next president raising Osama from the sea and shooting him in the head again?

1999 DR650SE

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forum...ad.php?t=39504

[SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

You have no idea how much I learned about the theory that centrifugal force isn't a real force and that it's just built up inertia. All because of this thread.

Anyway....
    2008 Honda CBR600RR - Graffiti
    2002 Yamaha WR250F

Wouldn't this be a little like the next president raising Osama from the sea and shooting him in the head again?
    I'm ok with that......

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

You did.

It's all about frames of reference. And talk about centrifugal force not being "real" is a clear sign that someone doesn't really understand physics as well as they think they do.
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post
    You did.

It's all about frames of reference. And talk about centrifugal force not being "real" is a clear sign that someone doesn't really understand physics as well as they think they do.
    A rock to the forehead from a sling (like David v. Goliath) should clear up that little physics misunderstanding for him!

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian