Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chain maintenance info:

Re: Chain maintenance info:

I take it back... for long distance, awesome.
    2008 Honda CBR600RR - Graffiti
    2002 Yamaha WR250F

Hayabusa Henry used to have an auto oiler he used, not sure but I think it was his own design. He used to refer to his bike as the Valdez for the amount of oil that covered his bike (and the road), but he got a ton of miles out of his chains.

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    Hayabusa Henry used to have an auto oiler he used, not sure but I think it was his own design. He used to refer to his bike as the Valdez for the amount of oil that covered his bike (and the road), but he got a ton of miles out of his chains.
    I remember that, it definately look like it was a "Barney Bolt-up" design. He had oil ALL over his bike, even down on the left side of the tire! Scary. When I saw that, I didn't want to be behind him or anywhere near him when we rode together. I was afraid he'd lean it over a little too far, get into all that oil, and skittle me. No thanks. That bike was disgusting with oil.

And, exactly how much is a "ton of mileage"? I get 20-25k miles, and that's good enough for me without all the oil spraying everywhere.

I think he did that mostly because he liked to do the "Ironbutt" rides, and didn't want to stop to lube the chain.
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Do you have www in the URL? like www.cosportbikeclub.org vs cosportbikeclub.org. There's cookie issues if you don't have the www in there.
    Yeah, but it's weird, in the address bar everything before and after is light grey except "cosportbikeclub.org". Weird.
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

Quote Originally Posted by SaShWhO View Post
    I put WD 40 on my tires when the cords start showing, take a couple of shots of Kerosene and then light my farts as I wheelie down I-25 at 275 mph
    I can see the smoke from the lit fart in your avatar!

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

well according to Scott's, there should only be approximately 1 drop per minute of lube. You'd have to not wash your bike for a year in order to have have enough lube sprayed all over to have it running down the tire.

1998 VFR800 Interceptor - resurrected and custom tail http://vfrworld.com/forums/5th-gener...98-vfr800.html

1999 DR650SE

One drop per minute? So considering one drop is only going to hit 1 link, and it's not going to spread all that far, it's going to take almost 2 hours to get 1 drop per link. And that's not even really enough to sufficiently lube the chain. AND it's likely not going to hit every link.

Don't like lubing your chain? Fine, just replace it slightly more frequently. I lubed an R1 chain maybe 5 times. It lasted more than 15k miles. Stock chain.

Stop getting your panties in a bunch everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by brennahm View Post
    One drop per minute? So considering one drop is only going to hit 1 link, and it's not going to spread all that far, it's going to take almost 2 hours to get 1 drop per link. And that's not even really enough to sufficiently lube the chain. AND it's likely not going to hit every link.

Don't like lubing your chain? Fine, just replace it slightly more frequently. I lubed an R1 chain maybe 5 times. It lasted more than 15k miles. Stock chain.

Stop getting your panties in a bunch everyone.
    Look who's talking?

Dude, you clean and prelube your chain normally. Then the scott keeps fresh lube applied. centrifugal force disperses the lube across multiple links. As you ride long distance and through rainshowers, the system is helping to disperse water. The distribution hose applies the lube to the rear sprocket where centrifugal force spreads it out. Maybe go read up on the system before having an opinion? If you don't like 1 drop, then increase the flow to more drops per minute. The point is, a properly working and adjusted system should lube your chain without coating the side of your bike in oil.

It doesn't eliminate the need to do chain maintenance but helps extend the intervals between.
    Last edited by TinkerinWstuff; Tue Mar 22nd, 2011 at 10:38 AM.
    1998 VFR800 Interceptor - resurrected and custom tail http://vfrworld.com/forums/5th-gener...98-vfr800.html

1999 DR650SE

alot of sport touring guys use the Scotts setup...I never saw the need to add complication to a relatively simple chain...

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerinWstuff View Post
    Look who's talking?
    Yeah, me. And?

Dude, you clean and prelube your chain normally. Then the scott keeps fresh lube applied. centrifugal force disperses the lube across multiple links.
    I thought the whole point of this system was because you were too lazy to properly maintain your chain? And the centriPETAL force would throw the lube OFF the chain in a vertical fashion. Sorry.

As you ride long distance and through rainshowers, the system is helping to disperse water.
    Water is not really the main enemy of a chain. The o-rings on modern chains do a very good job of keeping the internals clean and maintaining the grease inserted by the OEM. The purpose of cleaning is to remove dirt and grime that degrade these o-rings. I think a lot of people are confused about this fact. Once again, system is nearly useless.

The distribution hose applies the lube to the rear sprocket where centrifugal force spreads it out.
    Again, try HS physics principles.

Maybe go read up on the system before having an opinion?
    Read what? Some marketing literature? Or a write-up by a guy who has more gizmo's and doo dads on his bike than he can use in an hour? No thanks.

It doesn't eliminate the need to do chain maintenance but helps extend the intervals between.
    So once again, you're too lazy to do 2 minute maintenance but want to spend time and money buying, installing, and tuning a pretty much superfluous system?

And my panties comment was a teasing joke. Originally. Spend more time riding, less time worrying about problems that don't exist.

Actually, to correct you, centripetal force is a force drawing inward (i.e. earth's gravitational pull on satellites in orbit). Centrifugal force is the outward motion AWAY from the center of an object (i.e. oil on a spinning sprocket).
    2002 Yamaha WR250F

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

And the centriPETAL force would throw the lube OFF the chain in a vertical fashion. Sorry.
    Again, try HS physics principles.
    I'll just chuckle for now. I've got work to get done in the next couple of hours...

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

Water is not really the main enemy of a chain. The o-rings on modern chains do a very good job of keeping the internals clean and maintaining the grease inserted by the OEM. The purpose of cleaning is to remove dirt and grime that degrade these o-rings. I think a lot of people are confused about this fact. Once again, system is nearly useless.

So once again, you're too lazy to do 2 minute maintenance but want to spend time and money buying, installing, and tuning a pretty much superfluous system?

Spend more time riding, less time worrying about problems that don't exist.
    Beyond what's already been pointed out. I find it interesting that you say the system is useless, however you acknowledge there's a need to do 2 minute maintenance.

If a system like this is not for you, so be it. If you enjoy maintaining your chain, that's cool.

I will also add that I don't enjoy cleaning toilets or showers, regular household maintenance although they probably only take two minutes each as well. As a matter of fact, are you my wife?

There are a lot of 2 minutes in life and after a while they add up to a whole lot of time. I will definitely try to automate mundane tasks wherever possible so that I can spend more time RIDING and less time worrying about problems.

1999 DR650SE

Actually, they're the same thing, more of a generational vernacular.

It's all angular force having to do with angular momentum. Centripetal is a better way of describing what's happening, centrifugal force is argued by many to not even exist.

I'm out, you guys have fun.

It's all angular force having to do with angular momentum. Centripetal is a better way of describing what's happening, centrifugal force is argued by many to not even exist.
    So wait... They're the same thing, yet you are the one that brought out the fact that someone else misused the term?
    2002 Yamaha WR250F

I also use a timer on my sprinklers because I'm too lazy to walk out at 10pm to turn them on and off. Sometimes it's not laziness so much as being preoccupied playing motorboat between a pair of breasts. However I'm not so lazy as to have one of those fancy ass inground systems. I actually walk out there and physically move the sprinkler and hose.

I like my ice cube maker as I'm way too lazy to fuck around with those stupid trays or to run to the store when da peeps come over for drinks.

Pay at the pump is way cool because I'm too lazy to take two minutes to walk into the store and prepay my gas.

I'm sure there are many more examples of my laziness.

1999 DR650SE

I drive a car to work rather than riding my bicycle. That's because I'm fucking lazy.
    2002 Yamaha WR250F

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter 64BonnieLass's Avatar

It's that time of year where learning some of the tips and tricks that others use can be helpful. Time to dust off the cobwebs.

There are a lot of folks who like the information and can pick and choose for themselves. Also a lot of people with good information to share.

I am personally changing my old system listening to you guys. Sick of the grease everywhere effect, which is somewhat inevitable, but maybe I just need to be more patient with the process.
    "Keep that "what if" thought in the back of your mind; it's the angel on your shoulder balancing the devil in your right hand."

"There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those."

2005 SV650S Street

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

No, they are not at all. The both have very precise definitions in physics.

It's all angular force having to do with angular momentum. Centripetal is a better way of describing what's happening,
    That depends on the frame of reference.

centrifugal force is argued by many to not even exist.
    Only by people who think they know something about physics but really don't understand what they are talking about. I can explain it if you're interested.

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post
    No, they are not at all. The both have very precise definitions in physics.

That depends on the frame of reference.

Only by people who think they know something about physics but really don't understand what they are talking about. I can explain it if you're interested.

Dirk
    Cliff notes on Dr. Dirks post..........don't fuck with Dr. Dirk!

Ok, NOt being a physicist, here's my take on the Scott's oiler:
    If you're just using standard oil, that's not a proper chain lubricant, it's too light in viscosity to protect the chain as a normal chain lube will. I didn't read the manual on the oiler, but my guess it's "dropping" the oil on the outside of the chain. If so, it's NOT going to normally get on the tooth-to-roller interface on the INSIDE of the chain where it really needs to be, and being a light oil it'll get flung off anyways. Also, it won't be one drop on one link. At highway speeds, the linear speed of the chain racing by the orifice will mean multiple chain rollers will hit the drop spreading it out on a few links, but it will also want to splatter oil all over with little going where you need it. Try dropping oil onto a fan. Sure, SOME gets on the fan blades, but where does the rest go? Any guesses?I've seen Henry Hayabusa's bike, it was a total nightmare of splattered oil, and so was the leg of his leathers. No thanks. For reference, the old Hardley's (my buddy had one) used to drip engine oil onto the chain, and you could adjust how much. The oil got EVERYWHERE, dripped in a puddle when parked, and always left an oil stripe up the back of the rider's gear. Even Hardley stopped using this technique many years ago, why would anyone want to restart using it???

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

Quote Originally Posted by 64BonnieLass View Post
    It's that time of year where learning some of the tips and tricks that others use can be helpful. Time to dust off the cobwebs.

There are a lot of folks who like the information and can pick and choose for themselves. Also a lot of people with good information to share.

I am personally changing my old system listening to you guys. Sick of the grease everywhere effect, which is somewhat inevitable, but maybe I just need to be more patient with the process.
    Holy shit, a post from Terri! Hope all's well darlin'!

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

Quote Originally Posted by CYCLE_MONKEY View Post
    Ok, NOt being a physicist, here's my take on the Scott's oiler:

I didn't read the manual on the oiler, but my guess it's "dropping" the oil on the outside of the chain. If so, it's NOT going to normally get on the tooth-to-roller interface on the INSIDE of the chain where it really needs to be,
    So the oil from an automatic system, like Henry's home creation, flings oil everywhere across Gods creation, but NOT where it's supposed to be on the chain?

Also, it won't be one drop on one link. At highway speeds, the linear speed of the chain racing by the orifice will mean multiple chain rollers will hit the drop spreading it out on a few links, but it will also want to splatter oil all over with little going where you need it. Try dropping oil onto a fan. Sure, SOME gets on the fan blades, but where does the rest go? Any guesses?I've seen Henry Hayabusa's bike, it was a total nightmare of splattered oil, and so was the leg of his leathers. No thanks. For reference, the old Hardley's (my buddy had one) used to drip engine oil onto the chain, and you could adjust how much. The oil got EVERYWHERE, dripped in a puddle when parked, and always left an oil stripe up the back of the rider's gear. Even Hardley stopped using this technique many years ago, why would anyone want to restart using it???
    again, you are comparing a home grown system and an engine oil leak to a properly designed system for the job?

Doing more research, I've found I like this system too: http://www.pro-oiler.com/

The pro-oiler monitors distance traveled and pumps lubricant based on distance rather than gravity feeding over time. Scotts e' system has a higher price point and uses vibration monitoring rather than a speed sensor.

The eSystem is an electronically pumped motorcycle chain oiler requiring only a small power feed from the battery to operate. It can be installed to most bikes in under an hour by connecting the wiring loom to the battery; this plug and play connectivity means the eSystem is the easiest electronic motorcycle chain oiler ever developed. Unlike some other products there is no complicated wiring or tapping into speedometers or switches.
    It will sense when the engine is running and power on, then once moving - even at constant motorway cruising speeds - the sensor will monitor engine vibrations and trigger the eSystem’s oiling mode. The system displays this information on the screen along with the flow rate, temperature in Celsius, and oil level alongside the accelerometer readout in ‘G’.
    http://www.scottoiler.com/us/esystem/esystem.html

1999 DR650SE

I don't know why anyone would argue with tinker trying to keep him from doing this, I say go for it! And I recommend the $300 one it looks awesome.

The PRO-OILER is a total-loss lubrication system - the old dirty oil eventually flings off as it's replaced by new oil ("self-regeneration").
    I don't enjoy cleaning my chains all that much but I like cleaning that shit off off my bikes even less. BTW I have several cans of "High Quality" chain lube that I will never use again due to the nasty fling off.