Thread: Any FJ Cruiser owners?

Any FJ Cruiser owners?

Thoughts on your FJ please. Onroad, offroad, towing, rear seat accessibility, favorite thing and least favorite thing about it.

Im considering one in the future. I would be towing a 5x8 enclosed bike with trackday equipment fairly regularly but mostly locally. Would like to do more offroad than in my current silverado and have something more suited to it. Just easy to medium trails, nothing extreme. I do have a 3yr old daughter and want one more kid so there would be child seats in the back.

Thanks in advance.
    2006 Triumph Daytona 675-Track Only For Me!

AKA "Devaclis"

Re: Any FJ Cruiser owners?

Shoot Horsman a PM. We took his, loaded with 4 bikes on a trailer, to MOAB.
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Don't own an FJ but was looking at them when I was in the market for a 4x4 SUV like thing. Found they had some terrible blind spots because the C pillars are so wide. Back seats were cramped too, although not so much that you'd have any problem with kids in back. I ended up buying a Jeep Wrangler. While out wheeling, I've followed a couple FJ's down trails and they are WIDE. My JK is no svelt little dish, but it looks downright narrow compared to the FJ. If you're looking at new, there's a $1K edge to the Jeep Unlimited (base) vs the FJ (base) as well.

Unless you hate Chrysler or have a smokin deal on an FJ lined up, take a look at the Wrangler Unlimiteds too.

My boss has an FJ, and he loves it to death, but I think it's a cult thing if you ask me. He's got an 07, and you just don't have that great of a view from the driver's seat. I also don't care for the shorter wheelbase, which makes it squirley in the snow. He's also got 2 kids and it's great for them.

Personally, and I'm a Toyota guy, I'd not buy one. Plus, they've been discontinued.
    2008 Honda CBR600RR - Graffiti
    2002 Yamaha WR250F

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    My boss has an FJ, and he loves it to death, but I think it's a cult thing if you ask me. He's got an 07, and you just don't have that great of a view from the driver's seat. I also don't care for the shorter wheelbase, which makes it squirley in the snow. He's also got 2 kids and it's great for them.

Personally, and I'm a Toyota guy, I'd not buy one. Plus, they've been discontinued.
    It's not an FJ thing, it's a Toyota thing

I've always been interested in these as well. I've seen some pretty built FJs doing some trails that would make TJ owners' butts pucker.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    It's not an FJ thing, it's a Toyota thing

I've always been interested in these as well. I've seen some pretty built FJs doing some trails that would make TJ owners' butts pucker.
    Driver mod. Seen plenty of mild TJ's work built FJ's. I'm not a fan of the FJ's at all. Visibility sucks and they are ugly as shit. I did see a pretty cool SAS FJ a few years tho. Get a new Taco, toss a blower and mild lift on it and call it a day

The FJ looked appealing for its better towing ablility over the Jeep unlimited. Id love to have a Jeep but I want something thats better at towing to track days.

^^ Jeeps are great... until you actually need to use it for something more than a toy. I had a TJ for a while. It was fun to take up in the hills and beat up, but totally impractical for an "every day" car. Not to mention that it has been the only car I've ever owned that got stuck in the snow...
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!

I have an FJ and love it. Dislikes are it is hard to get into the back seats but there is a lot of room once you are in. Rear visibility sucks but I have a backup camera and live with it just fine. It has real good traction control for off road but not a lot of ground clearance. I do not use mine for hard core off road anyway.

It is very comfortable and handles great. I would do it all over again.

Marc
    84 R100RS LE, 14 Ducati MTSGT, 18 Desert Sled, 73 850 Commando, 78 CT90, 14 Ural, 74 Eldorado police, 64 R50/2, 01 DRZ400E, 94 900SS/CR, 77 HD XLCR, 2011 T100, 63 MG Falcone', 75 Ducati 860GT, 2015 Royal Enfield Classic Chrome, 2009 XR1200, 1944 Nimbus, 1989 GB500 https://lomaxcm.smugmug.com/

three wipers are cool.

Well, I just got hit by a drunk driver last week in my FJ. I rolled 5 times down a steep embankment. It was a horrific accident, and I almost died. I was airlifted to a nearby hospital. I don't want to get into to many details because the drunk driver didn't stop and there is an on going investigation. I was traveling at interstate speeds and was hit by someone going about 40mph faster than I (according to witnesses).

The entire driver & passenger compartments remained in tack and held their shape. If I would have had other people in the vehicle they would have lived too. I have photos of the truck after it was towed to the junkyard. When you see it and know the facts you'll never believe anyone could have lived through it. Needless to say; the experience has changed my life and how I am going to live my life. I shouldn't be here.

I almost can't talk about my FJ without crying, because that vehicle is why I'm still here. I am currently shopping for a replacement as soon as I get my insurance check.

The last time I filled up I got 24.7mpg on the interstate with the cruise set at 70mph. I usually got about 18-19 around town, but I drove it like a grandma.

Please PM if you want more details about the vehicle; I'd be happy to tell WHY YOU SHOULD BY ONE.
    2011 KTM 690 Enduro (w/ SuMo Setup)
    2008 Honda CBR600RR Graffiti
    2002 DRZ400E

Wow... That's quite a testimony.

Good to see you still with us Mathman.

Anyone tow with theirs?

Good on the trails?

I really want to get one of the old Fj40s and fix them up.

But to answer your question. The original release of the FJ Cruiser (2006/2007) was pretty bad, a handful of mechanical defaults. After working on the problems the more recent FJ Cruisers are excellent, consumer report's recommended. Toyota has a reputation for quality heavy-duty towing with the Tundra and economic yet durable Tacoma.

As far as their off-road capabilities go they're excellent. But seriously they are great off-road, especially with a lift and good tires.
    Last edited by Vellos; Thu Mar 24th, 2011 at 12:07 AM.
    George Mock | 2008 ZX6R | GoPro Hero | 3:551 5806

Love mine. Drives great, good power, full-time 4wd. Vision is fine for driving, its just weird at first but you get used to it (I do have a camera for backing up though). In the snow its great, almost too good. The stability control and 4wd really keep it in control.....at the expense of having any fun (there is a mod to shut off stability control). I haven't towed but the short wheelbase may not be the best for that, but towing a few bikes to a trackday should be no problem at all.

I haven't taken it much offroad yet but soon will. Check out FJcruiserforum.com, good resource. PM with any questions too.
    To those dead souls inching along the freeways in their metal coffins,... ..we show them that the human spirit is still alive

Hyper 1100
    KTM 450 XCW

I off-roaded a bit in Moab and dang....it's amazing. The seriously crazy part is that you get a kick-ass off road vehicle and it drives great on the highway. I had a 2005 Jeep Rubicon and it kind of sucked. It was cool and all, but I was getting about 14 mpg, maybe 17 tops on the highway. And, driving the jeep as a daily driver or on longer trips was NOT good. Do your research and learn about the A-Trac instead of having a locking front differential and it makes a lot of sense. It's like a technological break through for an alternative to the front locking diff set-up.....pretty cool. The stability control on the FJ is quite amazing too. When I came around a corner trying to get the back end to slide out on purpose the stability control started breaking different tires and in a second I was right on track. Also, the traction control is so good that you don't need 4WD high unless the snow is way deep.
    2002 DRZ400E

Quote Originally Posted by Vellos View Post
    I really want to get one of the old Fj40s and fix them up.

But to answer your question. The original release of the FJ Cruiser (2006/2007) was pretty bad, a handful of mechanical defaults. After working on the problems the more recent FJ Cruisers are excellent, consumer report's recommended. Toyota has a reputation for quality heavy-duty towing with the Tundra and economic yet durable Tacoma.

As far as their off-road capabilities go they're excellent. But seriously they are great off-road, especially with a lift and good tires.
    If you have the scratch...

http://www.icon4x4.com/

Pretty cool IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
    If you have the scratch...

http://www.icon4x4.com/

Pretty cool IMO
    Those are cool, but I couldn't find a price tag anywhere so I'm guessing it's way out of my range. I just wanted to buy a not-completely dead FJ40 and fix it up to decent condition.
    George Mock | 2008 ZX6R | GoPro Hero | 3:551 5806

im a toyota guy forever, from the older trucks, tacos, tundra. i love the fj, but not as much as my old 1979 fj40. and i hate the "its a jeep thing" sticker, so i got one that says "I got your jeep thing and now it burns when i pee"

i like the new fj's they for some reason remind me of a teenage mutant ninja turtle but some of the guys i used to do moab with always plowed thru everything will little to no problem..
    Last edited by usmcab35; Fri Mar 25th, 2011 at 10:52 AM.
    -Eugene-

2007 black hayabusa touring beast
    2003 KTM 525sx/exc hybrid
    2002 black and blue hayabusa- (SOLD)
    2000 ZX7R STREETFIGHTER-(SOLD)

Quote Originally Posted by Vellos View Post
    Those are cool, but I couldn't find a price tag anywhere so I'm guessing it's way out of my range. I just wanted to buy a not-completely dead FJ40 and fix it up to decent condition.
    They are pricey.

Can always do a restomod. Here's one a guy I know built. 80 Series drivetrain. This thing is sick

Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
    They are pricey.

Can always do a restomod. Here's one a guy I know built. 80 Series drivetrain. This thing is sick

This......is.......a......beautiful thing! Wow!
    2002 DRZ400E

Dissconected from this world

I have had 2....LOVED THEM BOTH!
    Got rid of them because of the gas was not bad but needed to be improved (work in lakewood, live in brighton), I have towed 2 DB's on a 4x8 @ 91mph with np. The biggest hate was the blindspot was HUGE! check those mirrors!. I can't say anything bad about them. I WANT MINE BACK!

Dissconected from this world

Ohh forgot to add make sure your insurance has free coverage for winshield repair and replacement. Went through 3 between both in 2 years. Very very weak and prone to cracks.