Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which Exhaust Do You Like?

Only here for the free Wi-Fi Site Admin Spiderman's Avatar

Re: Which Exhaust Do You Like?

Quote Originally Posted by R6biker122 View Post
    Keeping the stock pipe on my R6 is not going to happen so stop telling me to do so.
    No one's telling you to do anything of the sort. You asked which exhaust we liked, and a couple of people mentioned OEM, and gave their reasons why.

I don't get the theory of people saying that just because someone would like an aftermarket pipe means they can't ride. This is ridiculous.
    Wanting an aftermarket pipe does not mean they can't ride... Wanting an aftermarket pipe because they believe "loud pipes save live" means they don't have the skill/training/confidence to operate a motorcycle safely on public roads.

Just like riding with your brights during the daytime helps save lives, i think it is fair to say that a little more noise may be effective as well.
    See my previous comment.

Now once again... not talking about getting a D&D pipe.. Everything in moderation.
    If only everybody had this mentality, then maybe we (as motorcyclists) wouldn't be facing the legislative issues that we are. You sound like you have reasonable wants and expectations, but the next guy wants it a bit louder, and before you know it, you end up with the assclown that's running his R6 with no muffler at all, going down Wadsworth with the flow of morning traffic, making so much noise that it was uncomfortable for me to drive my car near him with the windows down.

Quote Originally Posted by jbnwc View Post
    As a biker driving my car home from work one day 2 yrs ago I darn near ran over a stock CBR(I think) while he was hanging in my blind spot on Lincoln Ave because I couldn't see or hear him. If that was you; sorry.
    You: Shoulder check.
    Biker (ALL Bikers): Don't ride in a car's blind spot!!!
    Bob <------ Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you
         - 2002 Yamaha R1 (92K+ miles... bought new) ---------------------------------------->
         - 2015 Yamaha Bolt C-Spec (Cafe Racer)
         - 2004 Yamaha R6 (racebike)
         - 2006 Yamaha R1 (racebike)
    R.I.P. 502
    ~ Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out, it isn't the end.

Spiderman, i hear man. good points. I agree. But still am going for a different sound from the exhaust pipe. Afterall, when i ride with my dad's Harley i can't even hear my damn bike..

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

I want an aftermarket exhaust because the cat scraps every time I go over a speed bump and well, the whole exhaust weighs 12 lbs (not that I need more horsepower or anything), but I'd rather it not be louder. Loud pipes don't save lives. Riding skill and paying attention to everything around you saves lives. You usually can't hear a sportbike until after it's passed you. I'm alive today because I paid attention to the stupid lady and knew she was gonna turn in front of me. My friend didn't see her and she killed him cause she didn't see him either. You can do what ever you want to your bike, but making it louder just makes people angry. Get an aftermarket exhaust for the right reasons (weight, or performance), not to add noise on the road.
    "With every broken bone, I swear I lived."

weight reduction and a little more horses will be nice as well as appreciating the beautiful sound that some of these exhausts are capable of creating.

Wellll, just a little back on topic...

I say Akra if you can handle it. I'd probably line up the Leo Vince second. From my experience (limited, mostly internet based) the Leo's are a little louder than the Akra's, but the Akra's sound better and have a somewhat deeper tone. Models with baffles are also a plus.

I've got a set of Akra slipons sitting in my garage (finally get to put them on next weekend!!!!!) and they're dead sexy, VERY well made, but I paid almost $1500 for them. Granted, my bike has dual exhaust and the Slip-ons included a high-flow all metal catalytic converter, but the MSRP on the things is like $2100. (303 Cycle hooked it up, like always.)

One important thing to note about the Akra's, they have a street legal version, which gives almost a7HP boost to my bike and will meet both smog AND noise regulations with the baffles in.
    '12 BMW S 1000 RR
    '11 Suzuki V-Strom DL-650 *SOLD*
    '07 Aprilia RSV R Factory *SOLD*

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Wellll, just a little back on topic...

I say Akra if you can handle it. I'd probably line up the Leo Vince second. From my experience (limited, mostly internet based) the Leo's are a little louder than the Akra's, but the Akra's sound better and have a somewhat deeper tone. Models with baffles are also a plus.

I've got a set of Akra slipons sitting in my garage (finally get to put them on next weekend!!!!!) and they're dead sexy, VERY well made, but I paid almost $1500 for them. Granted, my bike has dual exhaust and the Slip-ons included a high-flow all metal catalytic converter, but the MSRP on the things is like $2100. (303 Cycle hooked it up, like always.)

One important thing to note about the Akra's, they have a street legal version, which gives almost a7HP boost to my bike and will meet both smog AND noise regulations with the baffles in.
    Yeah, i do like the Akra exhaust. i think they sound good. They seem like they're pretty expensive for full and slip on systems though. Thanks for all the useful advice. I think I will get the LEO vince.

From my experience (limited, mostly internet based) the Leo's are a little louder than the Akra's, but the Akra's sound better and have a somewhat deeper tone. Models with baffles are also a plus.
    I never really go by what a total stranger tells me, and double that for the internet.
    And you have seen this improvement where? On a dyno? Or on paper? From the manufacturer, under ideal circumstances buy a tune tinkered with until they could come up with that? And you bought into it.

Sorry, slipons hardly ever deliver that kind of hp gains. The police are looking for the EPA stamp that says that the pipe is the pipe for that particular bike and falls under a certain dba, they really don't care if the literature says it's quite as stock.
    The only real gain is the actual weight loss which is substatial but minimal in terms of actual usable performance gain.
    If you gain 2 hp actual and lose 7 lbs -(= 1 hp) and you pay $500 for a slip on you are at almost $150 per hp gained at max. Wow sounds like a deal to me.
    Get the thing mapped properly for $150 and I bet you get more performance gain especially where you can use it. Spend the rest on track days where you can use it. If you want performance get a full system and get it mapped.

Area P for my choice.
    '16 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
    '12 Kawasaki Concours14 -
    Sold
    '08 Kawasaki Concours14 -
    Sold
    '05 Suzuki SV1000S - Sold
    '07 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    I never really go by what a total stranger tells me, and double that for the internet.

And you have seen this improvement where? On a dyno? Or on paper? From the manufacturer, under ideal circumstances buy a tune tinkered with until they could come up with that? And you bought into it.

http://www.akrapovic.com/motorcycle-...007/slip-on-1/

And the "experience" wasn't based on what people on the Interwebs told me. Just hit up youtube and you can find hundreds of videos of different bikes with different exhausts on them, and you can find all sorts of people who DO have dyno results showing the HP gains, etc, and I'm combining the exhaust with a PC-V and high flow intake, which will absolutely give me a greater than 6 HP gain when everythings tuned in right, and I wouldn't be able to do all that stock.
    Last edited by Sarge; Fri Apr 1st, 2011 at 07:13 PM.
    '12 BMW S 1000 RR
    '11 Suzuki V-Strom DL-650 *SOLD*
    '07 Aprilia RSV R Factory *SOLD*

Senior Member Yearly Supporter Tylar's Avatar

I love my stock exhaust. I really enjoy the fact that for one-tenth of the cost of the "ideal" exhaust, I was able to re-baffle the mufflers and get a sound that I have yet to hear on my year of bike....

I should note that what I saved in money, i spent in beer and frustration with a goose beating the crap out of them trying to get the inserts out....
    -Tylar

2009: 2009 GSXR 600 *wifey's*
    2010: 2008 YZF-R1

what a choppy torque curve...

I've had a few different pipes on my bikes over the years, I love my full yoshi exhaust better than all. It's got a nice tone but doesn't sound like a straight pipe.
    -Eugene-

2007 black hayabusa touring beast
    2003 KTM 525sx/exc hybrid
    2002 black and blue hayabusa- (SOLD)
    2000 ZX7R STREETFIGHTER-(SOLD)

You guys are vicious. I have a full Akra EVO and it's not as much as an audible abortion as some of you make it out to be. It also has a removable baffel. It's the same for everything, don't be a tool. Yeah it's loud, when you rev it like a boss. Under normal circumstances, if you keep it under control, it's not that loud. The issue sounds more like an add-on citation for people riding like idiots; if you don't do the latter, it'll preclude the former.

Quote Originally Posted by TransNone13 View Post
    You guys are vicious. I have a full Akra EVO and it's not as much as an audible abortion as some of you make it out to be. It also has a removable baffel. It's the same for everything, don't be a tool. Yeah it's loud, when you rev it like a boss. Under normal circumstances, if you keep it under control, it's not that loud. The issue sounds more like an add-on citation for people riding like idiots; if you don't do the latter, it'll preclude the former.
    Ya TransNone, i suspect that it wont be that much louder, just sound a bit different. I'm with ya on that one.

get a cruiser and be done with it. My neighbor stands in his garage throttle tuning his motors for all the neighborhood to hear while hoping to get a hardon he can see past his giant beer gut.

I don't ride for sound and would be happy if my bike was silent.

My bike does have a Yoshi but that's because the previous owner wasted his money on it.
    1998 VFR800 Interceptor - resurrected and custom tail http://vfrworld.com/forums/5th-gener...98-vfr800.html

1999 DR650SE

i heard a yosh the other day. they don't seem loud at all. They also seem extremely popular.

i heard a yosh the other day. they don't seem loud at all. They also seem extremely popular.
    Yosh often have a silencer core. Go on youtube and listen to all the exhaust systems for an R6.