Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stove Prairie 1 - Interceptor 0 ?

Stove Prairie 1 - Interceptor 0 ?

Not mine and didn't see it happen but I went up Rist and north on Stove Prairie yesterday to find that an apex cattle guard and pounds of scattered gravel took out a 1st gen Interceptor 750.

Looked like probably a lowside at lower speed. Bike standing up down off the road leaning against a barbed wire fence. Snapped some pics and will probably try to attach one later. Hope dude was alright!
    1998 VFR800 Interceptor - resurrected and custom tail http://vfrworld.com/forums/5th-gener...98-vfr800.html

1999 DR650SE

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Re: Stove Prairie 1 - Interceptor 0 ?

That's a real bummer. No need to be wrecking those.
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

when I first flew by it, I thought it could have been my old 500 that sold last year. Don't see a lot of those 1st gens around. Stopped and walked back with the camera to find it wasn't a 500.

When I came back down a couple hours later it was still there. I'm guessing the owner would be mailed a ticket if a cop drove by and found it down there?
    1998 VFR800 Interceptor - resurrected and custom tail http://vfrworld.com/forums/5th-gener...98-vfr800.html

1999 DR650SE

1999 DR650SE

That's an '85 700. Bummer.

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

hopefully the rider is OK...maybe I'll go leave a note on it leaving my # incase he needs help moving it...

That looks like the north side of Stove Prairie, damn cattle guards.
    George Mock | 2008 ZX6R | GoPro Hero | 3:551 5806

Quote Originally Posted by Vellos View Post
    That looks like the north side of Stove Prairie, damn cattle guards.
    Quote Originally Posted by TinkerinWstuff View Post
    <snip>I went up Rist and north on Stove Prairie <snip>

1999 DR650SE

In my defense, half of what you post is nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Vellos View Post
    In my defense, half of what you post is nonsense.
    Fair enough

1999 DR650SE

Who puts a cattle guard at the apex of a turn?
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by MetaLord 9 View Post
    Government workers? A fair amount of gravel there too.

--Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post
    unfair amount of gravel there too.
    fixed

1999 DR650SE

Hopefully they either 1. got a lift from someone they were riding with, or 2. got up, made a phone call and got picked up. It doesn't look like the bike is too bad, hopefully he/she's fine.

Quote Originally Posted by MetaLord 9 View Post
    There's 1 at the last turn on the southern top, and like 3 on the north side. It's really stupid... but at least most of them aren't in a turn.

Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post
    Government workers?
    You mean these guys?

[SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

I've also heard nasty rumors about residents on that road dumping sand and gravel on the turns to injure or kill bikers. I don't know that I've been able to prove that, but sometimes I see WAY too much sand on the road, way too late in the season. Makes me think there's truth to that.

That's a nice but dangerous road even under the best of conditions. Lot of blind corners. Try riding it in the wet and hitting those slippery cattle-guards! Right Pilot and Sortarican?

As far as the idiot DOT guys, well, I've got a story: Ever see the pic of a dead critter painted over with a double yellow because the guy couldn't be bothered to scrape it off the road before painting? Well, I thought it was a funny staged or photochopped photo.......until I SAW that exact thing on a freshly painted road in Ohio years back!
    Last edited by CYCLE_MONKEY; Wed Apr 6th, 2011 at 11:01 AM.
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

the road doesn't get enough traffic to clean it off...aside from the 3.5 people that live up there and us, nobody takes those roads...

also, there are quite a few places that have clusters of houses close to the road, if I lived up there and had a bunch of leather-clad asshats dragging knee in front of my driveway, I'd be inclined to install a speedbump or gravel trap as well...just imagine having a bunch of people flying up and down your street on sport bikes when your kids are outside playing, what would you say/do?

even if it is intentional, which I 100% believe it is not...it is not to injure or kill bikers, it is to make asshats slow the hell down on public roads...you should be riding to your own ability and the road conditions, blaming gravel in the event of a crash is just another name for rider error.
    Last edited by OUTLAWD; Wed Apr 6th, 2011 at 11:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OUTLAWD View Post
    the road doesn't get enough traffic to clean it off...aside from the 3.5 people that live up there and us, nobody takes those roads...

also, there are quite a few places that have clusters of houses close to the road, if I lived up there and had a bunch of leather-clad asshats dragging knee in front of my driveway, I'd be inclined to install a speedbump or gravel trap as well...just imagine having a bunch of people flying up and down your street on sport bikes when your kids are outside playing, what would you say/do?

even if it is intentional, which I 100% believe it is not...it is not to injure or kill bikers, it is to make asshats slow the hell down on public roads...you should be riding to your own ability and the road conditions, blaming gravel in the event of a crash is just another name for rider error.
    Second that.....
    2011 KTM 690 Enduro (w/ SuMo Setup)
    2008 Honda CBR600RR Graffiti
    2002 DRZ400E

^+2

+3

1999 DR650SE

I know that turn...
    Respect and truth trump all!
    I don't get lost. I explore.

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Quote Originally Posted by OUTLAWD View Post

I read a story not long ago where a woman in OR or WA was found guilty of stringing a wire across the road specifically for bikers. She almost killed the guy. Regardless of intent (which is malicious at best and murderous at worst) the thing is that people CAN get injured or killed because of someone intentionally and ILLEGALLY putting a dangerous substance in the road. That's blind vigilante-ism at it's worst. Like the people that spike trees in OR or the people that dig pits and fill them with scrap metal along the Barstow to Vegas routes and in Baja. Yes, you should be riding for conditions, but what if some asshat puts down a light oil or coolant that's invisible to the eye? Just like you cannot put a trap on your own property to injure or kill a tresspasser, you sure can't do it on a public road. I'd personally peel the skin off someone I saw doing that......and roll 'em in salt.
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

1999 DR650SE