Thread: Anyone travel to Peru?

Anyone travel to Peru?

I had good luck in the past with asking, so here goes again. We have planned a trip to Peru in Sept, wondering if anyone has been there and what they would and wouldn't go do?

I have wanted to visit Machu Pichu ever since I was little, so the wifey finally agreed. Also planning on Lake Titicaca and the Colco Canyon.

Any other recommendations?

And no, we will not being doing any motorcycle stuff. She isn't a big fan of bicycles, so likely no riding.
    The closest thing to immortality on this earth is a Federal government program - RR

Re: Anyone travel to Peru?

I traveled there with my friends in August 2007. We hiked the Inca Trail for 4 days, 3 nights to Machu Picchu. We also spent a couple days before and after the big hike to tool around Cuzco, Sacred Valley, Aguas Caliente, and half my group also did the Nazca Lines.

Definitely do Machu Picchu; I recommend the hiking trip waaaaay over taking the train day-trip. It was incredible to see the flora and fauna up close, and it gave me an appreciation for what the ancient Incas used to build, maintain, and run everyday to deliver messages and whatnot. The hike requires you get a trail permit EARLY ON; therefore, make reservations with a company soon, and depending on the number in your group (or if you were assigned to a group), you will get at least one guide and a team of porters. When I went, this was NOT optional as it guaranteed jobs for the locals. I loved our porters and our guides... we introduced them to throwing a frisbee, and I'll never forget the grins on their faces. Oh yeah, and the Andes are EFFIN INCREDIBLE.

As far as the Nazca Lines, I didn't do this portion, but my friends who did were under-impressed as they all said the ground art was smaller than expected and the pilot kept making them sick. My opinion is that my friends were exhausted after the hike, and that Machu Picchu had been so awesome that everything else paled in comparison.

Cuzco was neat- be sure to check out the markets and several of the town squares. Wish I could've gone to Lake Titicaca, if only to say the name over and over again.

Finally, I'm assuming rebuilds have occurred since those devastating floods in early 2010? (Photo of flood in the article: if you look in the far distance, I stayed in the 4th hotel from the end of the line of buildings, when it was dry of course!)

If you want more details on the trip, PM me and I can tell you all about it. I can also send you a link to all the Peru photos I took.
    Last edited by aerofaze; Fri Apr 8th, 2011 at 11:11 AM.
    '09 Duc Monster 696
    '00 Suz SV650 (Dad's, garaged with mine)
    I like mountains because they make me feel small.

http://www.rapidfirebunker.com
    $15 FFL TRANSFERS. $15 Private Transfers
    Emergency Preparedness Store, Survival BULK Food, knives, Guns, Ammo, FREEDOM

Quote Originally Posted by puckstr View Post

Haha, it will be a hard sell to send her out alone with no Spanish and meet her 3 days later. 2 up dirt ride might be a tuff sell. But that looks awesome.

Aero, PM a' coming.
    The closest thing to immortality on this earth is a Federal government program - RR

Oh yeah, we also have 10 days total todo stuff so are planning on night trains and flying location to location instead of car rentals.

Yeah, I've been there. Peru is great, really nice people and fantastic culture.

- Go to machu Picchu, it's really cool. I did a multi day hike on the Salkantay trail. It was pretty good. You can book those in Cuzco, don't do it here. You'll pay way to much.
    - Cuzco is a fun city to hang out in. Cheap massages (regular, not happy ending)
    - lots of mtn biking and whitewater rafting out of cuzco
    - colca canyon in arequipa is supposed to be really nice (I didn't make it there).
    - Lima is....a big south american city. It's okay, but I didn't love it.
    - you can take a bus to Puno and see Lake titicaca

You can take flights to major cities, but buses are cheap. They take a lot longer but if you can handle sleeping on an overnight bus, it's the way to go. Most arrangements can be made when you get there. It's hard to find cheap prices over the internet.
    Last edited by Sean; Sat May 18th, 2013 at 12:52 PM.

Capt Obv: thanks for the PM. I'll send you one when I get home after work- I've got all the details there! Kinda jealous but really excited for you...
    '09 Duc Monster 696

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    Oh yeah, we also have 10 days total todo stuff so are planning on night trains and flying location to location instead of car rentals.
    Trains are pretty limited and can be pricy. Not sure about the one from cuzco to puno? busses are much more common.

Domestic flights are best through LAN airlines. If you can book it through the spanish website (instead of english) you'll get a better price.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Yeah, I've been there. Peru is great, really nice people and fantastic culture.

- Go to machu Picchu, it's really cool. I did a multi day hike on the Salkantay trail. It was pretty good. You can book those in Cuzco, don't do it here. You'll pay way to much.
    - Cuzco is a fun city to hang out in. Cheap massages (regular, not happy ending)
    - lots of mtn biking and whitewater rafting out of cuzco
    - colca canyon in arequipa is supposed to be really nice (I didn't make it there).
    - Lima is....a big south american city. It's okay, but I didn't love it.
    - you can take a bus to Puno and see Lake titicaca

You can take flights to major cities, but buses are cheap. They take a lot longer but if you can handle sleeping on an overnight bus, it's the way to go. Most arrangements can be made when you get there. It's hard to find cheap prices over the internet.
    Freaking awesome pic.

We have 5 months? before we go, but already excited. Had to book so far out to use my airline miles.

From the pic it looks like a really cool place to travel, lots of history there.
    "Whatever is begun in anger ends in shame" - Benjamin Franklin

SV650

My sister studied abroad there for a semester, do you want me to have her try and contact you?
    Nathaniel
    13 DRZ400SM (mine) -- 08 CBR 600RR (wife's) -- 06 GSX-R 600 (sold)
    I don't always test my code, but when I do, I do it in production.

The Lake and Nasca are awesome, when you hit Machu Pichu, make SURE to plan time to hike (Huayna Picchu or Wayna Picchu), the mountain in the back ground of the Machu Pichu ruins... It is quite literally a rock peak at the top, amazing views. Be weary of fellow tourists though - we had a cell phone ring right as we got to the top, and everybody erupted in anger to the disturbance. It's a different place to be, for sure! I brought back 2 awesome hats! Another good souvenir are the upside down water jars - you'll see what I mean. Also, can I give you some money to bring back some Alpacca sweaters for me? Super cheap over there, and the warmest warm wool EVAR! Great for riding in winter! Mine is starting to fray...
    Respect and truth trump all!
    I don't get lost. I explore.

Damn, this thread is taking me back to some incredible memories...

Sharing a few pics from my '07 trip:
    #1: Taken from a rooftop bar of Cuzco's main square (one of several), towards dusk
    #2: Roast Guinea Pig, or cuy, with papas and maiz (correct me if I'm wrong, my Spanish is rusty) at a restaurant our 1st night in Cuzco (glad I tried it cuz I don't ever have to do so again)
    #3: Locals with alpaca
    #4: Passion Flower; Peruvian blooms and orchids RAWK
    #5: Me & my ex in a part of Machu Picchu; we had just completed our Inca Trail hike a couple hours before.
    '09 Duc Monster 696