Thread: Is this a new phishing technique on Craig's List?

Is this a new phishing technique on Craig's List?

Here's an ad for a driver in the "general labor" and "transport" sections on Denver's Craig's List.

http://denver.craigslist.org/lab/2318280114.html

I wasn't 100% sure what "Familiarity and experience with the communicative approach" meant, so I Googled it and pulled up ads from other states with the exact same wording as the ad on CL, but with different email addresses. All the addresses are gmail accounts, so I'm suspicious.

Here are a few of the Google results.

Google results

I would really like this job, but it seems fishy!!
    Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M

Re: Is this a new phishing technique on Craig's List?

I'm hesitant when ANYONE lists an email address right there in the ad.
    2008 Honda CBR600RR - Graffiti
    2002 Yamaha WR250F

I just assume that everything on CL is BS nowadays...

Quote Originally Posted by OUTLAWD View Post
    I just assume that everything on CL is BS nowadays...
    werd...

take something good and find a way to ruin it seems to be a reasonable business model for people these days.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

What the heck...reply using a disposable email address, and see how much spam you receive. Post the results here for our amusement.
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

google turns up the same listing in CO, TX and FL. Fake.
    1998 CBR600F3 "Desert Storm" - SOLD

WAS keeping the banana seat alive!

I had put my gsxr on CL over the weekend and received nothing but individuals trying to phish me.

1. attempted to verify the right ad by directing my a malicious mirror looking site. the url used ...craiqslist.org gave it away. Not to mention it was the logon for your ad, which smelled phishy

2. another asked that he pay with paypal and his buddy was going to pick up the bike
    2006 DRZ SM
    2003 RIZLA GSX-R 1000 (sold)
    2008 R6

That really sucks! I'm desperately trying to find a job, ANY JOB, and now I have to deal with fake bullshit?!?! Hard to keep a good state of mind when you're being fucked with when looking for work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Kim & Dean

Crazy because you actually have to pay real money to post job ads on craigslist.
    2002 Yamaha WR250F

Quote Originally Posted by pauliep View Post
    I had put my gsxr on CL over the weekend and received nothing but individuals trying to phish me.

1. attempted to verify the right ad by directing my a malicious mirror looking site. the url used ...craiqslist.org gave it away. Not to mention it was the logon for your ad, which smelled phishy

2. another asked that he pay with paypal and his buddy was going to pick up the bike

I'm pretty sure craigslist.org is the legitimate site. The .com website just redirects to the .org site.
    www.cocsba.com

'00 ZX12R
    '03 SV1000

Quote Originally Posted by jbnwc View Post
    I'm pretty sure craigslist.org is the legitimate site. The .com website just redirects to the .org site.
    Yeah, but craiqslist (with a Q) and craigslist (with a G) are two completely different sites

Quote Originally Posted by jbnwc View Post
    by the way, what was your email address again? lol

06 DR650SE

Here was the email...

I want to buy your motorcycle that I asked about earlier. I think it's the one here:
    http://mcy.ads-craiqslists.org/23134446531.html
    Please tell me if anything is wrong with it because I really want it. Thank you.
    Then another one today

fromcraigslist.org <noreply@craigslist-accounts.org>reply-toslickap5@infocontactsdeetails.com
    to********.com
    dateTue, Apr 12, 2011 at 10:12 AMsubjectImportant Craigslist Notification for skidrock7@gmail.com
    hide details 10:12 AM (53 minutes ago)

Warning: This message may not be from whom it claims to be. Beware of following any links in it or of providing the sender with any personal information. Learn more

Important Craigslist Information for ******

CRAIGSLIST TERMS OF USE We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to change, modify or otherwise alter your account at any time. Therefore your account has been blocked. Common reasons include:
    • Essentially you posted the same item to multiple cities or categories, or more than once in 48 hours
    • Your post contains a link or URL to a commercial website or auction
    • Your ad appears to contain a phone #, email address, or URL
    To avoid deletion of your Craigslist account please Sign In :
    Click here to confirm your Craigslist account.

Thanks,
    Craigslist team

2006 DRZ SM
    2003 RIZLA GSX-R 1000 (sold)
    2008 R6

Quote Originally Posted by Kim-n-Dean View Post
    That really sucks! I'm desperately trying to find a job, ANY JOB, and now I have to deal with fake bullshit?!?! Hard to keep a good state of mind when you're being fucked with when looking for work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think any legitimate job offer will be so vague in it's requirements. Go to Monster or some site that is looking for real qualified candidates to feel positions. Or work with a recruiter to find a desired position. Almost everything on CL is just looking for the next sucker. You probably won't find some exotic mysterious job driving sensitive materials around like in the Transporter movies; more like some job in a cubicle like in office space, but hey it's a paycheck. I am sure you have posted it at somepoint before, but what kind of work are you looking for. I work for a large healthcare system and there are numerous openings for varying skills and experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Riverdog View Post
    I don't think any legitimate job offer will be so vague in it's requirements. Go to Monster or some site that is looking for real qualified candidates to feel positions. Or work with a recruiter to find a desired position. Almost everything on CL is just looking for the next sucker. You probably won't find some exotic mysterious job driving sensitive materials around like in the Transporter movies; more like some job in a cubicle like in office space, but hey it's a paycheck.
    Actually, there are lots of legitimate jobs on CL that are very vague in their descriptions. You got to think about who's writing the ads. If it's a driving job or warehouse type stuff, it's probably Bubba writing the ad. Others are vague on purpose. Such as the ad I answered the other day and it was sales. They didn't want you to know that until you were at the interview. I wouldn't hang up until they told me. I don't like wasting time.

I am sure you have posted it at somepoint before, but what kind of work are you looking for. I work for a large healthcare system and there are numerous openings for varying skills and experience.
    I'm looking for anything, but I'm an architect.
    Kim & Dean

I replied to an ad yesterday and asked for more details and the reply is below.

Looks like a scam, but the info he requested is already available to the public. What can he gain by me sending my name, address and phone number? Too bad too. This would have been perfect!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------
    Dear Applicant,
    Thanks for responding to the advert on
    Craig-list .I am Mr Lewis Parker and I am based in Australia and i am
    a business man and will be coming to the Unites States for a business
    trip,and my stay will last for 15days ( April 25-May 13), I need a
    personal driver who will drive me to and from my destination during
    this 15days.I will provide the vehicle and Gas which will be used for
    this purpose. My conditions are as follows:

1: Applicants must possess a valid drivers license

2: Applicants must be good and careful driver

3: You Must dress well/ No dress code

4: Salary is $200 per day

5: Willing to work 5 days of the week from Monday -
    Friday(8am-4pm)...Holiday's Exclusive.

6:Your Full name:
    Address : ( no po box) only street address
    City , State, Zip code :
    Your phone number: (Cell and Home)

I will appreciate your swift response in getting back to me so i can
    be sure you want the job and can let you know my travel Itinerary.

Regards,
    Lewis Parker.
    Kim & Dean

just FYI, i used to work for this company http://www.stopsinc.com/

i found em on CL, replied to the ad, i got a reply with some paperwork i had to fill out, of course i googled the company after i got the reply and whatnot, but regardless, if u are looking for something that will literally work around your schedule, this is it. Id still be taking assignments from them if i lived closer to town. The pay schedule is awesome for loaded trips, but getting there would have not been as lucrative.

My highest paying job was about $800 for taking a dude to the hospital, going shopping for 5 hours, then coming back to get him and drive him home. not bad for a day.

06 DR650SE

I replied to an ad yesterday and asked for more details and the reply is below.

Looks like a scam, but the info he requested is already available to the public. What can he gain by me sending my name, address and phone number? Too bad too. This would have been perfect!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------
    Dear Applicant,
    Thanks for responding to the advert on
    Craig-list .
    I read that far.

Fake...
    2002 Yamaha WR250F

Quote Originally Posted by PhL0aTeR View Post
    just FYI, i used to work for this company http://www.stopsinc.com/

i found em on CL, replied to the ad, i got a reply with some paperwork i had to fill out, of course i googled the company after i got the reply and whatnot, but regardless, if u are looking for something that will literally work around your schedule, this is it. Id still be taking assignments from them if i lived closer to town. The pay schedule is awesome for loaded trips, but getting there would have not been as lucrative.

My highest paying job was about $800 for taking a dude to the hospital, going shopping for 5 hours, then coming back to get him and drive him home. not bad for a day.
    Thanks, I'll check it out.

I'm not looking for driving jobs, only. Anything is acceptable, but driving is probably the best way for me to keep my sanity!! After ten years of working for myself, I just can't see how I could handle stepping into the office horse shit again. Although, the architectural or engineering firm is the type of money I need to make!
    Kim & Dean

Yea I am sure there are legitimate listings on CL, but I have found the vague ones which won't even list the name of the company are usually hiding something. Anyways I will keep an eye out for any open positions and shoot you any leads I happen to come across. Good luck with the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by CaneZach View Post
    Yeah, but craiqslist (with a Q) and craigslist (with a G) are two completely different sites
    Ahhh - I didn't see that. tricky tricky.
    www.cocsba.com

'00 ZX12R
    '03 SV1000

Thanks, I'll check it out.

I'm not looking for driving jobs, only. Anything is acceptable, but driving is probably the best way for me to keep my sanity!! After ten years of working for myself, I just can't see how I could handle stepping into the office horse shit again. Although, the architectural or engineering firm is the type of money I need to make!
    np... i started working for them as something to get me somewhat active after my knee surgery. I was just randomly looking for SOMething. After a while it became just something else i did. My scheduler would email me a PO# and id scroll through it on my bb, if need be id check the mileage to see if it was "worth it" or not and let him know either way. 99% of my assignments were 24 hours or more advance notice, and if something wasnt lucrative enough, i always had the option of telling my scheduler that and if there wasnt anyone else on the list, you basically named your price, if there was, he noted it ad went down the list in case you were cheaper than the other person. Living up north, id think it would be great work, i was oftentimes called up to denver to transport someone within denver. Those were definitely times i named my price, if for no other reason than its in denver... lol

06 DR650SE