Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Splitting lanes?

Re: Splitting lanes?

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    I'd guess gopro unless he is secretly half spider monkey.

No pun intended but I'm gonna go with half Spidermonkey

Was riding down 25 and saw a guy reading a book and driving. In the passenger seat was a woman who was not reading. I couldn't understand why they just didn't switch places.

I've been to several countries in South East Asia, rented scooters to get around in Vietnam and Indonesia, rented a CBR400F in the Philippines, and rented a brand new R1 in Thailand. Lane splitting is the norm there, drivers look at you funny if you don't go down the middle at a light. (If they even pay attention to the red light) People drive the craziest I have ever seen in SE Asia, and I have been to parts of Europe, Africa and North Asian countries like Korea and Japan where drivers are passive and submissive (some might say "civilized")

I have seen cars jump the curb in Vietnam when traffic on the main road is full. I've seen women riding scooters with her family of 3 and the oldest boy holding the new born baby on the back in his hands, I've seen 40" plasma screens and pigs on scooters on the lap in the Philippines.

If they can survive lane splitting there, then why can't we do it here?
    Last edited by fiveninerzero; Wed Apr 13th, 2011 at 08:01 PM.
    2011 BMW S1000RR
    Sitting peacefully in storage

2003 Kawasaki ZX-6R (636) trackbike (sold), 2004 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 (sold), 2004 Yamaha YZF-R6 trackbike (sold), 2006 Yamaha YZF-R6s (sold), 1999 Kawasaki ZX-6R Ninja (sold), 1998 Honda CBR600F3(TOTALED) 1989 Kawasaki EX500 Ninja(TOTALED)

Senior Member Yearly Supporter Swift's Avatar

Yet somehow the DOT feels that lane splitting is too dangerous and reckless for acceptance in the U.S.

Go figure.

I make a habit of cutting to the front of a large line of traffic at stop lights to avoid being an easy (or unseen) target. Mind you I don't do it in view of the law, but I feel my safety is priority 1 over the law. If a cop wants to give me a ticket for staying out of harms way, fine, at least I won't end up on the 9 o'clock news getting my 5 minutes of fame as a strawberry pancake.
    2003 BMW R1150R - For Sale - PM for details
    2007 BMW 328Xi Coupe - The Cage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    ......she was barely 10 feet past the line when she STOPPED, and I was right behind her. ......... Needless to say I felt like an ass, stopped ten feet past the line, bike to door with a little old lady in an old ass car.
    So you got out-braked by and old lady in a Caddy?
    The closest thing to immortality on this earth is a Federal government program - RR

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OUTLAWD View Post
    you are lucky to survive here period...woman eating cereal in morning traffic on friday...

nevermind I took the pic
    Mmmm, Boston Market.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli