Thread: Question for the ipad geeks...

Question for the ipad geeks...

So with the ipad 2 out, there are some deals to be found on the 1's.

I'm kicking around the idea for an ultra-mobile machine that will fit in the bike luggage and while traveling for work (my work does not allow laptops, so no company issued machine for me). I keep going back and forth about picking up a small laptop like a macbook air or a similar PC machine. However, I'm not to keen on spending that much coin when I already have a machine at home that does everything I need.

Basically for work, I need internet access to get to web outlook and time card stuff.

For fun, I need my usual interwebz haunts as well as a place to upload and store photos so I can get them off the camera while traveling. I know that you can buy an adapter that allows for USB access to cameras, but I'm curious about photo apps.

Hey... if I can stream MotoGP races, even better...

So my question...
    Ease of use for enterprise access?

Know of any photo apps that work for minor image manipulation and storage?
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Re: Question for the ipad geeks...

I am an apple hater, but I sure do LOVE my iPad. My boss ended up buying everyone in the office one for xmas. I have some of them hooked up to here via VPN, and people can remote desktop into their computer. Works great with web outlook, or of course it will hook to any 2k3 or later exchange server via activesync. I even have an apple bluetooth keyboard that works great with it for my remote desktop stuff.

I use mine to watch my slingbox from my house (one of the greatest things ever). I also read a lot on it, and tons of other random video stuff.

As for storing photos, it's a one way thing. From card to iPad. Can't copy to the card. Camera connection kit is something I haven't found would be useful for me, unless I had a big iPad and a small camera memory card. There are lots of photo apps out there... even Adobe has Photoshop express which is free.

Almost nothing will beat the battery life.

People want to hate on the iPad, and I surely did when they first announced it, but I give it props, especially after using the shit out of it.
    2008 Honda CBR600RR - Graffiti
    2002 Yamaha WR250F

I have both an iPad and a 15" laptop. iPad is great for checking email and hopping online when I don't want to break out the laptop. Bought it when Verizon dropped the prices on their iPad 1 stock by $200. I totally thought it would be a novelty, but throw in the MLB app, some recipe apps, WSJ and others, I find myself using it all the time.

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

I have the iPad2, however it's amazing. It has replaced a lot of what I use my personal laptop for, and even does things my laptop just can't (some of the aviation navigation and flight planning apps are spectacular). For enterprise use it also works pretty well - now granted I prefer a laptop just for efficiency and features when trying to run systems on a network like ours, however I could actually do all of my oncall stuff from an iPad if need be. Basically I am 100% glad I got it.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Angry Birds is even bigger!!! Hahaha. I probably only use 10% of what it's capable of doing. Ya, I'm pretty ignorant when it cones to computers. But I do like mine.
    Remember Yesterday. Plan For Tomorrow. Live For Today.

Current Stable:

'o5 SuzukiGSX-1oooR
    (Custom Street Fighter).
    'o6 Pitster Pro 50cc Pit Bike (125cc Big Bore Kit).

^^ Here you go Matty... this will feed the fire

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ducat...422852789?mt=8

Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Installed.... lol.
    Remember Yesterday. Plan For Tomorrow. Live For Today.

Current Stable:

'o5 SuzukiGSX-1oooR
    (Custom Street Fighter).
    'o6 Pitster Pro 50cc Pit Bike (125cc Big Bore Kit).

and eurotrash is born
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

if you're interested in storing photos for the ipad you might check out shuttersnitch, if you've got an eye-fi card it's actually a pretty sweet setup as it transfers photos realtime from the eye-fi into shuttersnitch where you can do some basic editing or export it into the ipad photo gallery to with whatever you please.

thats really where(in my opinion) the iPad shines over everything else.. the apps you can find out there for it are amazing. i recently picked up a xoom from work and while it's a pretty nice hardware platform, there just aren't nearly the number of quality apps out there for it... i find i almost always go for the ipad over the xoom when doing anything.

i use my ipad2 for everything from remote control for directv to single source for all my news reading/rss feeds etc, it's easily taken over the bulk of what i used my home laptop for.. i personally don't use the shuttersnitch app but my sister who's a real estate agent would tell you its changed her fricken life.

oh yah, there is one thing i'll do on the xoom, turn on the hotspot so my wifi only ipad can share the verizon access.
    Last edited by fook; Thu Apr 14th, 2011 at 03:57 PM.
    - Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by fook View Post
    if you're interested in storing photos for the ipad you might check out shuttersnitch, if you've got an eye-fi card it's actually a pretty sweet setup as it transfers photos realtime from the eye-fi into shuttersnitch where you can do some basic editing or export it into the ipad photo gallery to with whatever you please..
    No way!!! Leah is going to love that one. She's got an eye-fi card for her camera.
    2008 Honda CBR600RR - Graffiti
    2002 Yamaha WR250F

Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    Know of any photo apps that work for minor image manipulation and storage?
    Adobe just launched Photoshop remote, which allows users to work via an existing registered version of Photoshop (if I understand correctly). Looks pretty badass... http://www.gottabemobile.com/2011/04...control-video/

However, regarding the future of iOS, I would strongly urge anyone thinking about an iPad to hold of for at least 6 months. I know, I know, "we'd all be waiting forever if we waited for the next device," but the Apple rumor mill is going pretty crazy with word of a brand new iOS on the horizon. ...And there's a very good chance that new OS won't be backwards compatible on Apple's existing devices.

The theory behind all of the chatter is that this year's WWDC is being focused solely "on software" and not hardware. For those who remember, WWDC is where Apple typically launches each year's new iPhone, making it a "hardware" heavy event.

For you gambling folks out there, and those who like to read between lines, this is a strong indication of Apple finally giving iOS a total makeover. Think Android Honeycomb compared to Gingerbread. The fact that a new iPhone may not launch until fall further supports this theory, since delaying a device would help to squelch anger due to a new OS that is incompatible with old devices. Besides, it gives Apple more time to fine tune the new OS.

I think Fall/Xmas 2011 is going to be a whole new ballgame for the Apple set. Keep your eyes peeled - this is going to be exciting.