Thread: SQL DBA Opening

Somewhere in the south suburbia of sprawl.

SQL DBA Opening

Job Hunters out there - Head's Up...

My company is currently looking for a skilled SQL DBA. If you have SQL and My-SQL experience all the better (it will put you at the top of the list).

My company is a DBA outsourcing firm - so you need to have a solid skill set in SQL administration, and a good multi-tasking abilityas you will be working on a handfull of clients simultaneously (typically no more than 7) as the lead / highest level DBA in our company.

You will have an support staff of other DBAs and a 24x7 India based DBA staff as well. Work from Home schedules are possible with this position after a period of time learning the company's methods and such, with a requirement to be in-office (Broomfield) a couple days a week. If you are such a candidate or know of someone please send me an email at: jim . vance @ gmail . com (reassemble that), and post here that you sent me something so I can go look for it, and I'll help get your resumes submitted most expeditiously to the team's director to hopefully get you an interview ASAP!

Also - I had previously posted a message a bit ago about a Delivery Manager position (that's what I do for this company)... Unfortunately that original position fell through - but it looks like my company is finally ready to pull the trigger on making that happen. Unfortunately I lost everyone's emails that had sent me resumes... so... prep your resume's there too, as I am working to get better details on the expectations and background they want for the position. Once I know more I'll post it in another thread.
    ...Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.

Current Ride: 2005 Ducati ST3

Re: SQL DBA Opening

Salary range? I'm an expert in both environments.
    Last edited by Ricky; Wed Apr 13th, 2011 at 03:07 PM.
    2008 Honda CBR600RR - Graffiti
    2002 Yamaha WR250F

I'll let you know, hopefully with a more in depth job description as well, as soon as I get it from the Director.
    ...Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.

Sounds good. I'm quite happy with my job, but I'm always willing to look at other opportunities and see if they might be better.
    2008 Honda CBR600RR - Graffiti
    2002 Yamaha WR250F

Okay... here's the official job description:

Senior SQL Server Database Administrator in Broomfield, Colorado in the Interlocken business park.

Our company provides 24 X 7 support for our customer’s mission critical database systems, which is possible through our proven model of Tier 3 DBAs in the U.S. and our Tier 2 team in Mumbai, India. This model allows our DBAs to provide superior service to our customers, without our DBAs having to sacrifice their lives.

We are looking for professional administrators with very strong internals knowledge, who have experience running databases in production environments and database consulting experience.

This position would be an exciting opportunity, for the DBA that has the right experience, to grow their career and expand their knowledge.

Applicants must have the following experience in order to be considered for this position:
    Mandatory SQL Server DBA Skills:
    · 8+ years overall IT experience, with 5+ years on SQL Server 2000, 2005, 2008 and 2008 R2
    · Knowledge of Windows Server 2003R2 and later editions
    · Well versed in database performance tuning, especially SQL tuning
    · Skilled in backups & disaster recovery
    · 24x7 production support experience
    · Intimate with T-SQL, BCP, DTS and SSIS development
    · Worked in clustered SQL Server environments
    · Experienced in setting up SQL Server Log Shipping, Replication and Mirroring
    · Exudes Microsoft Best Practices

Experience in the following areas is a plus:
    · Worked with 500GB+ SQL Server databases
    · Windows batch file scripting
    · Familiar with MS Analysis Services and Business Intelligence
    · Certifications such as MCTS or MCITP would be a plus!
    · Development DBA experience
    · In depth knowledge of SANs
    · Other RDMS platforms

Other qualities required:

· Ability to work well with others in a team environment
    · Willing to carry on-call cell-phone/pager (on-call rotation is one week every seven weeks)
    · Consistently writes and documents technical environment aspects

This position is for full-time employment with full medical benefits and may require up to 5% travel outside the Denver metro area. Telecommuting available. Salary commensurate with experience (Range is: $75 to $105K / yr)

One other benefit to keep in mind with my company that is not in the above description is that we have what is best described as "unlimited" vacation time. That is - no 2 weeks... no 40 hours first year, 80 hours the next... you get to take vacation as you need it. So long as you don't abuse it or let your clients suffer because of your absences - it is pretty much a "take what you need" to keep your sanity sort of operation. Plus we still have regular holiday schedules of company closures to have too!

So again - if this is you, shoot me an email with your resume to the above aforementioned dissected email address and we'll get the ball rolling!