Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: S&P puts a warning shot over the US Gov't bow.

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Re: S&P puts a warning shot over the US Gov't bow.

Quote Originally Posted by DFab View Post
    No. I guess that means you win

People that don't work for ratings agencies obviously cannot have valid opinions about their function or priorities.

I mean really, people shouldn't even be commenting in this thread unless they have at least a Masters in economics.
    Agreed. Argument by authority failure. The AAA ratings these firms gave to a slew of MBS products that turned out to be junk (and maintaining those ratings months after loans were defaulting) certainly give rise to suspicion about their integrity. When the banks that sell the securities are the ones paying for the ratings, it creates an environment where fraud is too tempting. The issues may not have been systemic (i.e. it was rogue employees) but even so, that speaks to a weakness in their management structure.
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Re: S&P puts a warning shot over the US Gov't bow.

Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post
    Agreed. Argument by authority failure. The AAA ratings these firms gave to a slew of MBS products that turned out to be junk (and maintaining those ratings months after loans were defaulting) certainly give rise to suspicion about their integrity. When the banks that sell the securities are the ones paying for the ratings, it creates an environment where fraud is too tempting. The issues may not have been systemic (i.e. it was rogue employees) but even so, that speaks to a weakness in their management structure.
    Hence the old saw that the ratings agencies are the last to admit there's a problem.