Thread: Plumbing Question...

Plumbing Question...

Last year around August, we had to do some work on our mater bathroom so we started taking showers upstairs in the guest bath. When we first started taking showers up there, the water pressure was awesome but after about 4 months the water pressure was pretty weak. Well, we finished the master bath and when we started taking showers down there again, the water pressure was awesome and now its weak again. Does anyone have a suggestion as to why this would be? BTW, the pressure in the upstairs bath is still pretty weak and the pressure at the hose spigots and sinks is fine.

Re: Plumbing Question...

Sounds like some kind of build up. As they keep making "water saving" regulations, the ports that allow the water through are smaller and smaller.

Depending on the minerals and other things in your water, it might be closing those ports off.

If you're basically handy, you can shut off the house water and dismantle the valves to the cartridges. That will let you see what you're dealing with.
    You wanna know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with until you realize I'm in command.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    Sounds like some kind of build up. As they keep making "water saving" regulations, the ports that allow the water through are smaller and smaller.

Depending on the minerals and other things in your water, it might be closing those ports off.

If you're basically handy, you can shut off the house water and dismantle the valves to the cartridges. That will let you see what you're dealing with.
    I am basically handy but I have no idea what valves to check or what/where a cartridge is.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    Sounds like some kind of build up... Depending on the minerals and other things in your water, it might be closing those ports off.
    Same thing happens about once a year at my kitchen faucet. I'd unscrew the end and scrape away buildup that accumulates on the screen inside the assembly. Good to go for another year.

Haven't had to do that with the tub/shower faucets, so not sure how you'd examine those.
    '09 Duc Monster 696
    '00 Suz SV650 (Dad's, garaged with mine)
    I like mountains because they make me feel small.

Um, no offense, but weather you or GF have hair issues it clogs the overall system. Ox adds to the overall pressure of the system not just drinage issuages. New or old each house acts differently but you need to make sure that hari or other particles aren't hindering the system. Once unclogged we cn dianogse the other issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Mntntoproc View Post
    Um, no offense, but weather you or GF have hair issues it clogs the overall system. Ox adds to the overall pressure of the system not just drinage issuages. New or old each house acts differently but you need to make sure that hari or other particles aren't hindering the system. Once unclogged we cn dianogse the other issues.
    We need to work on your dyslexia. Aside from that, it is a good point.

Something you might want to check just for kicks, is your pressure regulator on your meter. I know in our irrigation systems when we start having pressure issues, the culprit can be a pressure reg, either going bad or gone bad. More often then not, it's tree roots causing our problems, but once you start having every zone in the system start to loose pressure, you trace it back to a pressure reg.

Another reason you'll have more pressure in the lower levels of your home is basic gravity. Atmospheric pressure exerts 14.7lbs(sea level, our elevations is around 12lbs). Water will gain pressure as it heads down in elevation.

You can also turn up the pressure on your pressure reg, if you feel you're not getting enough. Most regs on meters(for home use) are set with a field of 25-75lbs adjustment. Most homes are dialed in around 40 to 50psi.

Finally, it could be something as simple as Rhino pointed out, that you've just deposits. Colorado water is known for trashing plumbing.

The "hair-ball" issue that was mentioned, is likely not your problem. Because hairballs will affect your sewer water, not potable water(unless you've had some serious cross-connection contamination issue, which is very unlikely).
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

Quote Originally Posted by King Nothing View Post
    I am basically handy but I have no idea what valves to check or what/where a cartridge is.
    The first and easiest thing to check is the shower head. It just unscrews. Most of the "low-flow" regulations, they come with literally about a pinhead size hole. Any debris can easily plug those. Usually they are removable, but I didn't tell you that.
    You wanna know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with until you realize I'm in command.

what rhino said.

It's either a shower head issue or the valve (the internals behind the handle)

not a hairball
    not a pressure regulator

CLR works well for removing the deposits, available at hardware stores in the draino aisle or as seen on TV
    RIP Sgt. Travis D. Pfister. 79-07 I miss you brother.

Senior Member cptschlongenheimer's Avatar

+2

My fifty year old galvanized pipes every once in awhile erode away small particles that release themselves downstream at the faucets & shower heads. Pulling the low flow restricter is the quick cure but your water bill will go up.
    89 EX500 RIP
    06 R6S RIP
    03 R6

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mntntoproc View Post
    Not really sure what kind of wack plumbing your place has, but I can unequivocally guarantee you that hairballs in my drains have absolutely nothing to do with the pressure of my faucets, or anything else in the supply side of the system. They are totally exclusive of each other, otherwise you'd get sewage coming out of your ice maker, shower, etc. Input is not connected to output, one just fills the other by way of your sink and shower when the tap is opened.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Dissconected from this world

Rhino is the plumbing pimp. Get him out there and he will snake those holes for ya! Sry it's late and Im bored. But he is a great plumber.

That he is...and a kickass boyfriend. He has replaced all of our toilets, sinks, and fixtures in half a day. Plus just put our hot tub in, pump out and replaced it without having to drain it out. Next is my new jacuzzi from Christmas for our Master.

Ask many on this forum...Lots are personal friends, and many here have used him.

07 GSXR 750
    07 GSXR 600 (RIP)

On my toes! Lifetime Supporter PunyJuney's Avatar

Carrie's vote doesn't count because she is sleeping with him, but we give a +2 on Rhino Plumbing. We were previously hosed (pun intended) by Benjamin Franklin, and Rys work is more than fair and efficient. We continue to use and recommend him to others.

I may be contacting you soon Rhino on some plumbing work I need done on a spare bathroom in my basement that has issues
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

Dissconected from this world

Yep see I told ya, Plumbing pimp! Lays more pipe than langraff

Quote Originally Posted by PunyJuney View Post
    Carrie's vote doesn't count because she is sleeping with him, but we give a +2 on Rhino Plumbing. We were previously hosed (pun intended) by Benjamin Franklin, and Rys work is more than fair and efficient. We continue to use and recommend him to others.
    It does too count? You don't think he makes me pay?

07 GSXR 750
    07 GSXR 600 (RIP)