Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PC nerds!

Re: PC nerds!

I just realized this is supposed to be a laptop, isn't it?
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

Oh, and remember... every piece of hardware you buy has a warranty of its own. Alienware may use Seagate drives in their computers, but if your warranty is only one year, that Seagate only has a 1 year warranty. Seagate drives tend to have a 5 year warranty when purchased alone. A RETAIL (not OEM) boxed Intel CPU has a 3 year warranty. Most video cards and other components have at least a 1 year warranty. I buy Mushkin memory (Denver local company) and their memory has a LIFETIME warranty.
    2008 Honda CBR600RR - Graffiti
    2002 Yamaha WR250F

Quote Originally Posted by Zach929rr View Post
    I just realized this is supposed to be a laptop, isn't it?
    yeah. its there m11x version.
    Rooster

Quote Originally Posted by Devaclis View Post
    My Alienware rig is a great system as well. The Warranty is solid. 4 hour, on site support.
    Yeah, but a home user can't purchase 4 hour support. That's business class support only. And yes, when you need it, it's awesome. I've had a part from Dell show up in 76 minutes!
    2008 Honda CBR600RR - Graffiti
    2002 Yamaha WR250F

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Oh, and remember... every piece of hardware you buy has a warranty of its own. Alienware may use Seagate drives in their computers, but if your warranty is only one year, that Seagate only has a 1 year warranty. Seagate drives tend to have a 5 year warranty when purchased alone. A RETAIL (not OEM) boxed Intel CPU has a 3 year warranty. Most video cards and other components have at least a 1 year warranty. I buy Mushkin memory (Denver local company) and their memory has a LIFETIME warranty.
    ill have to keep that in mind. a buddy of mine is a computer genius. i didnt ask him about computers cause he doesnt dumb things down for me. he just downloads games and software for free and puts it on friends computers. ill have im replace something with better hardware if it ever breaks.
    Rooster

what is this 4hr support you speak of?
    Rooster

My advice only applies to desktops. I don't hand built laptops, because fuck that.
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

lol. i dont have much use for a desktop. i need mine to be mobile. since ill be taking my work all around town from school to home to maryland when i go home to visit.
    Rooster

AKA "Devaclis"

My advice only applies to desktops. I don't hand built laptops, because fuck that.
    Custom building laptops is a totally different story.

Back when cars first became available you had to be an engineer to build them. Now, you are just a garage mechanic.

When computers became popular you had to be a tech to build them. Now you are just a garage mechanic.

Go get greasy
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

I bought the M11x when it first came out with the core2duo. If you're looking for portable gaming this thing is WICKED!

If you want a portable, you can't get better than this laptop IMO. I think the most important part is the selectable graphics card. You want battery life? Switch to onboard. You wanna game? Switch to the Geforce. I've taken mine on a plane and watched 4 hours of movies, take it ou the road to troubleshoot for other folks (I dabble in IT), and also use it with a Canon 60D.

Where I've found mine has hiccupped... I took 21 shots with the Canon in highest res jpg mode, and stitched it together in adobe photoshop elements. Computer cranked through it but it took about 20 minutes.

I don't think you made a bad choice at all, I've been thrilled about my M11x and it's nowhere near as powerful as the one you just ordered. I initially paid $1500 for mine, and I've got the Core2Duo, 4GB RAM, Windows 7 ultimate, and 320Gb HD.

It fits in my camelpack no less! As for gaming, I'm a Starcraft/Warcraft guy and it works great for those, even on an external monitor. On the laptop even with my older version I can run WoW on full on the included screen, or about half settings on a 22" monitor. I go game over at a buddy's house now and again, and it's my primary computer.

If you want an 11" laptop, this is the best you can do. I haven't needed to use my warranty at ALL on mine, though I do read about the hinge having problems.

I've never had the want or need to go down the custom laptop route. Probably won't ever need to either.
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

whats the hinge?
    Rooster

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
    whats the hinge?
    The hinge between the monitor and base. That's the only bad thing I've heard about with the M11x. I probably haven't had a problem because I don't open and close it constantly. Most of the time mine's hooked to external mouse/monitor/KB and it only gets opened when I take it to friends' places.

I wouldn't worry about it honestly, I am still very thrilled I bought mine a year ago, and was tempted to upgrade now that it has i7 and USB3.0

i guess ill find out how it works for me after i get it in the middle of may. i dont know why it takes so long for them to build it. there must be only 1 guy building everyone's computer 1 at a time or something. i can have someone rebuild my entire engine in less time than that.
    Rooster

i guess ill find out how it works for me after i get it in the middle of may. i dont know why it takes so long for them to build it. there must be only 1 guy building everyone's computer 1 at a time or something. i can have someone rebuild my entire engine in less time than that.
    Took mine a month to build too. Was a rough wait, but totally worth it when it came in!

how is the 11 inch screen? its hard for me to compare it. i think it seems small though. is it easy to type and navigate the keyboard? is the keyboard the "push button" type or something like a touch screen kind of deal. i have the picture in my head but its hard to explain. lol. it looks like the buttons are flat and hard to tell which buttons are which just by feeling them.
    Rooster

how is the 11 inch screen? its hard for me to compare it. i think it seems small though. is it easy to type and navigate the keyboard? is the keyboard the "push button" type or something like a touch screen kind of deal. i have the picture in my head but its hard to explain. lol. it looks like the buttons are flat and hard to tell which buttons are which just by feeling them.
    Keyboard is a little weird. Yes, it's "flat", and the keys have a shorter travel range. Not a touchscreen or anything like that. It feels smaller than a normal keyboard, but I haven't had any trouble typing on it. Most of the time I use an external keyboard anyway, Good ol' G15.

The screen is small but it's also 720p. It's very glossy as well, which may be good or bad. It's like iPad glossy. In low light the screen is great, but not so great outside. I had no trouble with it in a plane, or anywhere indoors. Outside you really have to work to see things.

You can check out how screen size might be by going to Best Buy and checking out other 11" screens.

Hope that helps!

yeah ill swing by there when im getting a few things done in town.
    Rooster

I've never had the want or need to go down the custom laptop route. Probably won't ever need to either.
    +1. I can't imagine gaming on an 11" screen either.
    -Ryan

well i had a change of heart. here are my new specs., let me know what you think.

Alienware M15x, Cosmic Black
    317-5398Intel Core i7 740QM Quad Core Processor, 1.73GHz (2.93GHz Turbo Mode, 6M Cache)
    GB Dual Channel Memory (2x 4GB DDR3)
    15.6-inch Wide FHD 1920x1080 (1080p) WLED
    1024 MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5730
    500GB SATAII 7,200RPM
    Personalized Nameplate
    Personalized Nameplate Trigger
    AlienFX Color, Quasar Blue
    Alienware Command Center Software
    Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English
    DataSafe Local BackUp
    PC-Restore, Dim/Insp
    DELL-DOWNLOAD-FLAG
    Alien Red Glyphs
    Adobe Acrobat Reader 9.0 Multi-Language
    CyberLink PowerDVD 8.0 Software
    Roxio Creator Starter
    Slot-Loading Dual Layer Blu-ray Reader (BR-ROM, DVD+-RW, CD-RW)
    5.1 Channel Audio
    Intel WiFi Link 5300 802.11AGN Half Mini Card
    Automatic Updates: On
    MCAFEE Pearl MUI,36mth,With Media
    Primary - 9-cell (85Watt) Lithium-Ion Battery
    Internal Bluetooth 2.1 Mini-Card - 2.1 Enhanced Data Rate
    AlienGUIse Theme Manager with Breed Theme
    Alien Cyborg
    World of Warcraft Preinstall Edition
    Steam and Portal Factory Installed
    EVE-Online, English, German, Russian
    Rooster

I've got some experience building computers and I definitely went through my geek stage. It all boils down to how you're going to use it. If you're going to be running a lot of programs at once memory is important, and channels and slots will make a difference. But if yourer the average college kid running asimple browser, itunes, and a word processor, you'll be fine. Id recommend not running a ton while trying to use any video, voice, or photo software. I used to do digital film editing and that really pushes the limits on your laptop. As for alienware, they aren't what they used to be, but still good computers. I've personally become a hardcore mac user, but you should be just fine! Make sure to keep your antiviral software current.

Stealth Black with Soft Touch Finish

what more do you need?

im probably gonna keep mcafee. anyone recommend anything different? i picked it up from dell cause the mcafee was about 89 bucks for 36 months or something.
    Rooster

Quote Originally Posted by cbrjohnny View Post
    Stealth Black with Soft Touch Finish

what more do you need?
    lol. now i got the m15x. i dont remember seeing the stealth black with the soft finish. i only seen the cosmic black. im gonna assume its the same. but i could be wrong. im not really worried about nicks and scratches. thats what stickers are for. lol
    Rooster