Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weird experience at CO Powersports, Boulder

Weird experience at CO Powersports, Boulder

Guy behind the parts counter must have been high on himself.

I stroll to the back ready to order about $1000 worth of goodies for my bike and he not only argued with every item I wanted to order, but also told me the guys online were stupid for recommending the specific parts I wanted. That is me paraphrasing his eyerolls and other statements. Man oh man... it was weird. I just don't get it.

Me ---> <--- Guy at the parts counter

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

Re: Weird experience at CO Powersports, Boulder

You should have gone to RMK in Longmont. But then you wouldn't have had this story to tell.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

I live in Boulder and I stay away from CO Powersports, their parts and service department are the worst I've seen. I go to RMK, everyone is nice and helpful there.
    George Mock | 2008 ZX6R | GoPro Hero | 3:551 5806

So why did you not walk out and say, I guess I'll just order them online and have them sent to my house without having to deal with your attitude again on pickup. Then actually walk out and follow through. One reason why I order online, saves gas from having to do to the dealer, hassle, and gas returning to the dealer again, plus save tax...people say you pay the same in shipping...I don't know I usually get free shipping especially on high priced orders *shrug* yeah, yeah support the local place...F that they are typically no help anyways.

Ive tried to buy parts for 3 differant bikes and have never had a good experiance with them! They never have anything in stock, and seem to be rude everytime! Not to mention i priced tires with them and they were double the price! Ive never heard of RMK but i will gladly drive out of my way to try someone else!

Never was a big fan of the Boulder shop either. But, I've had some really good experiences at CoPow on 104th. Really nice sales staff, solid selection of gear/parts and everyone has been friendly/helpful. It's worth stopping in.

Quote Originally Posted by modette99 View Post
    So why did you not walk out and say, I guess I'll just order them online and have them sent to my house without having to deal with your attitude again on pickup. Then actually walk out and follow through.
    I did walk out without placing the order. I had my quote from Twisted Throttle on my phone and tried to give the local shop a chance to match it but the guy even argued about the real price on the luggage saying he had to charge $30 more. Hahaha! And then he argued with his own catalog telling me the cargo limit figures printed in it were wrong and that even though it said 10kg, it really meant 6kg. It was totally absurd.

FWIW, I got home too late to place my order with TT but I'll be calling them in a few... as soon as I figure out a couple more items...

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Never was a big fan of the Boulder shop either. But, I've had some really good experiences at CoPow on 104th. Really nice sales staff, solid selection of gear/parts and everyone has been friendly/helpful. It's worth stopping in.
    That's where I got my bike so I figured both shops were similar. And the Boulder shop is around the corner from my new job. Oh well...

Zach at 104th is the opposite of the guy in Boulder. Helpful and answers questions... and knows his shit as far as I can tell.
    Last edited by CaptGoodvibes; Sat Apr 23rd, 2011 at 11:38 AM.

Call me I have a TT order going out on Monday and I will match price and ship it up to you! Maybe even give ya some extra love!!!

Chris 303-761-2471 Or Direct 303-532-2929

GPM
    ################################################## ###################
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you never did, you should. These things are fun, and fun is good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Or P.M. me and I will respond back as well!
    ################################################## ###################
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you never did, you should. These things are fun, and fun is good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

TT is a great place to buy, and if Chris can get it for you then you can support your local shop and get a kick ass deal at the same time.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

PM sent.

Strange... I have done business with both powersports for a while and have had nothing but good experiences....of course it was a year ago and longer.

Bought my Ninja 250 up at the place in Boulder... it was ok, except for the fact that I knew more about the bike than the sales guy did. We argued for several minutes over whether or not is was a 5 speed or 6 speed. I was right about the 6 speed part. They really gave me a great deal and hooked me up. I've not been back since. I like the guys at the one on 104th, I just think their prices for labor are a bit ridiculous.
    2008 Honda CBR600RR - Graffiti
    2002 Yamaha WR250F

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Bought my Ninja 250 up at the place in Boulder... it was ok, except for the fact that I knew more about the bike than the sales guy did. We argued for several minutes over whether or not is was a 5 speed or 6 speed. I was right about the 6 speed part.
    Doesn't it say right there on the front sprocket cover?

Sales people are usually not hired for their technical knowledge, however I agree that very basic concepts like that should be required reading, even on the cheap bikes (because selling a starter bike to a customer that likes you, means they will be back for subsequent and more expensive purchases).
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

I bought my bike from Co Pow in Boulder, but for any labor it goes to RMK or TFOG and for any pieces and parts, I support my local smaller shops. Colorado Powersports lowered my bike in an unsafe way contributing to my first crash. I wouldn't take my bike there for any service.
    "With every broken bone, I swear I lived."

Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe View Post
    Doesn't it say right there on the front sprocket cover?

Sales people are usually not hired for their technical knowledge, however I agree that very basic concepts like that should be required reading, even on the cheap bikes (because selling a starter bike to a customer that likes you, means they will be back for subsequent and more expensive purchases).
    Not that I remember. We had to go sit one and he went through the gears before he believed me. They should be required to know about the bikes they sell, to be a better salesman. Every Ninja 250 since 1986 has had a 6 speed transimssion.
    2002 Yamaha WR250F

Quote Originally Posted by bornwildnfree View Post
    Colorado Powersports lowered my bike in an unsafe way contributing to my first crash. I wouldn't take my bike there for any service.
    What did they do?
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter 64BonnieLass's Avatar

I've had the same negative experience with that shop 3 times now in the last 6 months.

I was the only person in the shop and wasn't even told hello. Same shrugs and eyerolling and little off-handed comments.

Went in again 3 months ago, looking at a GSXR. Spoke to them about their price and what they could do. Once, again, in a nasty way, the guy (older guy - kinda short) told me flat out to buy the bike elsewhere. He said if somebody is going to lose money on the sale of the bike, he hoped it was someone else.

So I bought it from RPM for less then I even offered CoPow. 2 weeks later I get a call to see if I'm still interested in the bike, and I was all A-GLOW to tell them, per their wishes, I bought the exact bike elsewhere and for how much. The guy hung up.
    "Keep that "what if" thought in the back of your mind; it's the angel on your shoulder balancing the devil in your right hand."

"There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those."

2005 SV650S Street

Word of mouth is a KILLA
    http://www.rapidfirebunker.com
    $15 FFL TRANSFERS. $15 Private Transfers
    Emergency Preparedness Store, Survival BULK Food, knives, Guns, Ammo, FREEDOM

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Quote Originally Posted by Zach929rr View Post
    What did they do?
    I had just bought my SV and knew almost nothing about motorcycles or the mechanics of owning one so I figured I would take it to the dealership who should know all about the bike and how to lower it safely. I ordered the parts from them and when they came in, I took the bike in. The guy at the service counter said, "You want us to lower it an inch in the front and two in the rear?" I said, what is industry standard and he said that 1" in the front and 2" in the rear was standard and what they usually did. Being young and stupid I trusted him. As everyone should know, that is not industry standard. A bike should be lowered as much in the front as it is in the rear or as close as possible to keep from having handling issues. I picked it up and happily rode it (not knowing the difference only knowing I could stop safely at a light with out dropping it) for a couple of months. My riding buddy finally rode it and said that there was a massive handling problem and he's the one that told me that it contributed to my crash. The bike did not respond in a curve like it should have and I lowsided. It wasn't all their fault, but it contributed. We fixed the front lowering and the bike handled much better. After my 2nd wreck I took the bike to them to have it checked to make sure nothing mechanical was wrong with the bike. They missed the forks being low on oil, and that the front fork inner tubes are messed up. I rode it that way all last year and had a most miserable season. I no longer trust them to do any work on my bike and I don't even really trust them to order the right parts. I've had to take a few things back when they weren't right. I only buy parts there because my best friend is sponsored and it makes them super cheap. Otherwise I wouldn't bother.
    "With every broken bone, I swear I lived."

Quote Originally Posted by Sticky 296 View Post
    Call me I have a TT order going out on Monday and I will match price and ship it up to you! Maybe even give ya some extra love!!!

Chris 303-761-2471 Or Direct 303-532-2929

GPM
    FWIW, Chris & Grand Prix have never steered me wrong and have always been damn competitive with price. They're definitely interested in my business and I'll keep going back for that reason.
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by 64BonnieLass View Post
    ...So I bought it from RPM for less then I even offered CoPow. 2 weeks later I get a call to see if I'm still interested in the bike, and I was all A-GLOW to tell them, per their wishes, I bought the exact bike elsewhere and for how much. The guy hung up.
    I got hung up on, too, with my RV.

We went to RV America in Aurora and asked for something specific. We were told it didn't exist after I asked the salesman to check their Wheat Ridge store.

The next day we went to the Wheat Ridge store and they had exactly what we wanted and we bought it.

A week later the dick head from Aurora called and asked, very sarcastically, if we found what we were looking for. I told him yes and he giggled. He asked for the salesman's name and where we bought it. When I told him 'the other RV America' and gave him a name he recognized, he hung up.

Now, granted, RV America still made a sale, but they weren't the one's fuckin' with us. The sales guy is who lost out on this one, so we're very happy!!
    Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M

Oh, I've got one I just remembered from the 104th copow. I went in to look at the Scorpion exo-1000 helmet, and they had one on sale. I went and asked one of the dudes if the stock inner lens was smoke or dark-smoke, and without any hesitation, he immediately said "it's definitely dark-smoke". I was pretty sure the scorpion site said it was a smoke lens, but it was hard to tell inside there. So, I didn't buy the dark-smoke lens from them. Got home and looked to verify, sure enough the stock lens is just smoke, so I ordered the dark-smoke online. I can understand not knowing, but to positively give the wrong answer, is so strange to me. Especially for the guys that do it all day every day.
    2002 Yamaha WR250F