Thread: Helmet for Sale

Helmet for Sale

Why you don't buy helmets used...

http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/2346535836.html

Scorpion EXO-700 Rivet Matte Silver XX-Large Full Face Helmet

This is my first motorcycle helmet that I bought 6 months ago. I was looking for something that would provide ample protection, but not break the bank. The EXO-700 series of helmets meet SNELL standards, which mean that they are tested more severely, and, theoretically, withstand more impact than a helmet that only has DOT approval. The visor detachment system is unbelievably simple to operate, can be done very quickly.
    I bought the Silver/Black version of the "Rivet" and it looks great. There is only one ding on the top of the helmet (as shown in the picture) because I dropped once in my garage. Other than that, everything is great.
    I've ridden less than 600 miles with this helmet, basically in back roads (never in highways). It has good visibility, it's comfortable, and it's pretty lightweight. It includes the original box, original instructions and original helmet bag (never used). This product is in excellent condition. The only reason I am selling it is because I am selling my scooter and have no use for a helmet anymore.
    George Mock | 2008 ZX6R | GoPro Hero | 3:551 5806

Senior Member cptschlongenheimer's Avatar

Re: Helmet for Sale

maybe if he used the helmet bag it wouldn't have that one very excellent ding.
    89 EX500 RIP
    06 R6S RIP
    03 R6

How much?
    "Whatever is begun in anger ends in shame" - Benjamin Franklin

SV650

Exposed Member Lifetime Supporter Bashed's Avatar

My idea of a usable helmet differs from others veiws on this subject. I buy used helmets all the time, mostly girlfriend or wives lids due to non use. I am blessed with a size medium, and get killer deals on these. In my opinion, if a helmet gets dropped and it doesn't crack the shell and there was no object in the helmet to compromise the interior lining and styrofoam, it's still usable. A couple foot drop that chips some paint doesn't ruin a helmet. It would make me mad if I dropped a couple 4 hundred and dropped one, cuz I've done it, but I have continued to use them till I thought they were past thier shelf life, around 5-6 years IMO. Your results may vary.
    * Bash, Bashasaurus, Ms Bash, his neighbors or friends are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you being squidish, squid like, squirting ink, or waving your non-covered tentacles about in a squidy fashion. Nor is he or his associates responsible for any citations as a result of you hanging with SoCo. Any attempt to coerce, blame, question, or pin your loser-riffic behavior on any of us, or those who are considered us for the night, as well as people we like, to include Salma Hayek and Nicky Hayden, among others, will result in a profanity stricken series of post that mock and taunt you incessantly, as well as many of us adding such insults to our signature lines. Avoid taking SoCo before bedtime. Do not use if you experience faintness, dizziness, inverness, difficulty urinating or blotchy skin. If I steal a line, quote, avatar or image from a post you make on the internet, you're not getting credit.*

Quote Originally Posted by Bashed View Post
    My idea of a usable helmet differs from others veiws on this subject. I buy used helmets all the time, mostly girlfriend or wives lids due to non use. I am blessed with a size medium, and get killer deals on these. In my opinion, if a helmet gets dropped and it doesn't crack the shell and there was no object in the helmet to compromise the interior lining and styrofoam, it's still usable. A couple foot drop that chips some paint doesn't ruin a helmet. It would make me mad if I dropped a couple 4 hundred and dropped one, cuz I've done it, but I have continued to use them till I thought they were past thier shelf life, around 5-6 years IMO. Your results may vary.
    Agreed

So you'd rather throw out a helmet because of age but would buy one that's been impacted (and you don't know how hard)?

It would have to be an EXTREMELY violent impact to "crack" most modern shells. Poly shells could crack in cold temps, and you'd be hard pressed to crack a glass or carbon shell. You would never know how badly crushed the styrofoam is unless you cut the helmet open.

Sitting on a bike and tipping over straight onto your head is probably 4 feet...would you still use that helmet then? Do you think you would see the impact spot if it wasn't scratched? I'm pretty sure these things are designed to absorb impact which basically destroys or compacts the foam, not allowing to absorb anymore - rendering useless.
    "Whatever is begun in anger ends in shame" - Benjamin Franklin

SV650

Quote Originally Posted by Bashed View Post
    I am blessed with a size medium...
    +1 for having a small head...

I try not to use lids after ~5 years...composites lose integrity over time, and I think companies only guarantee lids 5 years passed the born on date. Also, the foam should be sacked out to the point that the helmet no longer fits properly within that 5 year span if you ride at all...oh wait....this is the CSC

...the few scorpions I have tried on felt like cinder blocks with chin straps more than protective gear

that being said, they may have upped their game...alot of people bash HJC's, but they fit my head the best and their top models are higher quality than most "high end" helmets IMO
    Last edited by OUTLAWD; Tue Apr 26th, 2011 at 07:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OUTLAWD View Post
    the few scorpions I have tried on felt like cinder blocks with chin straps more than protective gear
    George Mock | 2008 ZX6R | GoPro Hero | 3:551 5806

FWIW, I buy a new helmet probably almost every year.

Also, I experienced a violent highside last season in a Scorpion dirt helmet. As I waited for the stars to come I realized I felt fine (at least my head felt fine). The impact did not crack the shell but rubbed a 5" patch of paint off (circular pattern, from impact) right into the fiberglass, deep into the glass. Bought another Scorpion for this season.

Good points on helmet age.

A helmet dropped off of a bike or while carrying it is still very usable IMO, a helmet that hits the ground with a head in it, not so much.

My last 4 Helmets have been Scorpions, I likem good.

It takes 200 G's to crack your head open. From a standing position and falling over head first on to concrete is about 400-600 G's. My point is: Don't buy used helmets. How many of you buy used break pads? Never skimp on safety. I buy two new Arai helmets each year. It costs a ton of cash...But my head is worth it.