Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Photo Radar has a flaw

Re: Photo Radar has a flaw

Quote Originally Posted by Ol'Skool View Post
    I also saw a news story recently where rear end collisions are up drasticly since photo radar was started. Drivers are slamming on their brakes on yellow. So much for the "enforcing safety" defense.
    You mean the red light cams? Yes, it's certainly likely rear-enders have increased, but part of the cause is people following too closely. The drivers in this state can't seem to see anything 10' past the front of their bumper, so it doesn't surprise me they would run into someone's ass.

http://www.banthecams.org/component/...,36/sitemap,1/ has hundreds or thousands of articles about the failings and problems of speed cameras and how they are entirely ineffective at reducing speeding (the claimed goal).

Lets see, I have two of these here on my desk that I beat. They say right on the citation in bold print:

" If you disregard this notice you can be personally served at your own expense, which will be at least $35.00, in addition to the fine indicated above, after which, failure to pay your fine in accordance with the instructions herein, could result in further action against you and may adversely affect your credit rating. You can also be served by certified mail. "
    1998 VFR800 Interceptor - resurrected and custom tail http://vfrworld.com/forums/5th-gener...98-vfr800.html

1999 DR650SE

Quote Originally Posted by birchyboy View Post
    I'd be very wary of not paying tickets based on a news story. I took a quick look at the current law and didn't see anything about a requirement that the citation be "personally served". The only thing I found with a quick scan was regarding how much cost the issuing service can charge the municipality for sending the notice.

The story says that the lawyer challenged the law, had it suspended in 2002 but the suspension was quickly overturned. There is a section of the law that was deleted in 2002 but it doesn't give the text and I haven't dug back into the 2002 archives to see what it was.

If I read it too fast and someone else has read this portion of the law I'll stand corrected :-)

Edit: found where the "personally served" portion was removed:

http://www.state.co.us/gov_dir/leg_d...02a/sl_178.htm
    It wasn't removed... It was reworded right below that:

(II) If the state, a county, a city and county, or a municipality detects any alleged violation of a municipal traffic regulation or a traffic violation under state law through the use of an automated vehicle identification system, then the state, county, city and county, or municipality shall serve the penalty assessment notice or summons and complaint for the alleged violation on the defendant pursuant to the requirements of subparagraph (I) of this paragraph (a) no later than ninety days after the alleged violation occurred.
    2008 Honda CBR600RR - Graffiti
    2002 Yamaha WR250F

I used to do huge wheelies past them in Phoenix. On the US-60, there are 5 of them in a row. I really want to call them and ask for my sweet wheelie pictures.

LOL!!! That's good
    1998 VFR800 Interceptor - resurrected and custom tail http://vfrworld.com/forums/5th-gener...98-vfr800.html

1999 DR650SE

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Wow, this is just what I needed. I got a photo radar ticket in the mail the other day. I was going to pay it, but I also considered paying in the form of 8000 checks (since you can't pay in cash, or pennies), just to be an asshole. But now I'll just let it go, and not answer the door.

Holy shit, I just realized that my ticket is invalid. I was going 26mph over the speed limit. 81mph in a 55mph
    Yup.... right at the beginning of the construction zone coming off 270 onto 70.
    So let me get this straight. You don't think you were in the wrong by going 81 in a 55mph + Construction zone???
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    So let me get this straight. You don't think you were in the wrong by going 81 in a 55mph + Construction zone???
    Did I say that? NO. Thanks for your input though.
    2008 Honda CBR600RR - Graffiti
    2002 Yamaha WR250F

CSC co-founder

Do they still send the "citations" as a certified letter?

If they do.... ask the postman to see it BEFORE you sign on the dotted line. They'll just write refused on it & send it back from whence it came. They got their $0.40 cents out of it.
    PHX, AZ

I hate tix as much as the next guy...I just don't understand why people spend so much time complaining about it being a $$ ploy.

Sure it's a money ploy, doesn't make it illegal or even wrong in my opinion.

/rational thought

Quote Originally Posted by Dietrich_R1 View Post
    Do they still send the "citations" as a certified letter?

If they do.... ask the postman to see it BEFORE you sign on the dotted line. They'll just write refused on it & send it back from whence it came. They got their $0.40 cents out of it.
    Good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerinWstuff View Post
    From what I hear, Canada is different. The ticket goes to the owner of the vehicle regardless and traffic law states that the owner is responsible. If you don't want tickets generated by another driver, don't loan out your car.
    That's how it worked in Austria too....but then again there was no points either so it was your responsibility to collect from your friend.

great thread! Thanks!

Leah
    05 Raven R1
    01 YZ250F

Quote Originally Posted by 60pan View Post
    I thought we had this talk already

These photos should be sent to the news source that did the story.

Did I say that? NO. Thanks for your input though.
    That's why I was asking dumbass... because you came across as being happy about getting out of a ticket that you rightfully deserve. See it's idiots like you that make it unsafe for guys like me to work out in traffic(and the crazy part, is I'm hardly in a "Construction Zone", more like just out in regular traffic areas). What?? are you to blind to see the 15 "flashing" signs that usually proceed a Construction Zone?? Oh I get it, you just don't care and think that you should just be able to go what ever speed you feel through a Construction Zone.

I see this every day here in Colorado Springs. People either in too much of a hurry, don't like going 25mph or 35mph in a Construction Zone. So they end up just blowing through it. There's reasons those speeds are advised, because you've got people, machinery, etc. either in traffic, entering traffic or just close enough to traffic.

I have no sympathy for people who blatantly disregard Construction or School Zones. You can't miss the flashing lights, the 50 signs pointing out a "slow zone" ahead and in my opinion, if people actually tell that to a cop. They should have their fines tripled on top of the usual double fines.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

Only here for the free Wi-Fi Site Admin Spiderman's Avatar

because you came across as being happy about getting out of a ticket that you rightfully deserve.
    That's not now how I perceived his statement:
    Holy shit, I just realized that my ticket is invalid. I was going 26mph over the speed limit. 81mph in a 55mph
    All I get out of that is shock/surprise. Had he said "Sweet" at the end, or put , that would've carried a different tone, but he didn't.

That's why I was asking dumbass...
    See it's idiots like you that make it unsafe for guys like me to work out in traffic...
    Sounds to me like you're taking all your frustration out on Ricky and trying to make an example out of him just because he admitted to speeding through a construction zone. You can bitch about people speeding through where you're working, but don't try and make it personal by singling someone out that hasn't done anything to you.

I think some people might need to get out and go for a ride... good thing it's the weekend!
    Bob <------ Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you
         - 2002 Yamaha R1 (92K+ miles... bought new) ---------------------------------------->
         - 2015 Yamaha Bolt C-Spec (Cafe Racer)
         - 2004 Yamaha R6 (racebike)
         - 2006 Yamaha R1 (racebike)
    R.I.P. 502
    ~ Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out, it isn't the end.

Trying to fight the ticket when you know your wrong is pretty messed up, and hiding from a process server over a $40 ticket

These three options I'm cool with:
    • If you are not the pictured driver, mail in a clear photo copy of your driver’s license and the city will dismiss your ticket.
    • The city has to be able to identify the violator (driver) if the notice is sent to a leasing company (for a leased vehicle) or a corporation name (fleet vehicle) you are not obligated to pay.
    • You are under no legal obligation to identify the driver.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
    That's not now how I perceived his statement:

All I get out of that is shock/surprise. Had he said "Sweet" at the end, or put , that would've carried a different tone, but he didn't.

Sounds to me like you're taking all your frustration out on Ricky and trying to make an example out of him just because he admitted to speeding through a construction zone. You can bitch about people speeding through where you're working, but don't try and make it personal by singling someone out that hasn't done anything to you.

I think some people might need to get out and go for a ride... good thing it's the weekend!
    And that's fine, if that's how you perceived it, I can't hold that against you. But unless you actually work out in traffic?? Which I'm guessing you don't, you'll never understand what I'm talking about.

I see more than my share of people blatantly disregarding cone zones, trucks with flashing lights, barricades, signs warning of oncoming construction and even flagmen.

Then to ice the cake, these are the types of people that like to yell at us, throw things at us, pull in between places they aren't supposed to be. And I'm not just making this up for the hell of it, I've actually had glass bottles chucked at me while I was working, only to have them shatter mere feet away from.

So you can see why I have zero tolerance for people that speed or pull other shenanigans through a construction zone. It's my life that's out in traffic day in and day out, and I honestly don't care if it(Construction Zone) wrecks your day or makes you have to go slow and be late to work. Not my problem, leave earlier if you have to or take another route.

p.s.
    I wasn't making an example of him, he's the one that popped up with the details of why he got the ticket. Kind of hard to single out someone when they admit to an 81mph in a 55mph Construction Zone.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"

Quote Originally Posted by DeeStylez View Post
    Trying to fight the ticket when you know your wrong is pretty messed up, and hiding from a process server over a $40 ticket
    I'm kinda on the fence about this issue...our countries legal system says that the government has the obligation to prove guilt. That's fair. Simply availing yourself of the system and the laws as they are written is not messed up, in my opinion.

Not to single you out and start a flame war, but a serious question - do you voluntarily go in and pay a fine every time you speed, regardless of whether or not anyone sees you, or an officer tickets you? Assuming your answer is "no" - why not? You knew you were wrong, didn't you? But you didn't get "caught", so you don't pay a penalty, right? So, it all comes down to getting "caught". In my opinion, you aren't "caught" when the citation is issued (that's just an accusation), you're "caught" when you're convicted or plead guilty. Availing yourself of the system and forcing the government to play by their own rules/laws is not messed up, it's the ways things are supposed to be!

Too many of us have become sheep when it comes to traffic violations, we simply roll over and pay the fine, regardless of if it was really deserved or not. The government realizes this, and simply wants to automate the process to make it easier to get your money. If EVERYONE properly challenged EVERY traffic ticket in court, there would be no more BS tickets written, only serious infractions would be written. Until that happens, the government will see us as nothing more than a cash register that's easy to open with nothing more than a pen and a ticket book.
    The GECCO

You begin your riding career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

I have no sympathy for people who blatantly disregard Construction or School Zones. You can't miss the flashing lights, the 50 signs pointing out a "slow zone" ahead and in my opinion, if people actually tell that to a cop. They should have their fines tripled on top of the usual double fines.

I got to say with all MI's flaws I will say their rule on construction zones make sense. You only need to slow if workmen are present, otherwise its 70mph on I75.

No reason to slow traffic if no one is present in the work zone which happens to be the case most of the time.

Perfect timing for this topic, I just got 'flashed' last night.
    BTW... anyone around Southlands, theres a brand new photo-radar camera at the Smoky Hill entrance to Southlands Mall.
    2003 ZX-12r

Quote Originally Posted by Connman View Post
    Perfect timing for this topic, I just got 'flashed' last night.
    BTW... anyone around Southlands, theres a brand new photo-radar camera at the Smoky Hill entrance to Southlands Mall.
    If I lived in Denver I might be tempted to order one and wear it around while driving...LOL

Hey thats not me in the picture...looks to be Obama mail him the ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerinWstuff View Post
    Lets see, I have two of these here on my desk that I beat. They say right on the citation in bold print:

" If you disregard this notice you can be personally served at your own expense, which will be at least $35.00, in addition to the fine indicated above, after which, failure to pay your fine in accordance with the instructions herein, could result in further action against you and may adversely affect your credit rating. You can also be served by certified mail. "
    If it's going to affect my credit I'd rather pay the $40. Or maybe that's just a ploy.
    "That which does not kill you only postpones the inevitable."

Quote Originally Posted by modette99 View Post
    I got to say with all MI's flaws I will say their rule on construction zones make sense. You only need to slow if workmen are present, otherwise its 70mph on I75.

No reason to slow traffic if no one is present in the work zone which happens to be the case most of the time.
    Not down here it doesn't apply. Marksheffel Rd.(here in the Springs) is going through major road construction at the moment. Normally it's 55mph but has been reduced down to 35mph. That 35mph applies at "ALL" times of the day or night, regardless if workers are present. And for those that feel the need to press the issue, El Paso Sheriffs are more than happy to hand you a citation for doing what you "THINK" should be the speed limit vs. the posted construction zone limit.
    Last edited by The Black Knight; Fri Apr 29th, 2011 at 09:31 PM.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"