Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY Tire Change?

DIY Tire Change?

Anyone have suggestions for doing a tire change one's self? I absolutely refuse to pay $40-50 just to have a friggin' FRONT tire replaced--it's one damn bolt to remove the wheel! The tire is only going to cost me $104 shipped from Amazon...no way I'm paying half that for the replacement.

I've called around and even buying the tire from the service place there's no reduced cost of tire replacement.

So are there any DIY tools I can put together to get the old tire off and a new one on? I'll be using Dynabeads to balance, so that's taken care of...I just need to replace the actual rubber.

So...suggestions?

Re: DIY Tire Change?

Pretty sure harbor freight sells cheap tire changers. Only complaint I've heard is you need to buy separate, no mar tools, as theirs can scratch up a rim.

I am interested in this as well as I have some tire changes coming up. Back in MD there was a few shops that would do it $20/each for me if I had the rim off the bike. None of the site sponsors here can give us a hookup?

Handful of guys on the board with tire changers and balancer setups I'm sure they would let you use if you asked nicely.
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

Where are you located? TFOG in golden does it cheap, Sol performance in Longmont is pretty cheap, and I think 303 Cycle is usually pretty cheap.

DIY- a couple of tire irons and that's about it. I use a big rug/towel in the garage to put the tire on. It's not that hard, downside is that you are more likely to scratch your rims. Other things you can use are rim savers and a bead buddy. Lots of vids on youtube.

Gold Member Yearly Supporter McVaaahhh's Avatar

One of those things I'll gladly pay for.

1) I don't want to screw up the finish on my wheels
    2) I really don't want to screw up the install of the tire and weights and have any kind of problem.

Most places will give you a discount, like TFOG, if you take the wheel off yourself and bring it in rather than just bringing in the bike.
    '02 RC-51 - Street
    '05 Pitster Pro 125 - Pitbike madness

Be polite. Be professional. But be prepared to kill everyone you meet.

"Motorcycles tell us a more useful truth: we are small and exposed, and probably moving too fast for our own good, but that's no reason not to enjoy every minute of the ride."
    ~Dave Karlotski

I live towards DIA, if TFOG is out of the way for you, we can meet up and I can take it on the way to work and pick it up end of day....

also suggestion from doing a couple with Dirk in the past, let the new tire sit out in the sun for a bit.... And have a tie down strap handy.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Do'Urden View Post
    Anyone have suggestions for doing a tire change one's self? I absolutely refuse to pay $40-50 just to have a friggin' FRONT tire replaced--it's one damn bolt to remove the wheel! The tire is only going to cost me $104 shipped from Amazon...no way I'm paying half that for the replacement.

I've called around and even buying the tire from the service place there's no reduced cost of tire replacement.

So are there any DIY tools I can put together to get the old tire off and a new one on? I'll be using Dynabeads to balance, so that's taken care of...I just need to replace the actual rubber.

So...suggestions?

We price our tire labor as follows:

With tire purchase, mount and balance:

off bike $12.99
    On bike $29.99

Without tire purchase

Off bike $25.99
    On bike $40.99

I'm not sure what bike you're working on, but even dirtbikes are a little more involved than "just one bolt" for wheel removal and installation.

That being said, it IS possible to do most tires with tire irons on your garage floor, provided you have the technique, patience, and some means of breaking the beads on a tubeless tire.
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

just have jim do it, wouldnt want to mess something up and find out in sixth gear.. thats my 0.2
    -Eugene-

2007 black hayabusa touring beast
    2003 KTM 525sx/exc hybrid
    2002 black and blue hayabusa- (SOLD)
    2000 ZX7R STREETFIGHTER-(SOLD)

I advise befriending someone with a machine...after using a pnuematic/electric machine, I will never attempt to do a bike tire by hand...car tires are easy though...

I'm surprised that you couldn't find a local deal for your front tire that overall cheaper than amazon + mounting

Quote Originally Posted by OUTLAWD View Post
    I'm surprised that you couldn't find a local deal for your front tire that overall cheaper than amazon + mounting
    Nope...cheapest was Grand Prix at $121 if I have them install it for $50 on/$40 off. That's $171 plus tax. Amazon has the tire (Bridgestone BT-023 120/60-17) for $103 shipped.

I'll have to pip Jim/TFOG and see what his price on the tire is. I'm willing to pay a "little" more for the tire locally vice online IF the replacement charge is right. $40-50 is not "right" in my book, especially if I'm buying the tire there.

Thanks a ton for all the help, guys. =)

DIY Instructions:

1. Remove wheel from bike
    2. take wheel and new tire to tire shop
    3. replace wheel on bike

Lots of places do it for $20 off the bike. There's a reason why I usually just have Epic do my tires... he's closest, and always beats everyone else.
    2008 Honda CBR600RR - Graffiti
    2002 Yamaha WR250F

I guess I better put my plug in too.

If you buy tire from Sol Performance:
    off bike: free
    on bike: $15

Either bring in your tires OR have then shipped to the shop:
    off bike: $15
    on bike: $30

prices are per wheel (up to 18" rim for now, plus tax)

If you get them swapped at the race track (off bike only) its $10 for a tire you bring to me.

Change on change'as

Sol Performance/ Preilli Race tires ...........Buy and sell take offs!!
    solperformance@gmail.com .............. www.2ndroll.com
    233. S. Madsion Ave. Loveland, CO 80537
    970.SOL.TIRE

Just scheduled a tire change with TFOG. Price was right all around. My manager at work hadn't heard of TFOG before...now he's callin' to see about new tires himself.

Thanks a ton, everyone. =)

Keep in mind that tire install prices and tire prices go hand in hand. You've gotta look at 'em together. Some shops will be really cheap on the install, but the tires are more expensive. Some shops (usually a lot of the dealerships) tend to cut you a screaming deal on tires, but then you've gotta pay higher labor costs to install 'em. If you're buying a new tire, look at the tire price AND install price to find the best deal
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by MetaLord 9 View Post
    Keep in mind that tire install prices and tire prices go hand in hand. You've gotta look at 'em together. Some shops will be really cheap on the install, but the tires are more expensive. Some shops (usually a lot of the dealerships) tend to cut you a screaming deal on tires, but then you've gotta pay higher labor costs to install 'em. If you're buying a new tire, look at the tire price AND install price to find the best deal
    Oh I was definitely doing exactly that. But what I was initially finding was that the install prices were higher than what I believe is reasonable AND the tire was more than what I could get it for myself.

Jim at TFOG was the best all around. Right price on the tire (heck, the BEST price on the tire), reasonable price for remove/replace of the tire/wheel assembly, and friendly quick service. And to top it all off he even had the tire in stock, so I didn't have to wait a week to have it all done. A very pleasant purchase and experience all around with Jim's shop. Grand Prix can suck it for tire changes.

Again, a very sincere thanks for all the suggestions (and offers of assistance). The frustrations that were incurred by calling a couple of places initially were immediately vanquished by the mighty sword of justice that is CSC. You're all knighted in my book. =P

PS:
    Just as an aside to all of this, last year my brother had both tires on his Buell Lightning changed at a motorcycle tire shop in Oklahoma City for a grand total of $10 off the bike. He didn't even buy the tires there...got 'em online and carried 'em there himself. There's no reason to charge an assload for a freakin' tire change, especially when you buy the tire from the shop that's doing the work. I blame idiots with too much money that see their H-Ds as nothing more than a toy and shrug nonchalantly at outrageous service prices with a mentality of "ya gotta pay to play". With the economy what it is, a motorcycle is more than just a fun ride for a lot of people (like myself), it's a cost-effective primary mode of transportation.
    Last edited by Darth Do'Urden; Wed May 4th, 2011 at 08:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Do'Urden View Post
    PS:
    Just as an aside to all of this, last year my brother had both tires on his Buell Lightning changed at a motorcycle tire shop in Oklahoma City for a grand total of $10 off the bike. He didn't even buy the tires there...got 'em online and carried 'em there himself. There's no reason to charge an assload for a freakin' tire change, especially when you buy the tire from the shop that's doing the work. I blame idiots with too much money that see their H-Ds as nothing more than a toy and shrug nonchalantly at outrageous service prices with a mentality of "ya gotta pay to play". With the economy what it is, a motorcycle is more than just a fun ride for a lot of people (like myself), it's a cost-effective primary mode of transportation.
    AMEN!!!
    Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M

as prices in the $40-50 range are completely absurd, the guy busting your tires has gotta eat too...

between the tire machine, balancer, power/air to run said tire machine, along with other shop overhead, paying the lackee to swap the tires along with his benefits, getting rid of the old tires, etc...there are some expenses to consider

the way I look at things is compare my hourly rate and the time it would take me to do (name labor item), to what (shop in question) charges. that said, stealerships will never touch my cars/bikes, but will I toss somebody $20-30 to swap a pair of tires off the bike, you betchya, because how much time would I have to waste doing it by hand...alot more than an hour...

the first time I needed tires out here, I hit up my local dealer, and they wanted $500 for a set of Pilot Powers, mounted off the bike...I laughed in the parts guys face and got the hookup from one of the denver shops
    Last edited by OUTLAWD; Wed May 4th, 2011 at 10:34 PM.

Darth,

I have a tire machine, and I would be happy to help you out. Let me know if you need a hand. I am down in Aurora.

tire machine tree?

No tire machine tree; they are way too big; however, this ONE fruit always saves the day. You know you guys are always welcome to use this. It is cheap and easy.

Can it do 12 inch rims? I forgot to ask you the other night. I really don't want to do these minimoto tires by hand.

Let's give it a shot, man!

Our price is $20 with or without tire purchase, for mounting including spin balance. Also if you have'nt gotten your tires yet we still have our q2 sets starting at $199.95 per pair. I think thats a great deal.
    Performance Cycle of Colorado
    1990 S Broadway
    Denver Co 80210 303-744-2011

Valve core remover, couple tire spoons, a shovel, and some windex... and air compressor helps to getting the beads seated...