Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rescue mission?

Rescue mission?

I'm sitting in-between the downing exit and university southbound on 25 with a dead bike on the right shoulder... Can anyone help a brother out? I'm on my iPhone. Numbers 720-473-####. Traffic sucks by the way and I have a last resort that can get me at 5.

Any takers with a Trailer sitting around looking for something to do?
    Last edited by Valguard; Sun May 29th, 2011 at 07:18 AM.
    Hold on to your butts.

07 GSXR-600

Re: Rescue mission?

Hitchhiked. Omw to get a trailer and pick it up.

What the fuck would make a bike complelty die in the middle of driving? It's got to be electrical. At least, I think it is. Maybe something got hot and melted?
    Hold on to your butts.

07 GSXR-600

That sucks man, If I had a trailer. I'm about to go ride now cause I have nothing to do.
    91 FZR 600
    82 Custom XV750

Gold Member Yearly Supporter Sully's Avatar

Glad someone helped you, hopefully they won't try to kill you!

One time I was riding and accidentally hit the killswitch and when my bike died, I was like wtf?! Durrr... Took me a second to figure out what happened
    Glitter Factory Racing
    MRA #415

Sol Performance - Pirelli Tires

Fuel switch and Kill switch, made a fool out of me when I first started. Sitting in parking lots trying to get my bike started lol.
    91 FZR 600
    82 Custom XV750

Well, long story short U-Hual sucks. Ended up paying to get it towed. Balls!

Anyway, well see what the hell is going on once I get it here. As far as diagnosing goes, it is COMPLETELY dead. I mean nothing happens when you flick/turn/do anything. Its like the battery just died completely with out any warning, or the terminal just popped off. Could it over heat and just kill itself as some kind of safety? (even though that does not sound very safe) I dont know...

Damn this sucks. I hope its a quick fix. HPR on Monday dammit!
    Hold on to your butts.

07 GSXR-600

Stator went out and didn't charge the battery causing it to drain completely. Check the wires to/from the stator then hit eBay or grand prix
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

If it is the stator I have one I can probably sell. It is in my garage but it is not mine, it is part of a blown engine and other parts have been sold so I am sure the owner would be willing to sell.

Check your main fuse as well.

Check the stator or regulator. Same thing happened to my gixxer 2 weeks after I went down, the stator grounded to the block and fried 2 coils out of it so while I'm cruising in hampden and Sheridan.... it just died lol
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

Sweet thanks for the tips. Ill check out all those things. If it is the Stator, hopefully you're available later Longrider and Ill send you a PM. I'm going to tackle it later in the afternoon as I have some other things I have to do before hand. I'm charging the battery right now.
    Hold on to your butts.

07 GSXR-600

So, just plugged Ina fully charged battery. Nothing still happenes. Checked the fuses and they are all fine. Is the stator still on the table? Or regulator?
    Hold on to your butts.

07 GSXR-600

OK! I did forget to check one fuse. It was the main one, 30 watt, that looks like the power cord connects to. (probably the first fuse I should have checked.) Changed it out with the spare, started up no problem and no error codes.

SO... what the hell caused it to blow? I'm going to bring some extras to the track on Monday and hope that it doesn't happen again. Fingers are crossed that it was just some fluke. Maybe something got wet and touched or who knows.
    Hold on to your butts.

07 GSXR-600

Quote Originally Posted by Valguard View Post
    OK! I did forget to check one fuse. It was the main one, 30 watt, that looks like the power cord connects to. (probably the first fuse I should have checked.) Changed it out with the spare, started up no problem and no error codes.

SO... what the hell caused it to blow? I'm going to bring some extras to the track on Monday and hope that it doesn't happen again. Fingers are crossed that it was just some fluke. Maybe something got wet and touched or who knows.
    Not meant as an attack, but it's a 30 Amp fuse.

That going out can be multiple things. First thing to do is pick up another spare just in case it happens again. Second thing to do is to check to make sure the regulator/rectifier isn't overcharging. If both of those are good it could be a couple of things, probably an intermittent short somewhere. Keep us updated.

To blow that main fuse just about requires a short in the wiring. An internal fault in the regulator/rectifier is very unlikely, usually if that fails it stays failed and blows the new fuse the instant you put it in. A problem in the regulator/rectifier connector is a good possibility, that can overheat and melt the plastic possibly exposing the connectors. The only other place that power goes before another smaller fuse is the ignition switch. One other possibility is the fuse just had a mechanical failure in that the conductor broke from vibration. I would check your wiring for anything exposed, other than that just have spare fuses with you.

30 Amp. Thanks.

Yep, I'm going to pick up some fuses tomorrow and give the bike a solid once over before Monday.
    Hold on to your butts.

07 GSXR-600

try Face book next time, I had my I-Phone with me, at home doing Yard work and have a trailer chalked and ready with straps. Sorry that you were down and out!

Quote Originally Posted by Valguard View Post
    I'm sitting in-between the downing exit and university southbound on 25 with a dead bike on the right shoulder... Can anyone help a brother out? I'm on my iPhone. Numbers 720-473-0553. Traffic sucks by the way and I have a last resort that can get me at 5.

Any takers with a Trailer sitting around looking for something to do?
    €~~~ Ramon Uribe ~~~€. 2011 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R (Current 2019)

-"CSC Community" Trailer - Is Available As Of (Stolen!!!!!!!) FML - @ My Home
    720-475-6984

Yea, it just that 90% of my FB friends are not in Colorado and the other 10% were working. Thanks for the PM though. I really appreciate it.
    Hold on to your butts.

07 GSXR-600

Fuck. Just tried to start and I'm back to nothing. No fuses are blown this time. Any ideas? Battery is fully charged.
    Hold on to your butts.

07 GSXR-600

At this point I would dig out the voltmeter. With the key off you should have 12 volts at the battery lead of the solenoid, both sides of the 30A fuse, and the red lead of the ignition switch. Turn the key on and you then also have 12V at the orange lead of the ignition switch and a bunch of other places. An electrical problem like this just requires checking everything to find the break

Longrider you had it right. I got to the bottom of it... and it was the regulator no doubt. How can I be so sure? I'm glad you asked.

It caught on fire.

You know, electrical problems are way easier to diagnose when 5 inch flames are shooting out of the troubled area.

So here is what happened:
    I decided to take off work today and tackle the issue head on. My bike is already completely broken down, I have studied the wiring diagrams, and I am ready. First thing first. Square one. Check the battery. I test it and it's not holding a charge and is only putting out less then 4 volts. BOOM. Problem solved homies! I buy a new battery, filler up, charger up, drop her in, and wham. Starts right up. My exuberance lasted about 5 seconds when flames start shooting out of the bike. It of course blows the fuse, bike dies, and the flames go out. Of course I am freaking out and starting unscrewing the negative lead as fast as I can even though the excitement is over. Once I calm down (its not everyday that you see flames shooting out from your bike in a garage full of gas and other flamables!) I look under the bike and there is the regulator, completely fried. "well, there's your problem" I say to myself. I rip that thing out and thats thats.

So, anyone have a 2007 GSXR 600 Regulator they are willing to part company with?
    Hold on to your butts.

07 GSXR-600

Wow, that could've gone sideways really quickly.
    '16 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
    '12 Kawasaki Concours14 -
    Sold
    '08 Kawasaki Concours14 -
    Sold
    '05 Suzuki SV1000S - Sold
    '07 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 - Sold

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think wrider said regulator.

Quote Originally Posted by rfranks303 View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I think wrider said regulator.
    I did but madvlad had it way before I did.

Glad you're ok and you weren't on the bike when it started to shoot flames, with the location of that one it would NOT have been pretty...
    Unfortunately that one isn't covered under the recall that was recently put out though.

Hope you're able to find one soon!