Thread: Some ninja 250 "repair" questions

Some ninja 250 "repair" questions

So i recently picked up a used 250 from scott here on the board for a great deal. i got the thing running after some new spark plugs. now its leaking some gas and oil but ive pin pointed thoes problems. my problem now is that i will try to start the bike and i have to keep the throttle wide open for it to to start to run. well when im able to let off the start button i have to keep the throttle pinned back all the way and the bike just kinda sputters(kinda running). if i do this for about 10 seconds it will finally get running and running good. it will idle and run fine.

what im trying to figure out is if this is a dirty fuel system problem. the tank is caked with rust so therefore the fuel filter and the carbs probably are too. im going to go pick up a new filter and see if that makes a difference and also take the tank and get that thing cleaned out( high pressure water sprayer and some degreaser.)

So any if you that have had this problem.....i know ralph will come to my rescue but if anyone else has any input it would be much appericated.
    Firefighters find them hot, leave them wet

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Re: Some ninja 250 "repair" questions

Sparker,

Does it do this every time you start it or just the first time? The first time I started it it did this too, but I didn't have any problems after that.

A new fuel filter and fresh gas will probably go a long way. If you go to Napa they have a product called Kreeme that is for rusty fuel tanks.

Thanks again, glad to hear you're making progress with it!

Scott

Hey Josh,
    It sounds like an older bike.. maybe you should consider getting a carburetor rebuild kit, I’m sure it would not be expensive and you can redo the carbs completely.. Might be a fun project.. I could help you out with.
    Also something to think about would be your spark delivery… ignition coil, wires. etc.
    Let me know if you need any help man..

scott, it didnt do it the first time it fired up. once i let it run for a little while and then shut it off and tried to restart it, it did it. now it does it everytime. so im thinking maybe a dirty fuel system.

frank, i dont think it would be a carb rebuild problem as that as soon as it gets going it runs just fine. if it were a big carb problem i would think that it would do it all the time but i dunno. after putting in new spark plugs the spark is strong. the wires look a little worn out but still getting a good, strong spark. ive looked into some new plug wires though and thats on the list.

i was able to ride it around for about 1 minute yesterday and it rides great its just getting it started. we'll see how it does with a new fuel filter and a clean fuel tank.

okay so now there is more to the story. yesterday i could get it to start right up and idle fine and sound great. now today when i get home from work i try and start it and it just kinda kicks over and the nothing. when i push the start button i hear a loud click from what i am thinking is the starter relay. any ideas?

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Sounds like a dead battery. If you've been starting and stopping it a lot it never gets to charge the battery. Put a charger on it over night and see what you get, I'd bet it solves the problem.

Remember the battery is really small. Use the lowest charge setting on your charger. (2 amps if possible)

i put a charger on it and it said that it was charged. its not a constant clicking like a dead battery. its one loud click everytime i try to start it. maybe ill try jumping it from one of thoes emergcy things i have since they dont put out a huge amount of power. hopefully its just a battery or something. the girl wants to ride!

Also check your battery connections, make sure they are tight and rust free.
    I had the same loud click - due to a loose connection.
    2000 Honda RC51

Sounds like the Starter to me....

The problem with starting it up and having to hold full throttle for a while sounds like the carburetor float needle valve may be sticking and flooding it out. This is very common with rust flowing through the fuel system. Clean out the fuel tank, Clean out the carbs, Put on a good fuel filter, Use new gas, and maybe even replace the fuel lines as they too could be scaling off internally. If the problem continues after cleaning out the tank you may need to seal it internally also.

As far as the latest starting problem goes have the battery load tested. It can show full charge but when put under load it just goes flat. Remove and CLEAN all the electrical connections on the battery and every where else you can get to. Try another battery if you have one. And then finally have the starter checked out as that might be the culprit.

I am not being familiar with this particular bike, but if it has them I would also clean or replace the points and check the initial timing.

Good luck.
    Marc
    84 R100RS LE, 14 Ducati MTSGT, 18 Desert Sled, 73 850 Commando, 78 CT90, 14 Ural, 74 Eldorado police, 64 R50/2, 01 DRZ400E, 94 900SS/CR, 77 HD XLCR, 2011 T100, 63 MG Falcone', 75 Ducati 860GT, 2015 Royal Enfield Classic Chrome, 2009 XR1200, 1944 Nimbus, 1989 GB500 https://lomaxcm.smugmug.com/