Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: NEED SEVERE HELP

Re: NEED SEVERE HELP

Revan you can just buy a streetfighter headlight assembly (round headlights with a non-fairing mount). Please see this thread about Kevin's 2001 ZX6R. Maybe ask him for some advice?
    George Mock | 2008 ZX6R | GoPro Hero | 3:551 5806

Senior Member cptschlongenheimer's Avatar

I'm not the expert here either... Maybe our physicists can enlighten the masses?
    89 EX500 RIP
    06 R6S RIP
    03 R6

hahah thanks a lot vellos. exactly what i was looking for
    '01 ZX-6R

Quote Originally Posted by Penadam View Post
    If you run the math on it, in a simplified world, the mass of a vehicle is not relevant in how hard it can brake, it's solely dependent on the coefficient of friction. In the real world, you run into heat dissipation, tire deformation, suspension settings and weight transfer, etc... which complicates things.
    I'm really trying to understand what you mean here... the mentioned friction force depends on the component of the weight normal to the surface (road), and the coefficient of friction between the surfaces. What math are you doing to be able to cancel the normal component of the weigh? Inertia equations or something? Static vs. Kinetic? Kinematics? Assumptions? Just curious.
    Last edited by Vehicle 1; Thu May 12th, 2011 at 01:56 PM.
    636 '04
    DRZ400SM '08
    EXC 520 '02

Part of it is technique too. If you load the front end first then apply max brake (separate but rapid) you get much better results than just grabbing a shitload of lever in a blind panic. Your (front) contact patch and corresponding available braking traction increase and then get used to their max when done right
    89 EX500 RIP
    06 R6S RIP
    03 R6

Quote Originally Posted by Penadam View Post
    Once the brakes on a vehicle have the ability to lock the wheel up, braking becomes less about the brakes and more about how much traction the tires have. As most modern cars and bikes can lock up the brakes (hence ABS) it comes down to the braking force the tires can provide. If you run the math on it, in a simplified world, the mass of a vehicle is not relevant in how hard it can brake, it's solely dependent on the coefficient of friction. In the real world, you run into heat dissipation, tire deformation, suspension settings and weight transfer, etc... which complicates things.

Bottom line is, basically all sportsbikes with good tires are capable of outbraking the majority of cars on the road.
    Agreed. The formula for determining speed from a skid (doesn't need to skid, mind you) is derived from the work energy theorem, which cancels out weight. Sportbikes have been known to generate a stopping force greater than 1G, greater than the roadway's coefficient of friction. Your average Toyota or Ford with ABS can reach about a 0.85. Granted, you need to have experience riding in order to achieve that 1G of stopping force, but it can be done.

Based on the equations, locked wheels and other assumptions yes mass cancels out... but based on the systems that are acting on a vehicle, mass plays a big role I think.
    636 '04
    DRZ400SM '08
    EXC 520 '02

The most limiting component in emergency braking on the street is the rider. 99% of us cannot reach maximum braking efficiency on a motorcycle. I race, and I know I still can't. A car is easier. Mash the foot and you are at 100% maximum braking. Some of you may think you are at 100% when most likely due to bad form, incorrect technique, are realistically around 60% braking or less.

Don't get me wrong...
    I know I'm not god's gift to braking.
    I do go practice often though. The wreck that killed my EX500 was similar to what revan experienced. Driver made illegal left right in front of me. However, what caused me to crash was two factors, both my fault.
    1- I was not scanning aggressively enough. Had i been, I would've seen him getting ready to take my right of way.
    2- I did not properly brake. I was only going 20-ish and had 15 feet or so to stop but I immediately locked both wheels and skidded straight into the side of his truck.

Hindsight being what it is I now go practice quick stops in empty parking lots at least every couple weeks for 5-10 mins. I know it's saved me at least once from making the same mistake as before.
    89 EX500 RIP
    06 R6S RIP
    03 R6

Quote Originally Posted by vort3xr6 View Post
    The most limiting component in emergency braking on the street is the rider. 99% of us cannot reach maximum braking efficiency on a motorcycle. I race, and I know I still can't. A car is easier. Mash the foot and you are at 100% maximum braking. Some of you may think you are at 100% when most likely due to bad form, incorrect technique, are realistically around 60% braking or less.
    Totally true. Practicing braking from highway speeds is a good exercise.

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...formance.shtml

Not a motorcycle article, but has great information on braking and weight transfer. Just remember there will be almost 0 weight on the rear wheel during hard braking on a bike.

Practicing braking might help, but I still believe only professional racers know how to stop a motorcycle the quickest, without washing out the front end.

if she was such a bad phone driver you probably should have been watching her a little closer...bummer dude.