Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lane splitting

Re: Lane splitting

I used to do it all the time in Arizona before I got pulled over. I was a crazy son of a bitch though. Cars would dart out and you always have to have an escape plan. IMO nothing is more exhilarating than playing dodge ball with cars. I did it on Kipling the other day on the way home because there was an accident and a jeep swerved into the middle so I couldn't pass. Colorado has some asshole drivers.

Gold Member Yearly Supporter Sully's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vort3xr6 View Post
    Colorado has some asshole drivers.
    Agreed.

What is the big deal if a bike wants to pass you, it's not taking up that much space anyway... so I don't get the drivers who want to cut you off or swerve over so you can't get by.
    Glitter Factory Racing
    MRA #415

Sol Performance - Pirelli Tires

I try my luck in the canyons, I try my luck at the track, I have a feeling if I started lane splitting, I'd run out of luck

I've taken the shoulder a couple times before, but for some reason, that almost seems more blatant - you're right out there in the open free to be pulled over! And as mentioned, there's always the debris.

So for those who have done it, or do it regularly, or are from Cali where it's common, how best to go about it the first time? I've sat in stopped traffic, nearly on the center line, looking wistfully down between the miles of lined up cars, my heart pounding, my grip on the clutch loosening... and then I chicken out and continue to wait. I suppose just go for it, slowly at first, huh?

I mean, are you looking in people's mirrors to be sure they see you, watching for signs of a cutoff like a car's front wheel turning in, watching brake lights, how far ahead are you looking, how fast do you go, (around here, not very fast, I would think) does traffic have to be at near standstill before it's appropriate, do you stay in a low gear to make more noise and better control? Some tips from the pros would be helpful.

Like anything else riding, if I'm going to split lanes, I want to be safe while doing so and have some idea of what to expect.

And yes, I too think it should be legal
    "I'm not listening.
    You keep talking.
    How weird is that?"

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    I've taken the shoulder a couple times before, but for some reason, that almost seems more blatant - you're right out there in the open free to be pulled over! And as mentioned, there's always the debris.

So for those who have done it, or do it regularly, or are from Cali where it's common, how best to go about it the first time? I've sat in stopped traffic, nearly on the center line, looking wistfully down between the miles of lined up cars, my heart pounding, my grip on the clutch loosening... and then I chicken out and continue to wait. I suppose just go for it, slowly at first, huh?

I mean, are you looking in people's mirrors to be sure they see you, watching for signs of a cutoff like a car's front wheel turning in, watching brake lights, how far ahead are you looking, how fast do you go, (around here, not very fast, I would think) does traffic have to be at near standstill before it's appropriate, do you stay in a low gear to make more noise and better control? Some tips from the pros would be helpful.

Like anything else riding, if I'm going to split lanes, I want to be safe while doing so and have some idea of what to expect.

And yes, I too think it should be legal
    I guess if you have to start trying it, starting at a red light wouldn't be too bad of an idea. Look ahead and make sure people cant/wont move at all and check to make sure its not about to turn green. Should probably break the ice for ya.
    MRA Expert #880 - 2015 AmateurGTO Champion, 2013 NoviceGTU Champion
    2006 YZF-R6 Race "No name" - 2005 YZF-R6 Street "Aurora"
    2015 Sponsors: Dunlop, Speedin Motorsports, STM Suspension, Silkolene Lubricants, EBC Brakes, Pit-Bull Products

Text: (72O) 432-7236

Senior Member Yearly Supporter Swift's Avatar

Start by doing some "filtering", then you'll begin to understand the usage and safe speed of lane splitting. If you don't know, Filtering is the act of proceeding in front of stopped cars at a traffic light to being in front of the traffic. This limits the likelihood of being run over and getting caught in traffic that doesn't see you (for whatever reason).

I usually never have a problem doing some slow speed splitting (20-25mph max) so I have plenty of time to react to an asshole. I occasionally get some but its usually because they have their head up their ass not paying attention.

The only instance I've had so far of someone even remotely being pissed off about me splitting was when someone yelled out a car window as I rode by "DUMB ASS!" to which I politely waved signaling "I don't really give a fuck".
    2003 BMW R1150R - For Sale - PM for details
    2007 BMW 328Xi Coupe - The Cage

Quote Originally Posted by WolFeYeZ View Post
    I guess if you have to start trying it, starting at a red light wouldn't be too bad of an idea. Look ahead and make sure people cant/wont move at all and check to make sure its not about to turn green. Should probably break the ice for ya.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    Start by doing some "filtering", then you'll begin to understand the usage and safe speed of lane splitting. If you don't know, Filtering is the act of proceeding in front of stopped cars at a traffic light to being in front of the traffic. This limits the likelihood of being run over and getting caught in traffic that doesn't see you (for whatever reason).

I usually never have a problem doing some slow speed splitting (20-25mph max) so I have plenty of time to react to an asshole. I occasionally get some but its usually because they have their head up their ass not paying attention.

The only instance I've had so far of someone even remotely being pissed off about me splitting was when someone yelled out a car window as I rode by "DUMB ASS!" to which I politely waved signaling "I don't really give a fuck".
    Sounds like good advice - I never thought of doing that. So once you're at the front, you just sit there at the red light inbetween cars and get the jump on them at the green, huh? Sounds like fun
    "I'm not listening.
    You keep talking.
    How weird is that?"

Did it all the time in Cali, the drivers there are used to it. Ive had to adjust someones attitude with the helmet in Seattle, they drive like real dicks up there and appearantly feel we should wait in line. Done it here a couple times to get out of a thunderstorm. Ill weave traffic when its moving since I ride on the very far outside/inside of the lane anyway. Its kinda like splitting it, but you just do it one car at a time, go from space to space in each adjoining lane. People still get butthurt about it. Id recommend carying a gun and getting good with left handed shooting if you want to do it here, or at least carry some ballbearings or sparkplugs to throw. Ive gotten in altercations a couple times over doing it, best to be prepared.
    Slow and stupid....at least its entertaining to watch.

03 R1 Limited Edition (Satanic Edition)
    00 R6 Racebike

MRA # 420
    Rocky Mountain Photos, DBA Construction LLC

I did it once with a Motorcop, at the end of September I was coming down I-25 and there was a huge accident @ 84th ave. A Motorcop came up "lane sharing" and waved in behind him and helped me get through all the damn backed up traffic it wasnt too bad but then again everyone was moving over anyway hehe, gave me a thumbs up once I was cleared to exit at 84th with everyone else but at that point I just continued till I got to the light then merged in with all the traffic . I take it he was probably from Cali! Haha

Oh, and No, I would not do it on a regular bases, Emergency Situation, like I'm about to get hit from behind For sure, but just to get through traffic faster, Nope, not for me! Besides the fact it's illegal I just wouldn't feel comfortable. IMO
    Last edited by DemonRider; Fri May 13th, 2011 at 06:37 PM.
    €~~~ Ramon Uribe ~~~€. 2011 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R (Current 2019)

-"CSC Community" Trailer - Is Available As Of (Stolen!!!!!!!) FML - @ My Home
    720-475-6984

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Sounds like good advice - I never thought of doing that. So once you're at the front, you just sit there at the red light inbetween cars and get the jump on them at the green, huh? Sounds like fun
    I don't sit in between cars. I either stay to the outside of the right lane just ahead of the guy next to me or in front of everyone pretty much on the crosswalk if there is one. 9/10 times you are the fastest thing off the line so if someone still wants to get butt hurt about it, be prepared to use your helmet as an alternative to a baseball bat.

You guys are begging for trouble from LEOs and the motoring public lane sharing in CO (unless an emergency as stated). Change your route, leave at a diff time, ride the back streets, etc.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

I take my lane splitting advice from this dude...

http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/2qcqIO...53DXihQeZpwqpE

Lane splitting on the double yellow with fast traffic on both sides.... GENIUS!
    MRA Expert #880 - 2015 AmateurGTO Champion, 2013 NoviceGTU Champion
    2006 YZF-R6 Race "No name" - 2005 YZF-R6 Street "Aurora"
    2015 Sponsors: Dunlop, Speedin Motorsports, STM Suspension, Silkolene Lubricants, EBC Brakes, Pit-Bull Products

Text: (72O) 432-7236

Quote Originally Posted by FZRguy View Post
    You guys are begging for trouble from LEOs and the motoring public lane sharing in CO (unless an emergency as stated). Change your route, leave at a diff time, ride the back streets, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie675 View Post

respect.

I wonder if he covers the brake...

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    ... be prepared to use your helmet as an alternative to a baseball bat.
    Hopefully not while it's on yer head...

I've seen that before! IN-FRICKIN-SANE! He's a death wish waiting to happen! Music from the Matrix II LA Freeway scene - classic.
    "I'm not listening.
    You keep talking.
    How weird is that?"

At least he slows down when there's opposing traffic while he's straddling the double-yellow. I guess that's something?
    2015 KTM 1290R (Black)

...or we could just wait in traffic just like everybody else and not think we're more special.
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by MetaLord 9 View Post
    ...or we could just wait in traffic just like everybody else and not think we're more special.
    My mom says that I'm special. Does that count in this situation?

Only if you've got the helmet to prove it!
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

What? I am not the center of the universe? I am fucking entitled!

I just don't understand the haters

Only if you've got the helmet to prove it!
    Yup, it's made out of tinfoil and everything!

I think the last time I lane split I somehow ended up on Bueller's lawn. It did not end well.
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

I think the last time I lane split I somehow ended up on Bueller's lawn. It did not end well.
    I'm sure the first think he told you was to get off it..

MRA Racer No.427