Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lane splitting

Re: Lane splitting

[SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Zach929rr View Post
    you should go check out turn one at pueblo.

Hey Goose, what exactly is lane splitting?
    Hold on to your butts.

07 GSXR-600

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cQvcZlo2yo I MISS CALI SOOOOOOO MUCH. AND THEN I DON'T
    "When you on the track, you have to be enjoying the moment, you have to be flowing, "Be water, My Friend". You try to be the fastest, and it seems a little beet estupid, 20 riders making the same way, lap by lap, but this simple thing: is very complicated." #99

"When you on the track, you have to be enjoying the moment, you have to be flowing, "Be water, My Friend". You try to be the fastest, and it seems a little beet estupid, 20 riders making the same way, lap by lap, but this simple thing: is very complicated." #99

I was driving today, and 5 people lane split right in front of me! I instantly could sense how cool they were, even the ones in shorts. Now I wanna lane split so hard.

Then again I am in california right now...

I was thinking "WTF, it's been raining and 40º the last two days!

Then I read this:

Quote Originally Posted by Penadam View Post
    Then again I am in california right now...
    HAHA!
    "I'm not listening.
    You keep talking.
    How weird is that?"

this forum is buried in sarcasm

[SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

I usually sit in traffic but on occasion I've lane split to the front of a line in traffic.

Coming back from Dave's memorial ride last summer I got stuck on one of the highways leaving Denver. Bumper to bumper/stopped traffic for miles to MoCo, so I split there, mainly because it was close to 100 degrees and I was dying sitting still in my all black leathers.

I've only had one guy get pissed off. On 24 coming into Divide, CO I was behind a caravan of cars. Once we hit the first stop light I opted to go to the front. A jeep in the front flipped me off and yelled something at me and then decided to rage on me by flying past me and slamming on his breaks.

I would do it regularly if it's legal just to move to the front of a stop light. I'm kind of chicken shit to do it on moving traffic. A few years ago Mrs. Clovis and I took a vacation to Southern California and our rental was a Crown Vic (a boat on wheels). The first few Harleys to split past me startled me but then I got used to it, followed by "I wish I had my bike!!"
    "If not us, who? If not now, when?"

Really? Really...

Come on guy.

Good story Clovis . I split when I need to go. But I like pin-balling.

It's Lane Sharing.... Not splitting. I miss riding in Cali. Wouldn't do it out here if you paid me.
    Remember Yesterday. Plan For Tomorrow. Live For Today.

Current Stable:

'o5 SuzukiGSX-1oooR
    (Custom Street Fighter).
    'o6 Pitster Pro 50cc Pit Bike (125cc Big Bore Kit).

Patatoe tomato who cares besides you . Good for you . Ride at your limit.

Never done it. First time I saw people doing it (in Cali on the Bay bridge), I was excited to try it myself, but found it was illegal here, LAME!
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

Only lame if you have to pay the fine.

Local jerk Yearly Supporter

Won't be attempting this

I wish they would legalize it. My only fear is getting pulled over/ticketed. I've done it a handful of times on the shoulder, even though I don't like all the debris, I hate traffic on a bike even more.*
    I've only done it once on the freeway going in between cars at a reasonable safe speed when traffic was at a standstill, some honked and even swerved. it is nerve racking though.

I think they did a research where they compared California to Texas & Florida (similarity in population and riding seasons), and Cali had 30% less of rear end fatalities.*

I ran a battery dead last summer in 30 minutes of stop and go I-25 traffic. Wasn't turning enough RPM to charge the battery, meanwhile the radiator fan was running non stop to cool the engine until the battery went so dead that the engine stalled and wouldn't start.

had to work my way across 3 lanes of traffic pushing the bike uphill until I neared 58th ave and was finally able to bump start it.

point? even water cooled bikes aren't made to sit in traffic and idle all day
    1998 VFR800 Interceptor - resurrected and custom tail http://vfrworld.com/forums/5th-gener...98-vfr800.html

1999 DR650SE

Hence gotta keep moving

I find it funny that people get worked up by the act.

I grew up riding in California so lane sharing is second nature to me. I've only done it a couple of times outside of California. Once in Georgia when there was an accident on I95 and my bike was heating up. People there were cool with it. I also did it once in Alabama and some redneck cousin-fucker got so pissed that he tried to run me down.

Quote Originally Posted by Peanut_EOD View Post
    I grew up riding in California so lane sharing is second nature to me. I've only done it a couple of times outside of California. Once in Georgia when there was an accident on I95 and my bike was heating up. People there were cool with it. I also did it once in Alabama and some redneck cousin-fucker got so pissed that he tried to run me down.
    I give people the benefit of the doubt, maybe an emergency they are trying to get to like wife is pregnant and they got the call, vehicle is overheating and if it stops it will be worst for everyone, or rider is extremely hot/cold and needs to get some air flow.

I did it on Pikes Peak when they were paving, my XRR was getting up their in temps so I slowly just kept rolling on the left of everyone...I had an asshat yell at me and I just yelled back "I'm overheating asshole".

Get to the top asshat comes in and I'm standing there with my friends who by the way waited (touring bikes liquid cooled, made to sit and idle). Anyways asshat slowly walks by shooting me a nasty look, I just loudly say to my friends "look at this asshole "as I point to the guy" gets all pissed when I was overheating and would rather I kill the engine and have to kick start it on a hill and clog the whole thing for God knows how long"...the guy seemed to change his face expression after that. I think it dawned on him...oh overheating + kick start, yeah not a good thing. People are plan stupid.

It's like the people that do 10-5mph UNDER the speed limit int he left lane and then you pass on the right and they get all ticked off and try and block you or then proceed to tailgate you, I had one dude follow me up to 100mph inches off my bumper (a brake check brought him back to reality as he swerved). Obviously in my cage doing that.

I will never understand what people are thinking or lack of thinking.

I've "lane split" (call it what you want, Matty ) through 10+ miles of bumper to bumper traffic, approaching a bad accident in LA (illegal) and also did it a bunch in Cali up and down the coast. I love it! No one ever messed with me in Cali but assholes in LA get pissed because they are stuck there and I get to pass them. I've had guys try to swerve to block me off or even open their door a little. I usually like to either kick their side mirror off (back in my younger/stupid days) or maneuver to the other side of them and get on the shoulder, in front of them where they can't floor it and run me down. I then proceeded to hit the rev-limiter for enough time to sufficiently piss them off and satisfy myself. Then I'll give them the bird and pull away slowly as they breathe in my exhaust and get even more pissed. Sometimes, just sometimes, life makes me happyJ
    "Leze Le Bon Temps Roulet"
    Let The Good Times Roll!!