Thread: Mexican Sportbike Adventure

Exposed Member Lifetime Supporter Bashed's Avatar

Mexican Sportbike Adventure

As some of you might know, I try to get down south once or more a year to ride Mexico. The last four trips I have enjoyed doing on/off road rides on some type of dual sport moto. As I have traveling there, I have become familer with some roads, customs, and destinations in Mexico. To really experiance Mexico imo, one needs to get off the main routes and out of the big cities. Interaction on a more simpler and personal level has given me some insite on our cousins to the south. With that being said, my next trip or one I feel I want to do is a pure sportbike ride.

An all pavement ride down the mainland, crossing the Gulf of Cortez on the ferry, and riding up the Baja introduced me to Mexico. OldKneeDragger was the guide for that one, and it was a blast, to say the least.
    This time, rather than do a ride consisting of mostly long straight roads up the Baja Pennisula, I am going for a mostly curvy type route. All the roads I have in mind I have ridden, save a few I have been researching. The trip will be focusing on the Sierra Madre Mountian Range, from the border south to the Tropic of Cancer and beyond. This trip will make you either hate or embrace curvy roads, as they continue far past anything the US has to offer. Tail of the Dragon, childs play compared to what this trip will incude. After this trip you will welcome a straight section to rest.

So, I put it to you, who would be interested in such an endevour?
    Bikes and riders would have to be in top condition, not to mention the cost and unexpected problems that will arise undoubtably happen out on the road. Do you think this is what you might want to do?
    I have a pretty good route that would criss-cross the mountians to maximize the experiance, nothing but twisties for hundreds of miles, almost zero cops out on the open roads, and great food and culture.
    I figure a hundred bucks a day, 7 days in country, and a travel day to and from the border, 9 days total. There are other expenses that will be incured, so right @ 1G, plus the border document fees which cost more money recently. This will include a day @ the beach in either Matzatlan or Puerto Vallarta.You will go past this marker....

No time has been set as I am starting a new job and the date will have to be figured at a later time.
    Discuss
    Last edited by Bashed; Tue Feb 7th, 2012 at 09:17 PM.
    * Bash, Bashasaurus, Ms Bash, his neighbors or friends are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you being squidish, squid like, squirting ink, or waving your non-covered tentacles about in a squidy fashion. Nor is he or his associates responsible for any citations as a result of you hanging with SoCo. Any attempt to coerce, blame, question, or pin your loser-riffic behavior on any of us, or those who are considered us for the night, as well as people we like, to include Salma Hayek and Nicky Hayden, among others, will result in a profanity stricken series of post that mock and taunt you incessantly, as well as many of us adding such insults to our signature lines. Avoid taking SoCo before bedtime. Do not use if you experience faintness, dizziness, inverness, difficulty urinating or blotchy skin. If I steal a line, quote, avatar or image from a post you make on the internet, you're not getting credit.*

Re: Mexican Sportbike Adventure

Very jealous man however with the cartel problems going on just be careful.
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR
    2024 Aprilia Tuono Factory Ultra Gold

Local jerk Yearly Supporter

How many hours of riding per day to accommodate the time frame?

That's going to be an awesome trip! Bash do you have a general time frame in mind?
    "If not us, who? If not now, when?"

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

If I rented an Aprilia Futura to do it, would that be considered cheating?
    Last edited by ~Barn~; Tue Feb 7th, 2012 at 09:44 PM. Reason: Changed my mind about the bike...
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Quote Originally Posted by madvlad View Post
    Very jealous man however with the cartel problems going on just be careful.
    Two years ago I rode down to the Copper Canyon area by MYSELF. I spent 9 days in and around this area mostly on back dirt type roads. This is in the heart of Narco country, as the locals call it. I met people down there with large bundles of pot on thier backs going to market. I made small talk about my route with them, and went on my way. No real different than a bundle of corn to them, just another day on the job. If the cartels want you dead, you will be dead. As I don't traffic in drugs, people, or money, I was not a threat. If one keeps thier wits about them and smile, most people will go out of thier way to help you if in trouble.
    Yes, there is a war going on, and a person could be in the wrong place at the wrong time and get hurt, but it could just as well happen here also. I have a few stories of experiances concerning the battle down there, for sure, that was just one instance.

Quote Originally Posted by grim View Post
    How many hours of riding per day to accommodate the time frame?
    Between 6-10 hours per day, 200-400 miles, depending on the day and feel. When I travel in Mexico, I have learned that time fluctuates and if one stays flexible, it makes the trip alot more enjoyable.
    Last edited by Bashed; Tue Feb 7th, 2012 at 09:48 PM.
    * Bash, Bashasaurus, Ms Bash, his neighbors or friends are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you being squidish, squid like, squirting ink, or waving your non-covered tentacles about in a squidy fashion. Nor is he or his associates responsible for any citations as a result of you hanging with SoCo. Any attempt to coerce, blame, question, or pin your loser-riffic behavior on any of us, or those who are considered us for the night, as well as people we like, to include Salma Hayek and Nicky Hayden, among others, will result in a profanity stricken series of post that mock and taunt you incessantly, as well as many of us adding such insults to our signature lines. Avoid taking SoCo before bedtime. Do not use if you experience faintness, dizziness, inverness, difficulty urinating or blotchy skin. If I steal a line, quote, avatar or image from a post you make on the internet, you're not getting credit.*

Quote Originally Posted by Clovis View Post
    That's going to be an awesome trip! Bash do you have a general time frame in mind?

Perhaps this fall sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Barn~ View Post
    If I rented a saddle-bagged ZZR to do it, would that be considered cheating?

No, things down south move to a different beat, but the bike has to be in your name though to get the permiso to enter. I highly doubt the rental company would allow it to go into Mexico.

Quote Originally Posted by Bashed View Post
    No, things down south move to a different beat, but the bike has to be in your name though to get the permiso to enter. I highly doubt the rental company would allow it to go into Mexico.
    In that case, I may have to start looking for something on the cheap. Not trying to wimp-out on going full supersport for that long or that far, just would need something suitable for a passenger methinks.
    ~Brandon~
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Strong possibility I'll be able to go.

For everyone else, if you have a lien on your bike you'll want to make sure your lender will allow you to take the bike into Mexico

Perhaps this fall sometime.

Last edited by Clovis; Tue Feb 7th, 2012 at 10:15 PM.

Local jerk Yearly Supporter

Between 6-10 hours per day, 200-400 miles, depending on the day and feel. When I travel in Mexico, I have learned that time fluctuates and if one stays flexible, it makes the trip alot more enjoyable.
    Seems like a comfortable amount of time and mileage on a bike I will keep an eye on this thread if I can save the funding I may be In for this, I have never had the desire to go to Mexico just to go to a stupid resort and get piss poor drunk would be nice to explore what Mexico is really about.

Strong possibility I'll be able to go.

For everyone else, if you have a lien on your bike you'll want to make sure your lender will allow you to take the bike into New Mexico
    What if the route doesn't go through New Mexico on the way there?

~Brandon~
    (720) 935-6438
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Cool man, hell of a trip for sure as canyon roads out in our countries are a whole different deal... but due to my job hours and low income won't be making it. If my financial and job situation changes I'd be down
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR
    2024 Aprilia Tuono Factory Ultra Gold

Fixed. Nice catch.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Barn~ View Post
    What if the route doesn't go through New Mexico on the way there?

Sweet idea, Bash! I would be in, but it would be too tempting to want to hit some non-paved roads. Can't wait to see the ride report.

Going to keep and eye on this one to see how it pans out.

If I am still enjoying retired life, I would be willing to run to the border if someone is riding from here and not trailering to the crossing. I have no desire to cross south though and would explore stateside at that point.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Sweet idea, Bash! I would be in, but it would be too tempting to want to hit some non-paved roads. Can't wait to see the ride report.
    The last four times I went south this is exactly what I did. The ADVStrom I built was for that purpose, to explore the back routes few travel, exect the locals of course. I found it funny when asking directions in the most remote locations, that the locals don't know the town two or three over from them. Reason being they dont travel, except to the big cities. Also the maps availible may have a different name for a town for each map, very strange. One then has to make an educated guess from info from the locals, the maps, and your gut. Most times it has worked out and gotten me to where I was going, but a few times I have had to return and follow a different path. This is the kind of traveling I prefer down there. If the road goes dirt is no problem on that bike. There is a new road out of one town to another in Copper Canyon. It goes from 2500ft to 7500ft and back down again to the other town, all dirt and very steep. Not really sportbike territory.
    This ride will be all pavment, no wondering where the roads will take us.
    There might be sections being repaired and will detour onto dirt, but this will be random and not the norm. Also in Mexico, the is usually no hard shoulder to pull off the roadway, and it is usually not a smooth transition. Overall though the roads are in fantastic condition, and it will be easy to get carried away and get into trouble. One important thing about riding in Mexico is this, the level of medical care is iffy at best. One will have to show unusual restraint to keep the pace well withing ones limit due to the higher than normal risks. From no shoulder to escape, to livestock, semi trucks, to junk vehicles doing 5 mph in a 50. I have seen a frame and wheels being pulled by a donkey down the freeway with the whole family aboard. Crazy!
    The route 16 from Hermosillo to Chihuahua is only 400 miles, but the map suggests 16 hours to travel due to the 2/3 gear turns for 200 miles. That is some twisties. So is the other routes I have planned for this ride, very curvy. The Espinosa del Diablo will be included. This is currantly #1 on my personal list of favorite roads ridden. 1/2 gear turns for 50 miles with zero room for error, and extreemly satisfying.

i would be down, ive ridden quite a few long trips and one 1,000 mile day, the busa is actually pretty nice for the long haul with some bags on it. im down to go, ive been in mexico quite a bit and know enough spanish to get around. depending on when you plan on going since i will be deploying soon.
    -Eugene-

2007 black hayabusa touring beast
    2003 KTM 525sx/exc hybrid
    2002 black and blue hayabusa- (SOLD)
    2000 ZX7R STREETFIGHTER-(SOLD)

Quote Originally Posted by grim View Post
    I have never had the desire to go to Mexico just to go to a stupid resort and get piss poor drunk would be nice to explore what Mexico is really about.
    +1.

Im interested. Concerned about all the Cartel stuff but the trip sounds very interesting. I'll keep an eye on this thread and see how plans develop.
    Its not how fast you go, its how little you slow down.

agreed, my best times have been when im off the beaten tourist path, best food, good times and cheaper.
    -Eugene-

2007 black hayabusa touring beast
    2003 KTM 525sx/exc hybrid
    2002 black and blue hayabusa- (SOLD)
    2000 ZX7R STREETFIGHTER-(SOLD)

I found a website for Mexican insurance quotes (multiple quotes).

http://www.mexadventure.com/

Liability on my bike is $40 for 10 days.

I found a website for Mexican insurance quotes (multiple quotes).

http://www.mexadventure.com/

Liability on my bike is $40 for 10 days.
    They are the outfit I used last year. If you dont have insurance and get into a wreck, they take you to jail till it get figured out. If you are found at fault, you stay in jail till you pay to make it right. Well worth it to stay out of a Mexican jail.

A little bit more info on travel in Mexico. Clovis has touched on the Mexican Insurance, but there is more paperwork involved to travel there.
    Both you and your vehicle needs permits to go farther than 20 or so miles into Mexico. Up to that distance is like a free trade zone and where 90% or border crossers do thier business, whatever that is. The permit for your person is the Tourist Visa and costs about $20 usd.
    Her is a site with some info...
    http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p...s/cis_970.html
    The vehicle permit is a whole seperate deal and has new rules set forth in the last year. The Mexico Government requires a deposit now according to the year of manufactor, not the value. Crazy, I know. Here is the schedule for that fee.

Upon return you present your TVIP, temporary vehicle import permit, and an official comes out and inspects the vin # and prints out your receipt. If you paid the deposit in cash, you get back cash. If you paid on your CC, it gets refunded in a couple days. This process ensures that vehicles leave the country, thus not circumventing the import taxes.
    You must make sure you do this process when you leave. One, to get your $ returned, and two, you will not be able to ever re enter the country with that bike ever. They think that the bike never left the country. I always keep my reciept from the last trip in entering again with the same bike, just in case they screwed up and it didn't enter thier system properly.
    On another note, Mexico found a vin # mistake on my Colorado registration. They hade entered the vin # incorrectly when I titled the bike. They just did an inspection to verifiy the correct # upon enrty and entered that # on thier TVIP.
    You will need your passport,ID, and registration. Some people say you need your title, this is not true. If your bike has a lien on it and it says this on your registration, and the Adunda girl catches it, you will need a letter from the lienholder to go out of country, as it is really thier bike till you pay it off completely.
    Also, you will need to make sure your name on the registration matches your ID. My reg said Mike Bash, and my passport said Michael Bash. Due to my excellant charm and wit, I sweet talked the girl @ the desk into letting me in. Otherwise I would have been turned away. Check your paperwork and get these stuff matching, it will make your trip an adventure, not a bummer as your buddies wave to you goodby @ the border.

The most important info is this, @ the border there are people that want your $ and possesions. I keep a throw away wallet with a couple hundred pesos in it, about $20 usd. If I ever do get held up, they can have that one. I keep my other $ in a couple different locations on me and in my possesions. I like to keep both Peso's and Dollars, most places will take both, but if paid in dollars, you may not get a great exchange rate with that vender.
    Last time I exited Mexico by myself, I had lost my two locks for my hard bags by not locking them one time and they fell off the bike onroad. when I went into the Adunda to check out, I ziptied my bags closed so somebody wouldn't unlatch them while I was inside and steal my things. Not an ideal situation, but better than nothing. Watch your back expecially in the border towns, and don't flash money or other pricey objects. Once I get a couple hundred miles into country, I really feel very at ease and comfortable.
    People will go out of thier way to help you, not like here in the states. I was tryin to fix my broken drive chain on the side of the road, and it was getting dark. My riding buddy was freaking out and then this guy pulled up, got out of his car, and walked toward us.
    My buddy flipped out and was very nervous, due to it getting dark and we were in the middle of nowhere. I told him to chill, it would be OK to no avail. The guy approached, I'm down in the dirt, my buddy was backing away leaving me to deal with the guy, good or bad. Come to find out, he offered us his house to sleep @ his ranch up the road, as well as something to eat. Now that is hospitality that would never happen here in the good ol USA. A smile and a good attitude goes along way. A couple days later my riding buddy and I went our seperate ways, mostly due to him being a jerk like that.
    So, there is some info I wanted to share with you people, if you were considering riding in Mexico, with me or otherwise.
    Happy Travels.

I've had nothing but great experiences with Mexicans whether I was in a touristy local or down the Baja coast on a surf trip. I dream about moving there when I get old.
    Disclaimer: If I post a link, assume it's NSFW.
    Bike: 2009 FZ-1 "The Hematoma"

I rode down to Mexico a few years ago on the SV and it's exactly like Bash says. Be smart and friendly and you'll be fine.

If I had a dual sport I'd totally be down for a on/off road trip down that way again. But I do not.
    Photogallery * Google+ * Facebook! * STFU
    Quote Originally Posted by Suki View Post
    god bless thongs and low self esteem women.