Thread: VP Fuels Motorsport 103 Good deal or not?

Question VP Fuels Motorsport 103 Good deal or not?

I found a store in CoS that can supply me with Motorsport103 race fuel for $85.99 for 5 gallons. I'm just looking for whether this is a reasonable price compared to other shops you may know of.

Kyle

Re: VP Fuels Motorsport 103 Good deal or not?

Why don't you post questions like this on the MRA forum since you plan to race this bike with us and there are very few on the CSC that use or are familiar with VP and other race fuels.
    MS103 is a fuel for circle track cars. I'm not aware of anyone running in bikes but that doesn't mean it won't work. The price is comparable to other 5 gallon pails of race fuel. If they are a VP dealer, ask them if they can get you U4.4 or if your pockets are deep get MR12. Those some of the bike specific fuels from VP.
    Motorcycle Roadracing Association #29
    President

MSF
    Rider Coach

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Kyle,

If you really want to run race gas, you can buy it off the pump at HPR (Sunoco 260GT) for about $8 a gallon (about half what the VP stuff is selling for). The bike you've bought really doesn't need it and if you can find clear (ethanol free) unleaded fuel ($4 a gallon) that will be more than adequate.

It is really really easy to get every toy / trick etc as you get into racing. It is even easier to spend more money than you ever intended. Find ways to conserve a bit as you get in.

The average lifespan of a racer in the MRA is about 3 seasons. Most of the time the decision not to race comes after the rider has amassed a massive credit card debt in order to support the sport. You've already purchased an absolutly killer motorcycle. Find some ways to save money and guarantee that you're around in a few more years to continue racing it, $15 a gallon race fuel won't make you that much faster, but it can make your exit from the sport that much faster.

My .02

S

Sorry, should have thought about posting in the MRA forum. In regards to use, I admit I tend to go overboard. I'm not looking to compensate, just do things right by the machine. I want to make sure I avoid all ethanol fuels and the closets place is Pueblo outside of Denver. I wanted to be able to grab it locally... In terms of seasons, I will most likely be redeployed and/or PCS'd in 2013/2014. I can only hope they move me somewhere with a good program. Yeah, I'm pretty sure you guys think I'm quite the pretentious wannabe. I just get a little excited...

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Quote Originally Posted by TransNone13 View Post
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure you guys think I'm quite the pretentious wannabe. I just get a little excited...

Kyle,

Not at all, I've just been around long enough to have seen a lot of people come and go (and compared to some I'm a short timer in the MRA). I also know how easy it is to spend a PILE of money to try to go racing.

Race gas is one of those things that it's easy to save some money on. With our base altitude the added octane really isn't needed and even with the stock motor your KTM will make more than adequate horsepower to be VERY competitive.

One good thing about non-ethanol gas is that it has a much longer shelf life. You can stock up once a month and have plenty for both practice and racing.

I also understand that you're deployed and spend your free time dreaming of racing. It reminds me of the Lunesta ad "Do your RACING thoughts keep you awake at night?" (my answer is "yes").

I've been around a while, I've seen a lot of talented young racers come and go. I'm simply trying to set you up to have a long and super fun racing career based on what I've learned over the years.

see you soon!

S

Scers sidekick... PuhRobin Yearly Supporter Foolds's Avatar

Are you looking for the next race? If so Hit up scer with Sol performance and see if he has ability to get race fuels and he could just bring it down with him?

Quote Originally Posted by Foolds View Post
    Are you looking for the next race? If so Hit up scer with Sol performance and see if he has ability to get race fuels and he could just bring it down with him?
    I hope to be back by Round 3 or 4. Can't get out of here soon enough. Just need to avoid being blown up for 1 more month lol.

Scers sidekick... PuhRobin Yearly Supporter Foolds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TransNone13 View Post
    I hope to be back by Round 3 or 4. Can't get out of here soon enough. Just need to avoid being blown up for 1 more month lol.
    Shoot Scer a Pm.. Hes out at all the races and most of the practice days any how he's a hell of a stand up guy and im sure he would love to sell you some race fuel if he has access to it!

Well if anyone is following. I found C10 in the Springs for $65.99/5gal.