Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Good shop to take an Aprilia?

Re: Good shop to take an Aprilia

Personally I would have it serviced where I bought it, and I would buy it from Fay Myers. Nothing against Erico, I have just had more dealings with Fay Myers and driving from Boulder would be worth it in my eyes. Like I said, I used to work in the service department at Fay Myers and there are some brilliant mechanics there. I know a few years ago people were complaining about the service dept there, but they have worked hard to get good staff in there.
    It is what it is

Quote Originally Posted by Jmetz View Post
    While I'm not a big fan of Fay, to their credit when I was pricing some work on the Duc, they flat out told me they were not a good shop for Ducati service. I can respect that instead of just trying to get my money.
    Can I ask why not a fan? If it was something from a while ago, remember every shop changes staff and businesses are always evolving to meet their customer's needs. If a person upset you (not you personally, more in general) it doesn't represent what the shop thinks is right or normal.
    It is what it is

It was indeed some bad service dealings from many years ago. I am willing to give them another shot as I called them for a quote. And again I was impressed that the gentleman was straight forward enough to tell me they were not good for that. I do agree with you but often times it's easier said then done as those negative business experiences tend to be hard to get over.

Fair enough, I have had shitty service at Starbucks, but I still go there
    It is what it is

It was indeed some bad service dealings from many years ago. I am willing to give them another shot as I called them for a quote. And again I was impressed that the gentleman was straight forward enough to tell me they were not good for that. I do agree with you but often times it's easier said then done as those negative business experiences tend to be hard to get over.
    Was this a recent inquirty? And was it on an old Ducati? Or was it work outside the norm?

Fay has some of the best-trained Ducati techs in town, they spent tons of money to send their 2 best to Italy to the factory for weeks of training, including specialized training for the Desmo. There's probably not a better Ducati tech in the Denver metro area than the two they currently have.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

While thats true, I find that my tolerance/acceptance for shitty service decreases as the dollars being spent increase.

it's probably because he has a 10 year old Duc with a Desmoquattro motor, not a newer Testastretta
    Motorcycle Roadracing Association #29
    President

MSF
    Rider Coach

Quote Originally Posted by UglyDogRacing View Post
    it's probably because he has a 10 year old Duc with a Desmoquattro motor, not a newer Testastretta
    That's definitely part of it, can't even get factory support for bikes that old, and finding parts is nigh impossible.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Was this a recent inquirty? And was it on an old Ducati? Or was it work outside the norm?

Fay has some of the best-trained Ducati techs in town, they spent tons of money to send their 2 best to Italy to the factory for weeks of training, including specialized training for the Desmo. There's probably not a better Ducati tech in the Denver metro area than the two they currently have.
    Interesting. The inquiry was about 3 weeks ago. 02 748 12k service.

Josh did they tell you to take it to Mad Moto or BMS?
    Motorcycle Roadracing Association #29
    President

MSF
    Rider Coach

Yeah, Desmo...not fun or cheap to work on.

Ducati says it's +/-9 hours of labor for that service.

The 12k service is your a major one: cam belts, valve adjustment, shims (iirc?) bleed/drain/replace front and rear brake fluids, drain and replace clutch fluid, replace fork oil, replace engine oil and filter, clean pickup filter, replace fuel filter, clean air filter, plus whatever I'm forgetting.

Lots of labor, lots of parts, lots of time.

I'd guess it's a $1200+/- service tag total...

The Desmo shop bills were part of why Ducati revolutionized things for the Testastretta/Testastretta Evoluzione line of motors.

An 848 might be newer and cost more to buy, but it's definitely cheaper to maintain than the 748 is.

As UglyDog suggests, I'd try BMS, though the sticker shock will probably be about the same...
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by UglyDogRacing View Post
    Josh did they tell you to take it to Mad Moto or BMS?
    They did recommend BMS.

Ghost you are fairly on. I was quoted from $900 to $2200 by various shops.

a friend just sent me the link to this thread... thought i would clarify what we looked at and quoted on:
    I recall a guy called in the spring to have us look at an Aprillia he was looking at buying. We found a few things that needed attention, and prioritized what we thought should be done ASAP, if all work could not be budgeted at once.
    I don't recall all details (and i'm not sitting in front of the shop server to look them up), but i think the "valve job" was for adjustment! Clarkie is right; we could never do a motor/head top-end service on an Aprilia engine for a few hundred! Valve adjusts don't require pulling heads off!
    I have heard that Fay's has trained service techs and does good work on Aprillia.
    Another cust brought a Futura that had a weird prob that I thought was electronics. I couldn't pin-point the source in my diagnosis, and suggested he bring it back to Fay's. He did that, though the bike ran poorly since he got it back from Fay's after a previous service. Fay's found a bad spark coil and they worked it out with the cust. Everyone happy and he/we didn't spend a bunch of money replacing a black box that wouldn't have solved the problem.

We hear all kinds of rumor/hear-say/complaints and praise for dealers and other shops around town. I'm hear to say that NONE of this comes from us! We work with many dealers parts departments and sometimes service advise.
    One of the people on this thread said something to me many years ago that I find is true: "This is a big enough community that there is service and tuning work that several shops can stay busy. But, this community is small enough that we are ALL better off in working together to serve them."

We are plenty busy... just tryin' to keep up is the key!

Thanks,
    m

http://www.supertunemotorsports.com
    8427 W Colfax Ave
    Lakewood, CO 80215
    303-495-3290
    Full Service Maintenance & Tuning
    BritishGermanItalianJapaneseSnowmobiles & ATVs