Thread: Never give a journalist a geneology question

Never give a journalist a geneology question

I thought I'd share a little of some geneology that my aunt and I have been researching on our family tree. My second cousin was Steve Evans who used to do alot of drag car-race reporting in the 70's & 80's, if you remember SpeedTv before when it was cool. But, I also knew that I had an uncle that had raced cars, but I wasn't so sure of all that he had done. This uncle's history really came up when a friend, Tracy, who races drag bikes here, asked me if I remembered my uncle's name.

My aunt, being a journalist, dug deep and came up some really cool stories about my uncle. (Now I'm wondering if the love of motorsports is something that carries in your genes and explains why I became such a bike and car fan/Tomboy... LOL)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cal_Niday
    Cal Niday (April 29, 1914 Turlock, California – February 14, 1988 Lancaster, California) was an American racecar driver. He lost his leg in a motorcycle accident after high school, but it did not affect his race car driving career. Cal is also noted as the first racer to wear a modern style Bell helmet in the Indy 500. He was killed by a heart-attack after being thrown from a vintage open wheeler at Willow Springs raceway.
    World Championship career summary
    The Indianapolis 500 was part of the FIA World Championship from 1950 through 1960. Drivers competing at Indy during those years were credited with World Championship points and participation. Cal Niday participated in 3 World Championship races but scored no World Championship points.

One-Legged Race-Car Driver Killed in Exhibition
    February 18, 1988|DONNA DOWLING | Times Staff Writer
    A one-legged, 73-year-old Port Hueneme racing car driver has died after crashing in an exhibition race at the Willow Springs track in Rosamond.
    Cal Niday, who had been racing with one wooden leg since he was 17, was injured Sunday during a race of vintage sprint and midget cars when a driver lost control and spun into his 1960 midget car, causing it to flip and spin. He was taken to Antelope Valley Hospital Medical Center and pronounced dead two hours later.[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Siobhan/AppData/Local/Temp/image002.gif[/IMG]
    Niday, who had survived a near-fatal crash at the Indianapolis 500 in 1955, was well-known in the racing community. In 1986 and 1987, he was president of the Western Racing Assn., a group of 330 antique-car racing enthusiasts.
    "He would come out with one leg and compete with everyone and do so well," said Walt James, a friend of Niday's and a member of the association. "He really was a respected driver, always a top competitor. He would have never quit. He was always ready to go racing."
    Niday's wife, Elsie, witnessed her husband's last lap Sunday.
    "He was doing what he wanted to do," she said. "That was his life. He loved racing from the time that he was a little boy."
    Born in Turlock in the San Joaquin Valley, Niday developed a passion for speed early in life. He was known for his speed on the football field and was recruited to play for the University of Washington. In his spare time, Niday would race roadsters and motorcycles.
    In 1937, on a stint with a motorcycle daredevil group, Niday lost his leg when his bike slipped off a ramp and toppled onto him.
    For a year, Niday worked as a hairdresser in San Francisco before deciding to pursue midget-car racing. He began working in the pits for midget-car racer Duane Carter, preparing and cleaning race cars. Carter took Niday on barnstorming tours, and soon Niday captured a fragment of the race-car spotlight by setting midget-car time-trial records in the Southland.
    In 1940, in Gilmore Stadium, Niday was introduced to Elsie, who was brought up watching her brother, a midget-car driver, and traveling the racing circuits. In 1944, the Nidays had a son, Gil, who now lives in San Diego with his family.
    Niday went on to race in Australia, where he won the 1947 and 1948 Australian midget-car racing championship titles.
    When he returned to Los Angeles in 1947, he was heralded as "one of the top button-mashers in the business" by a Times sports columnist. But more formidable accomplishments were yet to come.
    In 1953, Niday took his first run at the Indianapolis 500 but finished 30th after encountering mechanical problems. His second year he drove unrelieved to 10th place. His qualifying time of 140 m.p.h. in 1955 vaulted him into the elite "140 Club," a group of the 500-miler's top racers who had surpassed the 140-m.p.h. mark during the international event.
    It was Niday's third ill-fated run at the 500, in 1955, that nearly cost him his life.
    "That last Indianapolis race was quite a day," Niday said in a Times article published a year after the race. "I had already seen Bill Yukovich crash to his death. I was zooming along in third position with 21 laps to go. I didn't dream I was next."
    Unconscious for 3 Weeks
    But Niday's front axle cracked, catapulting his car into a cement wall, then bouncing back into the infield in flames. His face, arms and leg were badly burned. His diaphragm and lung were punctured. His skull was fractured. He was unconscious for three weeks.
    "I couldn't help but get a kick out of the fact that while the rest of me was burned, the fire hardly licked at my wooden leg," Niday said. "It's as good as new."
    Despite his efforts to dismiss the accident, Niday spent four months hospitalized as the rest of his frail body recuperated. When he left the hospital, he weighed less than 100 pounds. But it did not take long for the avid racer to discover a new way to pursue his sports car passion.
    In 1957, Niday and his family moved to Hawaii, where he opened a high-performance sports car engine and muffler shop. For the next 13 years, he built and raced cars on the islands. In 1972, they moved to Port Hueneme to continue building and rebuilding racers for himself, friends and customers.
    'Always . . . Daredevils'
    Even in retirement, Niday was consumed with racing. He and his wife recently had planned to pack up their motor home, hitch up a trailer with a race car and traverse the country in search of car races.
    "We fall in love with people, not professions," said Lyla Parsons, widow of race car driver Johnnie Parsons and longtime friend of the Nidays. "There are always going to be daredevils. And there are always going to be people like Elsie and me who love them."
    Even after his fiery crash at the 1955 Indianapolis Motor Speedway, Niday refused to abandon the wheel.
    "That's the chance you take," he said after the accident. "I knew that when I went into this game. And I went into racing because I was determined to prove that a wooden leg is no handicap.
    "Now that I'm back on my feet, I'm giving a lot of thought to racing. I'd hate to give it up. Funny thing about this sport, you just hate to get away from it."

^That last line... no truer words to live by
    Last edited by sprtbkbabe; Wed May 18th, 2011 at 07:52 AM.
    "Every Crotch is a Rocket" HDAVE

'09 Suzuki SV650
    '07 Honda CBR 600RR
    '14 1875 watt Conair

MRA#522

Re: Never give a journalist a geneology question

I love this:

Quote Originally Posted by sprtbkbabe View Post
    "I couldn't help but get a kick out of the fact that while the rest of me was burned, the fire hardly licked at my wooden leg," Niday said. "It's as good as new."
    The man sure knew how to take things as they came.

Great Story!

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Hmmm, my dad was a race car driver before I came along but never talked about it much. Maybe there is a genetic component to this...

Your uncle reminds me of the NASCAR I knew as a kid. Non-media-savvy country boys who just loved to race, not this glitzy, Californicated thing we have now.
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Awesome story, I would be proud if I had an uncle like that.

I'm disappointed that I never got to meet him since he seemed like a tough old dude and alot of people still talk about him. I was always told to be careful "on that dirtbike" or I'd end up like my uncle. To me that just meant I'd end up legless or something.

Now if I do something stupid on the bike or car, I'll feel like a total wimp compared to his injuries

Yeah, it's got to be something in the genetics, Dirk
    "Every Crotch is a Rocket" HDAVE

'09 Suzuki SV650
    '07 Honda CBR 600RR
    '14 1875 watt Conair

MRA#522