Thread: Replaced my f4is fuel pressure reg, more problems..

Replaced my f4is fuel pressure reg, more problems..

Hey guys i replaced my 02 f4i's fuel pressure regulator about a week ago, they are notorious for going bad and causing the exact problems im experiencing right now.

Here are the symptoms:

bike doesnt auto choke on startup
    bike starts right up, but has slightly erratic idle
    bike bogs / produces little to no power below 3k
    bike bogs / has a really hard time revving over 6.5k

I cannot seem to figure out what the hell the problem is, she has fresh gas w/ seafoam, made sure my air filter was clean, 98% sure the gas lines are not pinching while the tank is down ( testing this in a few minutes, dont want to wake up the whole neighborhood )

Does anyone have any ideas? Id really like to catch the newb ride tomorrow but i dont trust my bike at all right now

Re: Replaced my f4is fuel pressure reg, more problems..

Does anyone have the appropriate equipment needed to test fuel pressure on these bikes?

Well i cant find a fuel pressure tester anywhere so it looks like shes going to faye.. tfog and aurora honda are backed up for weeks.

Damnit.

when was the last time the plugs were replaced?
    I have no idea what you're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleev View Post
    when was the last time the plugs were replaced?
    Less than 1k miles ago, they may have fouled up when the original fpr went bad and was dumping fuel though

Well just replaced the fuel pump and im still having problems, major hesitation in low rpms with the bike on the stand in neutral, after letting it warm up it now acts as if the rev limiter is at 10,000.

Will be pulling the plugs to make sure they are good tomorrow probably.. just looking for more ideas to check before i spend even more money and just let fay figure out what the fuck is wrong..

Not familiar with that particular bike, but assuming this is a fueling problem, have you been able to test the fuel pressure? And what about a fuel filter?

Quote Originally Posted by MattTLS View Post
    Not familiar with that particular bike, but assuming this is a fueling problem, have you been able to test the fuel pressure? And what about a fuel filter?
    Cant test fuel pressure without a honda specific tester, it should be fine as the pressure regulator, filter, and pump are all brand new.

Lol this damn bike...

Pulled the plugs and plugs 1 and 2 were pretty loose, upon pulling the plugs they were covered in carbon pretty bad, they looked good but all 4 were really caked in black carbon.

Bought some new ngk iridiums ( bike comes stock with iridiums, old plugs were cheap autoliters ) put them in and tightened em down a bit tighter, tried my hardest to make sure the coils clicked down on all the way and....

Still has problems, i think the low end hesitation is gone now but it still does not want to rev very high while sitting on the stand in neutral.

If no one else has ANY ideas i can check ( tired of playing the stupid buy parts and hope its fixed game ) ill be putting her back together and trying my luck getting her up to fay.

Thank god for forums and the ability to vent on them, DAMN THIS SITUATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Survivalism; Fri Jun 10th, 2011 at 04:18 PM.

That sucks, man...I was hoping we could go on a ride soon. Good luck, and let me know when you're back on the road.
    --Dave
    2013 Honda VFR 1200F
    2014 Honda VFR800-SOLD
    2007 Honda VFR800-SOLD

2004 Kawasaki KLX300R

Quote Originally Posted by DriverDave View Post
    That sucks, man...I was hoping we could go on a ride soon. Good luck, and let me know when you're back on the road.
    Thanks for the good luck man, i will definitely be throwing you a PM when i am finally back on the road.