Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buying used Legacy GT!

Re: Buying used Legacy GT!

Foolds for president! Sounds like he knows his shizit!

Compression test would tell you a lot about this car.

Quote Originally Posted by fasterlaster View Post
    If the synthetic got so thin then there is something in the recommended weight of the oil that is incorrect. Synthetic is much much better at keeping the correct viscosity than dyno oil. The dyno oil is multi-weighted only because of additives which break down over time and heat. Unless the oil was sent to a lab for testing and it proved to be a faulty batch I would suspect something else cause that problem.
    +1. Maybe a water leak? Thats what the word thin always makes me think when it comes to oil.
    Last edited by Ezzzzy1; Sat Jun 11th, 2011 at 07:39 AM.

Scers sidekick... PuhRobin Yearly Supporter Foolds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kbahus View Post
    Don't open source it, buy a Cobb Accessport and be done. You can switch maps, go back to stock easily, clear/check codes, and use it as a gauge pack. I highly recommend Shell Rotella 5W-40 synthetic or Motul 5W-40 only in the turbo boxer with 3-4k intervals. Oiling issues are the number one cause of dead Subaru engines followed by bad tunes. Also the turbo motors do NOT have common head gasket issues like all of the other n/a boxers. Enjoy the new ride!

why skip opensource? Log the Shit out of your tune no matter who your tuner is to be sure you have a safe tune.. If you got questions post your logs on legacygt and people will look them over. Accessport is going to be a wear tune due to being a off the shelf(conservative for every legacy GT tune) and may not always be best for your car! A tune for your car if well done will be for YOUR CAR and can be made how you want it.. Mine is a conservative tune that is made for MY car and pushs about a lb more boost then the Cobb did when I had it. Smother power band too and better idle.. I had to clean up the idle on my Cobb by increasing the idle RPM. Also we are a Mile High and Cobb's tunes are not made for that issue.

Scers sidekick... PuhRobin Yearly Supporter Foolds's Avatar

P.S. Open source cost about 1/3 of what a Accessport does and has more ability's to be a gage pod, logging, and error code reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Foolds View Post
    P.S. Open source cost about 1/3 of what a Accessport does and has more ability's to be a gage pod, logging, and error code reading.
    Accessport can be, and typically is, custom tuned by any local tuner. Off the shelf maps are Ok, not great. Instead of OS, get an AP and get a full tune.

It can also store multiple maps for multiple tunes and swap them on the fly. I can have my 91 octane, my e85, my 93 octane, my valet mode all loaded and ready to go as I need them--can't find e85? No problem, just swap to 91 and you're still good to go. Want to go back to stock? Swap it.

A good tuner can do nice things with Open Source, but in no way does it compare to the AP, and you can use the AP as an aux gauge for light diagnostics.

And, for tuning, go to The Boost Creep Ltd. and ask for Harvey.
    http://www.theboostcreepltd.com/
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

The average Joe does not have the knowledge or ability to use open source effectively, nor would I trust yahoo's from the lgt board to tune my maps. I personally don't trust any tuners except for one, and he works at AMS in Chicago now. If asked, Harvey is the only tuner in the Colorado area I would recommend to people.
    Last edited by kbahus; Sat Jun 11th, 2011 at 09:11 AM.