View Poll Results: When did you take your first MSF Course?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • Before I Ever Got On a Bike

37 46.84%
  • Within 180 Days of Getting on a Bike

19 24.05%
  • After the 1st Year of Riding

10 12.66%
  • Never Took One

13 16.46%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When Did You Take Your First MSF Course?

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter 64BonnieLass's Avatar

When Did You Take Your First MSF Course?

Based on a previous conversation about learning how to ride, and purchasing a first bike, please answer the following poll.

And if you have taken an MSF course, please share why you did so, or why you thought it was important to you.
    Last edited by 64BonnieLass; Sun May 22nd, 2011 at 09:09 PM.
    "Keep that "what if" thought in the back of your mind; it's the angel on your shoulder balancing the devil in your right hand."

"There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those."

2005 SV650S Street

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Re: When Did You Take Your First MSF Course?

Ahhh, I don't see a poll attached darlin'.

For me, it was in maybe '83 or '84, and I'm not sure it was an MSF course per se, but it was a course taught on the base that we had tl take so we could ride on the base. If it wasn't MSF, it was equivalent.
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

Never, did it the old fashioned way.

Voted "before the bike" but I mean before I got a STREET bike. I had dirt bikes all growing up and only took the MSF because I felt it was the easiest path to an MC endorsement.
    1998 VFR800 Interceptor - resurrected and custom tail http://vfrworld.com/forums/5th-gener...98-vfr800.html

1999 DR650SE

I voted before, but I did tool around on my dad's old shadow a few(<5) times(rural) before getting my own bike and taking the course. I made sure to take the course before I rode my own bike on the street.
    '16 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
    '12 Kawasaki Concours14 -
    Sold
    '08 Kawasaki Concours14 -
    Sold
    '05 Suzuki SV1000S - Sold
    '07 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 - Sold

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

I never took an MSF class.......but I DID stay at a Holiday Inn last night!
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

I took it prior to purchasing my bike only cause it was highly suggested by several people and I also wanted to make sure it was something I would feel
    Comfortable doing. Super happy I did.
    €~~~ Ramon Uribe ~~~€. 2011 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R (Current 2019)

-"CSC Community" Trailer - Is Available As Of (Stolen!!!!!!!) FML - @ My Home
    720-475-6984

Took MSF course immediately after failing the riding test at DMV , so approximately 45 days after purchasing bike.

I started riding bikes when I was 5 in the dirt. The minute I turned 16, I got my permit then endorsement and just rode with some of the best riders in the region. Never taking a formal course, I think the MSF courses are good but give "graduates" a false sense of all encompassing rider knowledge. Scary! I realize that I do not know everything and I am still wanting to learn more. I believe that is the key....never close yourself to learning. Just my opinion.
    aka Zane aka The Quiet One
    Silver & Black 2000 RSV Mille (Giada)
    ITALIAN RED 2002 VFR800 (Natasha) - sold

*** NO MATTER WHAT PEOPLE SAY, THERE IS SEX IN "THE PURPLE ROOM" ***

I learned to ride in 1984 in Los Angeles and took the BRC here in Denver in 2007

I had a hiatus from riding from 1992-2007

Rode my first bike for two years without an endorsment. Then shortly after purchasing my second bike it took one. Once I finished I thanked god I made it through those first two years.

i bought a bike when i was 16 for my first vehicle. In TX you have to take the course to get a license if you are under 18, so i bought the bike, took the course, then rode it, despite my voting for within 180 days.

06 DR650SE

Only here for the free Wi-Fi Site Admin Spiderman's Avatar

I'm taking my Basic Riders Course this coming weekend!
    Bob <------ Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you
         - 2002 Yamaha R1 (92K+ miles... bought new) ---------------------------------------->
         - 2015 Yamaha Bolt C-Spec (Cafe Racer)
         - 2004 Yamaha R6 (racebike)
         - 2006 Yamaha R1 (racebike)
    R.I.P. 502
    ~ Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out, it isn't the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    Never, did it the old fashioned way.
    Remember Yesterday. Plan For Tomorrow. Live For Today.

Current Stable:

'o5 SuzukiGSX-1oooR
    (Custom Street Fighter).
    'o6 Pitster Pro 50cc Pit Bike (125cc Big Bore Kit).

Never took the MSF course but started out riding dirt when I was about 8. 34 years later I finally decided to try out street riding so I went down and got my endorsement. Being on 2 wheels was second nature by then.

I'm sure the MSF course is great but nothing can replace experience and riding dirt is a great place to start for any rider.

// MRA #888 //
    Current Bikes: 2007 Triumph 675 (race) : 2009 Ducati 1198 : 2004 Yamaha YZ250F : 2011 Ducati 796 Monster (wifes)

Road dirt way before I took the MSF course, then shortly after taking it .. came across my bike :-)

Never have. In one sense I desire to take it, but in another I feel that I've educated myself pretty well (and continue to do so) by reading more experienced riders, and learning what I can from those I ride with. I'm extremely cautious by nature, so I've been super-conservative from day one.

One thing I wonder if the MSF would help me on is emergency braking. If so, then that alone could be worth it to me at this stage. But maybe I need to look more towards the Advanced course...I don't know. My brother took the BRC/MSF right after he got his bike, and while he was glad he did it, in retrospect he's said that it is quite basic (at least his was).

Being somewhat hypocritical, I'd say that anyone new to riding (or has been out of it for a lengthy period of time) should take the course.
    2016 Hyundai Veloster
    2007 SV650...NAKED!
    2007 MINI Cooper (sayonara, you piece of garbage)
    2002 Acura TL Type-S (Sold)
    2003 Triumph Speed Triple...NAKED! (DECEASED)
    2000 Suzuki SV650...NAKED! (DECEASED)
    2004 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Sold)
    ~Kyle

Quote Originally Posted by Graphite675 View Post
    Never took the MSF course but started out riding dirt when I was about 8. 34 years later I finally decided to try out street riding so I went down and got my endorsement. Being on 2 wheels was second nature by then.

I'm sure the MSF course is great but nothing can replace experience and riding dirt is a great place to start for any rider.

Totally agree on that last part!

started out on dirt at 5...worked my way up through various 50's and an 80 and was racing hare scrambles on a KTM 250 at 13...

I got a streetbike at 19 and took the MSF course after I had my permit for a the minimum time req'd. NJ offered the course for free, and I took it because it excempted me from the DMV road test. to be honest, I found idling around a parking lot on a GN 125 to be quite pointless

Never did. Although I wish I would have. It miht have made me feel more comfortable on the bike, sooner. I did take the ARC Total Control. And now, I have total control, which is nice.

I rode dirtbikes before, then when I decided I wanted to go street, I took the course. I highly recommend it. I thought the most important part of the course was the discussion of all the potential hazards facing a rider on a road. Much better to learn about the potential for a rider-cager accident in a course than from experience.
    -Ryan

Required by military to ride on base, so borrowed a bike, took the class, then shopped for my first street bike. No dirt bike experience.
    The closest thing to immortality on this earth is a Federal government program - RR

I rode couple street bikes before hand but nothing crazy. Got it done because I thought it would be helpful to ride safer, cheaper insurance and when I bought my first bike I got a full refund for the class from Suzuki so win/win for moi!
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

I took my first MSF class at my first duty station so I could ride on base. By then, I had been riding for about 13 years and still managed to walk away with some very good information. Subsequently, I became an MSF Rider Coach in 2002 and have been teaching the classes (and others) since then. This past weekend I took the Total Control Levels 1 & 2 and had a great time.

I very much encourage riders to continue their education about riding and motorcycles. Your cup of knowledge can never be too full! The worse thing that can happen is that you might accidentally pick up a new skill set or put some understanding behind all of the things that you are already doing . . .
    www.onthemarcphotography.com