Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Cycle World Ninja 1000 Blog Winner!

Account Deactivated at users request Yearly Supporter

Re: Cycle World Ninja 1000 Blog Winner!

Hi all, I thought I'd post this here since most of you probably can't see my FB page. I'll be writing a blog entry for the Cycle World/Kawasaki site later but wanted to fill you in.

What an amazing day! I went to Grand Prix Motorsports in Littleton to pick up the Ninja 1000. I got an all-black one, which is the one I would choose for myself. No pictures yet, but I'll get plenty for you. Plus Cycle World sent me a ContourGPS video camera to use for the 3 months so I'll get some video action as well.

Oh man, I still have goosebumps and can't believe what a great day this has been. I picked up the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 and met AMA God Steve Rapp. He is such a super amazingly cool guy.

We went on a ride together and I took him to Deer Creek Canyon! Me, Mr. Nobody, is riding with Steve Rapp through Deer Creek. Please don't wake me up from this dream yet. We even came up on a herd of sheep in the middle of a blind corner, so he got a nice taste of real Colorado canyons.

He was loving the ride and said he'd like to come back out here and do some more canyon riding. Normally when he does a meet & greet he just gets to drive a rental car to and from the airport. I told him he can have his choice of machines in my garage if he comes out! Can you imagine if that comes to pass? Holy macaroni, I'm on cloud 9. When we came back from the ride we were sitting there talking like old friends about bikes. If it wasn't for the fact that he won Daytona and could lose me like coins in a sofa within seconds in the canyons...I'd almost think he was like a normal person! He'll be racing at Miller this weekend so...GOOD LUCK STEVE! I hope you kick some butt out there!

The stock suspension settings are way too soft for my frame so I'll have to tighten them up before this weekend's riding. I'll have to get over the euphoria of riding around with Steve before getting any initial thoughts of the bike together but there's plenty of time for that.

What a killer day!

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

What an awesome day! Good on ya Gary!
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

What a cool opportunity!

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarX View Post
    ... Me, Mr. Nobody...
    Whatever, Gary. (...but didja get an autograph? )

This is awesome. I can't wait to hear/read more about your experience with this thing and the people you get to meet! Do you get to keep the GPS vidcam after the 3 months with the bike?
    Last edited by aerofaze; Wed May 25th, 2011 at 04:00 PM.
    '09 Duc Monster 696
    '00 Suz SV650 (Dad's, garaged with mine)
    I like mountains because they make me feel small.

Sweet man! Keep us updated! And pics when you pick it up!!
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Congrats! Enjoy the ride! Glad you were able to give him a taste of the canyons we get to enjoy! Can't wait to see the pics et all! Go you!

Quote Originally Posted by aerofaze View Post
    Whatever, Gary. (...but didja get an autograph? )

This is awesome. I can't wait to hear/read more about your experience with this thing and the people you get to meet! Do you get to keep the GPS vidcam after the 3 months with the bike?
    Thanks Sarah, if today is any indication it's going to be a really fun 3 months. I WISH I could keep this camera after it's all over, but I have to give it back. It looks like an amazing piece of gear. Maybe they'll let me buy it at a good price instead. It's this one:

http://contour.com/camera/contour_gps

Thanks Sarah, if today is any indication it's going to be a really fun 3 months. I WISH I could keep this camera after it's all over, but I have to give it back. It looks like an amazing piece of gear. Maybe they'll let me buy it at a good price instead. It's this one:

http://contour.com/camera/contour_gps
    I have a slightly older version of that camera. That's where all my youtube vids came from. But, if I were buying a new one today, I would get the gopro. Contour started out as the better camera, but they have been passed by gopro, I think.

Congrats again, you lucky bastich.
    --Dave
    2013 Honda VFR 1200F
    2014 Honda VFR800-SOLD
    2007 Honda VFR800-SOLD

2004 Kawasaki KLX300R

Awesome. Glad the weather cooperated as well for you guys. Did you meet the other guy from here (CO) that got the bike?
    '16 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
    '12 Kawasaki Concours14 -
    Sold
    '08 Kawasaki Concours14 -
    Sold
    '05 Suzuki SV1000S - Sold
    '07 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 - Sold

I'm in my writing class now and mentioned this awesome experience you get to have to my prof. His question is how often do you have to blog and do you have a link to the page yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Wrider View Post
    You summabeech!
    I still stand by this. But that is awesome man, you'll definitely have to keep us updated on this bike for sure. I've been a big fan of the FZ1 since I first learned about it (as well as the FZ6 and the Z1000 and the Z750 and all of those) so I'm very curious as to how it compares to 1. A full on ZX-10 and 2. Other bikes more "in it's class."

Don't forget the new FZ8, and Street/Speed Triple. I got the wants for the R model Triple.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Quote Originally Posted by BC14 View Post
    Awesome. Glad the weather cooperated as well for you guys. Did you meet the other guy from here (CO) that got the bike?
    No, I figured I had a great time with Steve so I'd let Aaron (the other guy) have his day in the sun. They didn't need me there and I had to get some work done. Hopefully he and I will ride together a few times for pics and videos.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptGoodvibes View Post
    I'm in my writing class now and mentioned this awesome experience you get to have to my prof. His question is how often do you have to blog and do you have a link to the page yet?
    Sorry for not answering this sooner. I just got back from seeing Warren Haynes at the Ogden. Effin' great show...
    There are really no rules on the blogging. I guess they just hope you'll blog as often as you can. I still feel like I owe them one for today so that's next on my to-do list.

Here's their Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cycle...26217844119191

Quote Originally Posted by FZRguy View Post
    Don't forget the new FZ8, and Street/Speed Triple. I got the wants for the R model Triple.
    Interesting comment. I thought the Ninja 1000 would compare more to my VFR but while riding it I was actually thinking it felt more like my Speed Triple. I think this is mostly due to the "sit up and beg" riding position which reminded me more of the Triumph than the Honda. Also, although the bike is well-composed in the corners it does move around more than the Honda. This is another trait that reminds me of the Triumph. I think the cause for the Kawi might be that the suspension is just way too soft for me as it sits. I'm going to tighten it up at both ends and see if that settles it down through the corners. The bike is surprisingly light-feeling and flickable, again like the Triumph.

My first video ever! Lovin' the Kawasaki...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-vfMRpWsZg

That's awesome! Keep it coming!
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    That's awesome! Keep it coming!
    Thanks Ghost! I've got 4 more videos from that ride (Deckers, back and forth from Bishops, etc.) but I need to learn how to edit better. I'll get those done asap. The rest of the videos will have more twisties.

Senior Member Yearly Supporter Tylar's Avatar

Good music, Gary. Definitely enjoyed watching the vid.
    -Tylar

2009: 2009 GSXR 600 *wifey's*
    2010: 2008 YZF-R1

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

Of course there's always www.chicanetrackdays.com on June 26th if you want to have some good clean fun on the thing. Does the deal include a set of race rubber?
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Great vid! Only suggestion I have is to level the camera before setting out. Maybe put the bike on a stand and make sure the horizon is square?

Keep'em coming!

again like the Triumph.

you should ride mine at some point...a bit old, but pretty much the same as the new 1050 Sprints aside from some minor ergo changes

once it has 2 wheels on it of course

Quote Originally Posted by OUTLAWD View Post
    you should ride mine at some point...a bit old, but pretty much the same as the new 1050 Sprints aside from some minor ergo changes

once it has 2 wheels on it of course
    I'm not deterred by your near mishap in my 848evo lust...

Gold Member Yearly Supporter mtnairlover's Avatar

Nicely done, Gary. And I was regretting not having the chance to get any scenery shots. Ha! That camera did a pretty good job of capturing the day.
    ...ready to take on the world...one canyon at a time...

Check out my WordPress blog -- Exploring Colorado’s 25 Scenic and Historic Byways: A two-year tour by sport bike, auto and 4×4 @ mtnairloversview

Like my Facebook page @ Colorado Scenic Byways Tours to learn more about the byways

Quote Originally Posted by Tylar View Post
    Good music, Gary. Definitely enjoyed watching the vid.
    Thanks Tylar! I was in a band with two of the guys in Chainsaw so I go see them all the time. I wish I had their new album so I could use some of the new stuff. More vids coming...

Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe View Post
    Of course there's always www.chicanetrackdays.com on June 26th if you want to have some good clean fun on the thing. Does the deal include a set of race rubber?
    As soon as 303 tells me those lazy Italian bastids have shipped my new leathers I'll be signing up for Chicane and STAR School. The Ninja should be a lot of fun there. I've never been on HPR so I'm really looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptGoodvibes View Post
    Great vid! Only suggestion I have is to level the camera before setting out. Maybe put the bike on a stand and make sure the horizon is square?

Keep'em coming!
    Yo Capt, it looks pretty level to me. I did it in the garage before riding with the camera. You do realize bikes lean...don't you?

Quote Originally Posted by mtnairlover View Post
    Nicely done, Gary. And I was regretting not having the chance to get any scenery shots. Ha! That camera did a pretty good job of capturing the day.
    Thanks Cathy, lots more footage coming. I thought my software would allow me to edit sections out but I may be out of luck there. Got to do more homework and get them posted.

Thanks for putting the effort in Gary. I'll have my GoPro this weekend for our trip, so I'll make sure to get some good vid of you, as well as the others in the group. I have a feeling I'll be changing positions often as we ride to get good shots. I have the LCD screen(finally) so I can do adjustments on the fly
    '16 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
    '12 Kawasaki Concours14 -
    Sold
    '08 Kawasaki Concours14 -
    Sold
    '05 Suzuki SV1000S - Sold
    '07 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 - Sold