Thread: AFR Sensor Positioning

AFR Sensor Positioning

It appears I might need to have a bung moved/added to a Ti system after the collector pipe. Any recommendations for shops?

Reason being, the exhaust is on a v-twin and has a bung after each cylinder, but the AFR module appears to only have the ability to monitor one sensor. Would it be ill-advised to position the sensor after a single cylinder and just run with that?
    Last edited by TransNone13; Mon May 23rd, 2011 at 09:34 PM.

Re: AFR Sensor Positioning

You could run with just one and you probably should place that after the collector.

On the other hand...be VERY wary who you let try and ruin your Ti system. If they don't do lots of/production scale Ti welding I wouldn't let them touch it. Maybe look to some local bicycle frame builders with reputations?

Thanks, I thought about it some more and kept googling. I think the pulses and lapses in flow will give me an incorrect AFR reading. I think I need a good referral.
    Last edited by TransNone13; Mon May 23rd, 2011 at 10:03 PM.

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Quote Originally Posted by brennahm View Post
    You could run with just one and you probably should place that after the collector.

On the other hand...be VERY wary who you let try and ruin your Ti system. If they don't do lots of/production scale Ti welding I wouldn't let them touch it. Maybe look to some local bicycle frame builders with reputations?
    Well, Moots in Steamboat builds road and mtn bicycles strictly out of Ti, so maybe they could help or direct you to someone. If you're going to run only one sensor, you could get by with one on a single sensor if it's a fuel-injected bike as the cylinders are a lot more evenly matched than on a carb'd bike, but it's best to run one downstream of the collector if you can.
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

It is, it's an RC8R. I'm looking for a weld shop ATT, I want to do it right.

Give Todd or Brian a call at daVinci Designs. They build custom bike frames in Ti, and do excellent work. They are in Denver.

http://www.davincitandems.com/
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Thanks, sending them an email now.
    Last edited by TransNone13; Mon May 23rd, 2011 at 10:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FZRguy View Post
    Give Todd or Brian a call at daVinci Designs. They build custom bike frames in Ti, and do excellent work. They are in Denver.

http://www.davincitandems.com/
    Thanks for posting the link John, I'm actually interested in perhaps having someone custom make me a mountain bike of my own design some time in the future, and Ti would be my material of choice.
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

Well in the interim, it looks like it SHOULD be ok on just one cylinder. I imagine a modern motorcycle is synced fairly well. That and there are only two cylinders, limiting the chances they are that out of sync. I can always check out each cylinder to verify this.
    Last edited by TransNone13; Mon May 23rd, 2011 at 10:57 PM.

They do carbon fiber frames too. I like to drop by just to drool over the killer shop and stuff they do.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Quote Originally Posted by FZRguy View Post
    They do carbon fiber frames too. I like to drop by just to drool over the killer shop and stuff they do.
    C/F is neat stuff, but I've heard too many bad things about it after a crash. Metal bends, and there's some warning, C/F just shatters. I want Ti, so it'll be nice to talk to them. I have a unique rear suspension design I want to try, and I'm interested if they'd be willing to make it, or, better yet, partner with me on it.

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

They can make anything, but it won't be inexpensive. They recently moved and I haven't been by yet to check it out. They have CNC and prob even a water jet by now.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Quote Originally Posted by TransNone13 View Post
    Well in the interim, it looks like it SHOULD be ok on just one cylinder. I imagine a modern motorcycle is synced fairly well. That and there are only two cylinders, limiting the chances they are that out of sync. I can always check out each cylinder to verify this.
    Out of curiosity which tuner are you planning on running?

You could always give Epic a call, Eddie up there put the first PC-V on an Aprilia SXV (V-twin) and if I remember correctly he only used the one wide band. I believe he put it after the collector. Anyway, might be a resource for you.

Also, make sure you have them put the bung where the sensor is both protected and not uninstallable/servicable due to clearance

I'm using a Bazzaz. I can get a Ti bung for 50$. I'll check them out too.v

......and I'm not even going to make a wise crack about you needing to have your "bunghole" relocated........
    Last edited by CYCLE_MONKEY; Tue May 24th, 2011 at 02:01 PM.

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

Lol, yeah yeah... someone already got me on the MRA forum.