Thread: DMV Title Question

DMV Title Question

Hey,

Having an issue with titling my bike. The title says on the front that the bike is marked "not actual mileage" but this is not true. How does my seller go back and try and correct that so that I can title the bike as actual mileage (how it should be)?

Thanks

Re: DMV Title Question

I'm not sure if the DMV with accept the title if you/seller correct the error and initial it. If not, the seller is going to have to apply for another title...I would call the DMV and check though

Yep seems like a hassle...all I can say is good luck.

I see a problem here, if it is printed on the front "not actual mileage" then that was the statement made by the PREVIOUS owner, not the present owner selling it. Only a DMV person can say for sure but I dont think that would be changeable

Why would you need to go about getting this changed? It shouldn't matter when titling the vehicle or selling it
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

I believe the not actual mileage means that the odometer was changed out or rolled back, or it had an engine swap.

If none of these are the case, and it was an accident, I would have the seller get a new title for you. If you decide to sell it, buyers would be cautious in buying something with that checked on the title and it actually lowers the value of the car/bike.

Plus there are few laws that come in to play if that box is checked: here's the link

hope this helps

yeah.. im sure this is going to be a bad few next days..

Quote Originally Posted by MetaLord 9 View Post
    Why would you need to go about getting this changed? It shouldn't matter when titling the vehicle or selling it

Why do you need the actual mileage? The DMV doesn't care and it shouldn't prevent you from getting a title.

Even if you are out of state, depending on the DMV office, you will either get the new mileage on the title, or it will also state "not actual".

If you're really concerned about it, I'd check back and find out why the box for "not actual mileage" was checked. If it's a new odo, if it's a new engine, even new gearing would be a reason for someone to check that without knowing it would do any harm. As long as you can explain it to a buyer, that's all you need to worry about.
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

I don't see the big deal, the DMV screws up from time to time and so do sellers and buyers and that box might of got check at some point. My XR650R's title says 2,000 miles but has an N. However my bike was a dirt bike plated for the street.

I don't know, if I recall right the lady asked me what the mileage is...being honest I explained and thats why she put down 2,000 with an 'N'. If I would have just said 2,000 then that be what she would mark. i recall saying I don't know and thus she also said if I did not know she needed to mark it with an N...my XRR was already titled and plated. So what if you go in and say, NO that is the actual mileage they might simply remove it. Maybe make you sign a paper saying it is and thats it.

I think its a lot of worry for nothing. Maybe this should have been brought up with the seller before you left with the bike/title in hand....LO