Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jeep trails this weekend?

Jeep trails this weekend?

I know there was a thread a few months back talking about heading up to the central city area but couldn't find it. I just thought I would post up and see if anyone was interested in hitting some offroad trails this weekend. I'd like to get the jeep up in the mountains. I wasn't thinking anything really crazy but at the same time I don't want to hit a dirt road. Not sure of where would be a nice place to go but I was thinking maybe the central city area.

Re: Jeep trails this weekend?

Here is what a couple buddies and I are planning on doing saturday:

So here is the plan for this weekend for those of us going wheeling! Meeting up at 8:30am at Tipsy's Liquor World off of Bowles and C470 (NE corner-cant miss it) - from there we will venture up to Kenosha Pass to do some exploring on un documented forest roads (not rated online yet) if the trails are closed with snow - we will travel back a bit to run Slaughter House Gulch.

follow 285 out to kenosha pass - it will list CO 58 twice - the trail head is on the north side of the road in between these two Co 58 roads. the trails go all over the place up in there.
    Casey D

Mind if I join you guys? I've only been up a few times in the Jeep so I'm still pretty new. I've got an 06 LJ with a 2 1/2 inch suspension lift and a 1 inch body lift on 33's. It's not locked and I don't have a winch.
    AJ

You can join for sure. Its going to be a small group so definitely come tag along. I have an 01 Sahara with 2" lift on 32's. I don't think anyone will be locked. We'll have enough tow straps to pull if anyone gets stuck. I bought my Jeep two months ago so I'm really new also. The guys we are going with are good and it should be a fun day. I'm just hoping its warm so I can rock the top off
    Casey D

if i can talk the wife into it i might roll with you guys if you dont mind. depending on what the cash flow looks like so i can put it towards gas. im running everything pretty much stock so im not up for anything hard either. lol.
    Rooster

OK that would be great The more the merrier.

We'll have another TJ with us that is totally stock also so it won't be anything your Jeep can't handle. It's going to be a new trail for all of us and if anything gets too crazy we'll just turn around and find somewhere else.
    Casey D

sounds good. if i go ill have a 9 and 2 year old girls. and my wife as well. but hopefully with the top off there attention will be occupied with the things around and the jeep rocking from side to side rather than whining about not getting out. lol
    Rooster

oh, ill also bring my gp and map book. just in case.
    Rooster

Sounds good. Yeah I'll have my GPS and map book also. Both my buddies are married and one guy has a son that will be riding along so your kids won't be the only ones there.

I'm hoping it will be top-off weather!
    Casey D

Dang it. I wish this weekend was free so I could go. Have fun!

it should be nice weather. there calling for clear skies in the 80's. but thats the springs though.
    Rooster

I brought all my shoes and all my glasses so I would have them

was up there a couple weeks ago and there was a TON of snow still...pretty sure they got hit pretty hard last week too w/ snow. I would love to go w/ you peeps but i would be on the quad.
    ~Travis~
    It's okay...I'm a Doctor.
    Originally Posted by Keyser Soze
    Everybody on CSC knows everything
    2003 GSX-R600 - Former Love
    2003 Kawasaki ZX6R - Former Love
    1999 Suzuki TL1000R - Former Love
    2004 DRZ400E - New Dirty
    2002 KFX 650 - Quad

Replacing the CV boot tomorrow and end links. However I'll probably be riding this weekend. Sounds fun, probably too hardcore for me at this point.

So I'm in for Saturday then. I have a little bit of expirence bit not much. Most of the time I end up going by myself which I know isn't the smartest thing to do. I have a friend that has some property near Como and he was up there last weekend and said it looks there still alot of snow up there. Guess I won't be forgetting the shovel for this trip.

FYI... I was just in Fairplay this AM, and drove over Kenosha. There is still plenty of snow at the higher elevations. And with the park service pushing out the opening of Trrail Ridge Road another week or so due to snowpack, I don't know how much actual dirt your tires will get to see.

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's off-road parade, but just thought I'd offer this info as a head's up. I was hoping to get in some good Red Cone rides myself early this summer - but I think the fun passes are at least a month out before the average 4x4 can tackle them.

Quote Originally Posted by JustSomeDude View Post
    FYI... I was just in Fairplay this AM, and drove over Kenosha. There is still plenty of snow at the higher elevations. And with the park service pushing out the opening of Trrail Ridge Road another week or so due to snowpack, I don't know how much actual dirt your tires will get to see.

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's off-road parade, but just thought I'd offer this info as a head's up. I was hoping to get in some good Red Cone rides myself early this summer - but I think the fun passes are at least a month out before the average 4x4 can tackle them.
    Thanks for the info. If the roads are not passable, our plan is to hit Slaughterhouse Gulch which is currently open. That will be the backup plan if we can't find enough trails on Kenosha.

As for everyone else, I'm brand new to wheeling and we are going with a couple other stock TJ's. The trails shouldn't be too difficult for anyone who wants to go. If one Jeep can't make it, we'll turn around and find somewhere else to go. I'll have a shovel and hilift on my rig, and I know we all have plenty of tow straps if someone gets in too deep.

It's going to be a great day
    Casey D

Quote Originally Posted by dragos13 View Post
    Thanks for the info. If the roads are not passable, our plan is to hit Slaughterhouse Gulch which is currently open. That will be the backup plan if we can't find enough trails on Kenosha.
    Don't know if this will help, but I'm researching riding in Buena Vista/Salida for this weekend and they say anything over 10,200 is still pretty snowy. Not sure how high your trails are? Above 10,000 is not passable for bikes, not sure about Jeeps. Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Don't know if this will help, but I'm researching riding in Buena Vista/Salida for this weekend and they say anything over 10,200 is still pretty snowy. Not sure how high your trails are? Above 10,000 is not passable for bikes, not sure about Jeeps. Have fun!
    Thanks man. I have never wheeled in the snow but the new tires I have (Wrangler Duratrac's) are suppose to be awesome so it will be a great test!
    Casey D

Can't hurt anything if we try. I have duratracs and didn't have any issues over the winter. Then again we didn't really get that much snow down here this past winter but I like them. I've been wanting to do Slaughterhouse so it's a win win in my book. Looking forward to going up on Saturday.

Yeah I think Slaughterhouse will be a great backup plan. Not sure if you know about the Trail Damage website but here is the link http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=2

There isn't much online about Kenosha Pass trails so it will be a good time exploring My buddy usually rocks a GoPro on his dash and does up a video after the day is over. Hopefully its nice and muddy up there!
    Casey D

http://bushducks.com/tripreps/passopen.htm

This is as realtime as I have found, you can look at previous years for average dates but there was a lot of snow this year.

Thanks for the site Bueller. I've been on traildamage and the other one I look at is 4x4trails.net. Traildamage is probably the best one I've seen so far. The news this morning said that Kenosha just opened today so I'm thinking it might be pretty fun. Mud is fun as long as it's not too deep.

Quote Originally Posted by age315 View Post
    Thanks for the site Bueller. I've been on traildamage and the other one I look at is 4x4trails.net. Traildamage is probably the best one I've seen so far. The news this morning said that Kenosha just opened today so I'm thinking it might be pretty fun. Mud is fun as long as it's not too deep.
    Oh yeah
    Casey D

So how did it turn out? I headed out yesterday to get out of the house. Man it was nuts out there. This is why I don't ride on Holiday's...not worth it.

Some pictures and my write up posted at advrider:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=692702