Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tire Suggestions? (Better than Q2s?)

Re: Tire Suggestions? (Better than Q2s?)

Quote Originally Posted by CaptGoodvibes View Post
    I rock the stock tires. When they wear out, I get a new bike.
    98 VFR 800 (Old faithful)
    06 Sprint ST 1050 (Sexual Chocolate)

Quote Originally Posted by OUTLAWD View Post
    not sure what specs you put in, but you can't expect the same confidence from street tires as race tires. but if you are saying that sports oriented street tires are holding you back on the street...something isn't adding up...

from the sounds of it you should be looking at Power Pures, Power Ones (street version), BT-003RS (street), or just straight up race DOTs (Michie, Conti, Dunlop, Pirelli, 'stones...any should suffice)
    Not saying they're holding me back, per se, just saying I don't like how they feel and that (to me) they feel like they're always cold and that in the "cold" of 40-60 degree days they don't give me a lot of confidence or the same level of communication that my old Michelin Pilot Power Races (Soft/Med-Soft) used to give me on both the track and the street.

I'm not trying to say I'm "better" than the tires, I'm just saying there's some sort of disconnect between me & them and I'm not really sure there's a "fix" to the problem.

I suppose I may be unconsciously biased because I'm not used to dual-compound and/or street tires. Basically ever since I tried my hand at (unsuccessful) racing in the mid 90s I've run the softest DOT-race tires I could find on both the track (days) and the street. From 2001-2006 most of my riding was track days (90%) since I was really burned out on street riding and tired of various group shenanigans and just wanted to hit the track, go home, then go hit the track and not worry about tickets, cops, animals, blind corners, debris, etc. etc. So, when I did ride on the street it was on whatever tire I'd taken to the track last and despite being cooked and heat cycled, etc., they usually worked just fine for the (lower) canyon pace I was riding--even in cool/cold weather (including the time we rode through snow/sleet).

But, as I'm far less aggressive now, I thought the Q2s would be ideal, however, I'm just not liking them--for whatever intangible reason.

So, I went back to looking for my "old" tires, but they're not in production anymore, so I'm trying to see what "new" tire fits the bill--of being the softest/stickiest/most cold-tolerant or quick-warming tire I can find to ride on the track and/or in the canyons.

Being out of the motorcycle shop for 2+ years, I'm out of the loop on what tires are what, or what one I really want.

As I understand it, the street version Power One is similar to that of the (Old) Power Race medium, but with "faster warm-up temps in low temperatures, and humid/wet conditions".

The 'Street' version is a 2CT tire that's considered 80% street and 20% track, while the 'Competition' version is 90% track and 10% street.

Sadly, neither of those extremes are ideal for me, as I'd probably really like a tire that's right about 60% Track/40% Street.

http://www.superbiketoystore.com/pow...ompetition.pdf
    http://www.superbiketoystore.com/power_one_street.pdf

The Power One 'A' is listed as the softest compound in the Competition series, and they claim they're better in Wet/Humid/Cold conditions and warm up quicker than the Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa SC0/1/2/3, and the (Old?) Power Race Soft & Medium Soft (which is what I used to run on the track and then in the canyons).

The Power One Street is listed as Medium Compound, comparable--but better--in Wet/Humid/Cold conditions than the Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa SP, and the (Old) Power Race medium.

So, it's seems like either of these *might* fit the bill, but I've never ridden on either. Going off of which is softer I'm leaning towards the Power One A, as I don't care about tread life and just want the stickiest thing I can find (especially in Wet/Humid/Cold where the Q2s and I don't seem to get along). But, I don't know that I'll ever get them up to temp on the street, and if that's the case, then they may be no better (possibly worse) than the Street compounds (despite the latter being 'Medium').

And, since they're listed as 'Competition' I assume they're available from race vendors only, and the only Power Ones you'll find online or in local shops are the Power One (Street).

Ultimately, this is why I loathe/hate/despise buying tires--they're the most critical element on your bike since they're the *only* thing connecting you to the road, and yet you're forced to buy them completely blind with no idea of how they actually ride or how well they suit your style and needs...which it why I'm asking for advice from those who know better than me...
    Last edited by Ghost; Mon May 30th, 2011 at 04:54 PM.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

I'm not so up on the michelins, but i definately understand where you are coming from...if you don't have confidence in your tires...you won't enjoy riding...at least I don't anyway.

I am running the BT-003RS and haven't had any issues getting them up to temp, and they are noticeably softer than regular street tires, but when I have run my Dunlop race DOT's on the street, they never slip once I'm going for a bit, but I know I am not getting them up to proper operating temp, so I'm always a bit gun shy.

I don't know what compounds the local Michelin racers run, but you might look into picking up a set of take-offs at first just to see how you like them before dropping the money on a new set.
    Last edited by OUTLAWD; Mon May 30th, 2011 at 04:59 PM.

I'm not so up on the michelins, but i definately understand where you are coming from...if you don't have confidence in your tires...you won't enjoy riding...at least I don't anyway.
    Yeah, and that's my major issue--lately I'm avoiding riding simply because I'm not loving the tires...

I am running the BT-003RS and haven't had any issues getting them up to temp, and they are noticeably softer than regular street tires, but when I have run my Dunlop race DOT's on the street, they never slip once I'm going for a bit, but I know I am not getting them up to proper operating temp, so I'm always a bit gun shy.
    Yeah, I had some (older) BTs, and I liked them a lot actually, so I am open to the 003RSes as well as the Michelins.

Again, I think a nice 50/50 Race/Street tire would be prefect--if it existed. I was gun shy on my Michelin DOT-races since I knew they were never up to track temps, but still they never gave me an issue...

I don't know what compounds the local Michelin racers run, but you might look into picking up a set of take-offs at first just to see how you like them before dropping the money on a new set.
    That's actually a good idea, I think at least one guy from my old shop runs Michelins, I'll swing by and see what he's running and if I can get a set of takeoffs...Or maybe I'll just bite the bullet and get the 003s or the Power Ones and get them on so I can get riding...hopefully with confidence...
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Scers sidekick... PuhRobin Yearly Supporter Foolds's Avatar

What about the Power pilot Pures? they are supposed to be a super aggressive street/track tire

Quote Originally Posted by Foolds View Post
    What about the Power pilot Pures? they are supposed to be a super aggressive street/track tire

I was thinking the Ones were "better" than the Pures? No?

EDIT:

Think this confirms that the Ones are the more aggressive/track-oriented tire (though, again, I probably want 50/50 not 15%/85% or 30%/70%)

Last edited by Ghost; Mon May 30th, 2011 at 05:19 PM.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Jim/TFOG hooked me up with a set of Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa SPs, haven't really pushed them yet, and haven't gotten to the track yet, but so far, so very good--I'm loving them.

They don't squirm like the Q2s, they have great feedback and the only 'negative' (which really isn't) is that the sidewalls feel very stiff over broken pavement/potholes.

I'll post the Q2s up for sale if my friend doesn't buy them, and I'll post up more impressions once I get these scrubbed in and then on the track...

But, so far, I'm happy...
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

If Q2s were squirmy they wouldn't be popular. Something was wrong with your bike or tire installation. Good luck on them Supercorasas.
    George Mock | 2008 ZX6R | GoPro Hero | 3:551 5806

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Quote Originally Posted by Vellos View Post
    If Q2s were squirmy they wouldn't be popular. Something was wrong with your bike or tire installation. Good luck on them Supercorasas.
    Different riders have different preferences. If the Q2's have a pretty triangulated profile, I might not like them either. I personally prefer the more rounded profiles of the M3's, and am more than willing to sacrifice a tiny bit of ultimate grip while cornering for a more even transition from straight up to full lean. Some people LIKE a tire that "falls into" corners more. I don't, and maybe he doesn't either and that's part of what he's feeling. Hopefully there is nothing wrong with his bike, and I can't imagine an "installation" issue being any sort of problem like he's describing.
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CYCLE_MONKEY View Post
    Different riders have different preferences. If the Q2's have a pretty triangulated profile, I might not like them either. I personally prefer the more rounded profiles of the M3's, and am more than willing to sacrifice a tiny bit of ultimate grip while cornering for a more even transition from straight up to full lean. Some people LIKE a tire that "falls into" corners more. I don't, and maybe he doesn't either and that's part of what he's feeling. Hopefully there is nothing wrong with his bike, and I can't imagine an "installation" issue being any sort of problem like he's describing.
    That's one of the things I LOVE about these tires. Effortless turn in. The Michelins made me feel like I had to work too much to get it to turn.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

Senior Member cptschlongenheimer's Avatar

^
    I only have experience on the OEM's and the Q2's but the way the bike falls right through the turn-in with the dunlops feels so much more natural than on the OEM's.
    89 EX500 RIP
    06 R6S RIP
    03 R6

Squirmy isn't a good quality in a tire, hence why I'd suggest that it isn't the tire itself.
    George Mock | 2008 ZX6R | GoPro Hero | 3:551 5806

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Quote Originally Posted by Vellos View Post
    Squirmy isn't a good quality in a tire, hence why I'd suggest that it isn't the tire itself.
    Every persons definition of "squirmy" is different. Is what's happening the chassis flexing? Is the tire carcass moving around too much relative to the contact patch? Does the contact patch have too much slip angle (sliding)? Or is it when you start to lean it "falls" into corners faster than you like/are used to and you're going thru a cycle of lean/unlead to try and get the trajectory you want? All of those could be construed as "squirmy", and some have nothing to do with the tires per se, but rider or chassis.

Me, I don't mind expending more effort (I'm heavy enough and strong enough for it not to be an issue) to get stable turn-in at all angles on the rounder profile. I feel funny when the bike "falls in" too much.
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

A lot of "tire" characteristic could also be bike geometry, tire age, air pressure, etc. Things that don't reflect that actual tire brand itself.
    Casey D

I just put a set of Q2's on my bike and i love them.
    06 CBR600RR
    7:319/0319

Y
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Jim/TFOG hooked me up with a set of Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa SPs, haven't really pushed them yet, and haven't gotten to the track yet, but so far, so very good--I'm loving them....
    That's what came stock on my bike and I love them about to order new set
    No tickets YET this year *Knock on wood*

07 Audi S4 DTM
    06 CBR 1000rr

Dont order 'em - we still have sets starting at $199.95 and mounting for $20 a wheel.
    Performance Cycle of Colorado
    1990 S Broadway
    Denver Co 80210 303-744-2011

Quote Originally Posted by dragos13 View Post
    A lot of "tire" characteristic could also be bike geometry, tire age, air pressure, etc. Things that don't reflect that actual tire brand itself.
    True, but here the geometry was unchanged from the OEMs to my brief run on the Q2s to the Supercorsa SPs, and only the Q2s ever exhibited issues.

Quote Originally Posted by AOK303 View Post
    Y

That's what came stock on my bike and I love them about to order new set
    I can see why they're OEM on the 675 and Ducatis, they're fantastic. Can't wait to get them on the track and see what they can really do.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson