Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tire Suggestions? (Better than Q2s?)

Question Tire Suggestions? (Better than Q2s?)

I've got about 300-600 miles on my Q2s (I can check my records at home, but I'm not there at the moment) and I absolutely hate them.

I know everyone loves them, I know they should be great tires, but I'm not enjoying them at all. Maybe mine were messed up in the factory, or in storage, or whatever else, but they and I do not get along.

I find them sluggish to warm up, I find them to be slippery in the "cold" of any 40-60 degree day, and I just don't find them to be "confidence inspiring" in the least. Maybe I just hate the dual-compound nature of the tire. I'm not sure what it is, really, but I almost preferred the OEM Qualifiers that came on my bike--at least they seemed more predictable--especially in the cold.

I usually run Michelins or Bridgestones, and I've run mostly DOT-race or the various "trackday" high-performance street compounds. While I prefer Michelins or Bridgestones, I'd run whatever suits the bike and my style best--so usually I'd ask the guys in the shop who were still racing what was the best pick of the moment.

But, since I'm not working at the dealership any more, I've lost touch with what's the "Best" tire on the market--and by that I mean the grippiest over a wide range of temperatures, with a quick warm-up and good adhesion at the limits with a predictable/smooth/controlled break-away when you go past the limits.

So, since I'm relatively out of the loop, and I don't trust the various magazine comparisons (since most of them voted for the Q2s), I'm looking for suggestions from people who ride moderately aggressively in the canyons as well as on the track. And who ride in the rain, possibly in the sleet, and of course, in the dry.

Bike: 2009 CBR 600RR
    Riding Style/Tire Use: Spirited canyon rides, track days

Suggestions:
    ???

Thanks!
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Scers sidekick... PuhRobin Yearly Supporter Foolds's Avatar

Re: Tire Suggestions? (Better than Q2s?)

Give the boys over at 303 a shout they can help you pick something out.. are you interested in selling the q2's? The Girls r6 needs tires before the track day

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    I've got about 300-600 miles on my Q2s (I can check my records at home, but I'm not there at the moment) and I absolutely hate them.

I know everyone loves them, I know they should be great tires, but I'm not enjoying them at all. Maybe mine were messed up in the factory, or in storage, or whatever else, but they and I do not get along.

I find them sluggish to warm up, I find them to be slippery in the "cold" of any 40-60 degree day, and I just don't find them to be "confidence inspiring" in the least. Maybe I just hate the dual-compound nature of the tire. I'm not sure what it is, really, but I almost preferred the OEM Qualifiers that came on my bike--at least they seemed more predictable--especially in the cold.

I usually run Michelins or Bridgestones, and I've run mostly DOT-race or the various "trackday" high-performance street compounds. While I prefer Michelins or Bridgestones, I'd run whatever suits the bike and my style best--so usually I'd ask the guys in the shop who were still racing what was the best pick of the moment.

But, since I'm not working at the dealership any more, I've lost touch with what's the "Best" tire on the market--and by that I mean the grippiest over a wide range of temperatures, with a quick warm-up and good adhesion at the limits with a predictable/smooth/controlled break-away when you go past the limits.

So, since I'm relatively out of the loop, and I don't trust the various magazine comparisons (since most of them voted for the Q2s), I'm looking for suggestions from people who ride moderately aggressively in the canyons as well as on the track. And who ride in the rain, possibly in the sleet, and of course, in the dry.

Bike: 2009 CBR 600RR
    Riding Style/Tire Use: Spirited canyon rides, track days

Suggestions: ???

Thanks!
    I have been running the Metzler M3's for many years, and they are very quick to warm up, and very trustworthy. I got a set for under $200 recently! Check the "tire Mileage" thread.
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Take this for what it's worth:

The Q2 is a perfectly capable tire. I think what you're experiencing is a set up problem more than a tire problem. I would ask the following questions before bailing on the Q2's and getting something else:

1) What tire did you come from?
    2) Did you make any suspension or geometry changes when switching tires?
    3) Are you sure that you're running the correct pressures?
    4) How many miles are on your bike?
    5) When the wheels were re-installed after the tire change what did you do to make sure that they were properly aligned?
    6) When was the last time the oil in your forks and shock was changed?

I give you this parable from my racing this weekend to illustrate my point about tire pressures:

I race a 1997 Ducati 748. This bike is almost world renowned for it's chassis stability. This is my 5th season racing this bike and in that time I've raced it on 5 different brands or styles of tires. Through all of that I would agree, this is one of the most stable racing platforms ever. Never in it's history has it developed headshake, until this weekend when exiting T2 at PPIR onto the back straight the thing developed a wicked case of it. Lap after lap, time after time in my first race the thing tried to shake me off.

After talking it through with a trusted friend we decided to take 2 PSI of air out of the front tire. Guess what? Problem went away.

Tire pressure is perhaps the most important adjustment you can make to your motorcycle.

End of parable.

Answer the questions above, it will get us pointed in the right direction. I suspect that the problem isn't the tires themselves.

s

The first thing I thought of was tire pressure. Check with Scer (Oscar) about what the correct pressures should be for your riding style.

ETA: Scer's recommendations are in this thread.
    http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forum...tire+pressures

34 front
    38 rear in the city
    35 rear in the canyons
    28-32 on the track
    Last edited by CaneZach; Wed May 25th, 2011 at 02:04 PM.

I rode a set of Q2's once on a friend's bike (same bike I have) and despised them. Experienced all the same qualities you described. Good luck.

Rybo,

Thanks for the help, let me go through the questions below.

Michelin Pilot Power (non-2CT DOT Race Soft Front/Rear)

No, I didn't, was going to at the next track day since I figured that'd be best way to set it properly and get the help I'd need setting it up.

I started at the factory settings, then since I've read various posts and talked to some of the guys at the shop, I've been lowering them.

I tried 33/35 and I'm currently at 30.5 Front/33.5 Rear and, as of last ride, I'll admit they're better than when they were at 36/36, but I'm still not loving them and I don't think I can go any lower...

Just over 1k

(this is the twin to my other 2009 CBR600RR that I got last year, but which was sold to me as new after the dealership'd already sold it once and it had a loan on the VIN--so after a lot of back and forth with Honda--since the dealership was out of business--they took that one back and I got this one instead).

5) When the wheels were re-installed after the tire change what did you do to make sure that they were properly aligned?
    Didn't, I assumed the guys at the shop did that

Bike's new, so it'd be the OEM fill

Give the boys over at 303 a shout they can help you pick something out.. are you interested in selling the q2's? The Girls r6 needs tires before the track day
    Depending on what Rybo thinks, if it's just irreconcilable differences and the tires and I simply are not getting along then I will definitely sell them.
    Last edited by Ghost; Wed May 25th, 2011 at 02:26 PM.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by brennahm View Post
    I rode a set of Q2's once on a friend's bike (same bike I have) and despised them. Experienced all the same qualities you described. Good luck.
    Yeah, my cousin in PA and my friend here have Q2s as well, and they've had similar experiences to mine...so I'm not sure what's up or why it's happening...other people completely *LOVE* the Q2s...so, I'm at a loss...
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

I started at the factory settings, then since I've read various posts and talked to some of the guys at the shop, I've been lowering them.

I tried 33/35 and I'm currently at 30.5 Front/33.5 Rear and, as of last ride, I'll admit they're better than when they were at 36/36, but I'm still not loving them and I don't think I can go any lower...
    Read my post about Scer's pressure recommendations.

Some tires just don't agree with some people. I liked the Pilot Powers and 2CT's, really liked the BT-016's, and now have the Q2's. I don't have a real sample of rides on the Q2's to say whether I like them or not, but I also haven't had any issues with them.

I've had people give me recommendations before and found them to be kinda not valuable...you have to consider the source.

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Quote Originally Posted by rybo View Post
    Take this for what it's worth:

The Q2 is a perfectly capable tire. I think what you're experiencing is a set up problem more than a tire problem. I would ask the following questions before bailing on the Q2's and getting something else:

I give you this parable from my racing this weekend to illustrate my point about tire pressures:

I race a 1997 Ducati 748. This bike is almost world renowned for it's chassis stability. This is my 5th season racing this bike and in that time I've raced it on 5 different brands or styles of tires. Through all of that I would agree, this is one of the most stable racing platforms ever. Never in it's history has it developed headshake, until this weekend when exiting T2 at PPIR onto the back straight the thing developed a wicked case of it. Lap after lap, time after time in my first race the thing tried to shake me off.

After talking it through with a trusted friend we decided to take 2 PSI of air out of the front tire. Guess what? Problem went away.

Tire pressure is perhaps the most important adjustment you can make to your motorcycle.

End of parable.

Answer the questions above, it will get us pointed in the right direction. I suspect that the problem isn't the tires themselves.

s
    All great advice as usual Rybo. I think there's a caveat though. If these tires are sensitive enough that a mere 2psi causes them to be an issue, then I'd certainly not want to run them on the street. I know the M3's probably don't grip as well under race conditions, but for the street, they're certainly more tire than I am rider, and I get by well enough I guess. I expect a street tire to warm up quickly, to be predictable (if not ultra-grippy) before and after getting up to temp, and best of all, forgiving. maybe that's what he's looking for as well as opposed to all-out grip in a narrow/perfect heat and pressure range?
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

Site Admin

Michelin Pilot Power (non-2CT DOT Race Soft Front/Rear)

Pilot Power or Power Race?
    The reason I ask is that these are two really different tires.

No, I didn't, was going to at the next track day since I figured that'd be best way to set it properly and get the help I'd need setting it up.

Especially if you were coming from the Power Race, you would almost HAVE to make a geometry change to the bike. The original Power Race tires were pretty pointy and the Q2 is pretty round by comparison.

I'm not an expert on Q2 pressures, I'll leave that to Oscar, but it sounds like you're trying the right things. Try reversing the ratio, making the front tire slightly harder than the rear tire.

Just over 1k

(this is the twin to my other 2009 CBR600RR that I got last year, but which was sold to me as new after the dealership'd already sold it once and it had a loan on the VIN--so after a lot of back and forth with Honda--since the dealership was out of business--they took that one back and I got this one instead).

Damn. That sounds like an adventure.

Check this for sure! There are several good guides on the internet for checking wheel alignment on the bike. The rear wheel even being a degree or two off can really make a big difference in how the bike handles and feels on the road.

Good to know.

Honda bikes are notoriously undersprung in the front, I'm not saying that this is your problem since you liked the bike with different tires, but the front of Honda Sportbikes tend to have way too light of springs in them for the average american male rider.

Hope this is helpful.

I would start by checking wheel alignment.

Quote Originally Posted by CaneZach View Post
    Read my post about Scer's pressure recommendations.

Some tires just don't agree with some people. I liked the Pilot Powers and 2CT's, really liked the BT-016's, and now have the Q2's. I don't have a real sample of rides on the Q2's to say whether I like them or not, but I also haven't had any issues with them.
    Yeah, I guess it was that post that started me on the path to messing with the pressures to begin with, I didn't realize it was Scer's until you linked to it.

Here's the section that's most applicable:

Quote Originally Posted by Scer View Post
    To put it simply.. yes, the Dunlops as a whole (including the Q2s) now are a different breed. (FYI, Q2's is the skinny hot supermodel daughter of the championship winning N-Tec UK GP race tires) Back on 04-ish, the AMA level Dunlop race team had released a type of tire called a New Technology (N-Tec) tire. These tires were different in many ways. 2 of them being the lower riding pressures (From 40 F to 33 F and 33 R to 23 R) and JLB manufacturing. JLB "basically" means that no matter how fast you spin that tire it won't grow in size. (To be totally honest, if it does grow it will be a matter of very very few millimeters).

This helps because if you have ever had a bike that was not quite right geometric wise, you might find that the bike will "waddle" as you ride faster. This was due to tire growth.

SO, giving a standard pressure of 34 is an all encompassing value. Basically the tire is so dynamic that 34PSI covers you for all the riding that you will do. The rear is more particular just because of the fact it's bigger and the power distribution tire.

Could I recommend you do 36 for street, 34 for canyon and 32 for track? ..sure. But it's not necessary. The Q2's are not that specific. (especially in the front where the change of values are only 6% where as inversely the range of values in the rear is 26%) The street tire is very forgiving and meant to work on a wide range of variables. My DOT race tires are not so forgiving and have a smaller range of positive usability. Slicks are an even smaller range.

I could, and do, tell my riders to use the race front at a 33 recommended front PSI. However, there are times when the weather is too cold or hot or the track surface is different from one place to another.. that's when we have to stray from the recommended pressure and use what works better (Because of the smaller usable window the race tires have). BUT the average (and even above average) street/track riders are not looking to gain the extra .2 seconds through peak to peak and usually not looking to gain that extra 2/10 of average MPH.

It simply comes down to being particular. You really don't have to follow recommendations. It's your tire now and you can do what you wish with it. We (Dunlop) have spent lots of money testing the tires so you don't have to though.

I could go on for a little longer but my wife might miss me after a while. LOL I hope I answered your question Sean and please feel free to ask more if any come up.

I am planning on doing a basic tire seminar before the race season starts. Just looking for a good central venue to have it.

ask on askas
    Later in the thread he suggests not varying from his recommendations by more than 2PSI, so I'm already at that limit (or slightly beyond).

I'm thinking that I may just not like these tires--for whatever unfathomable reason...more a "feel" than a solid reason...
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Pilot Power or Power Race?
    The reason I ask is that these are two really different tires.

Hmm, I've actually run both, but the last were "Michelin Pilot Power Race"

Whereas the Pilot Powers looked like:

Especially if you were coming from the Power Race, you would almost HAVE to make a geometry change to the bike. The original Power Race tires were pretty pointy and the Q2 is pretty round by comparison.

--Yeah, they were definitely more of a triangular shape, the Q2s seem more like a blunter/rounder tire.

I'm not an expert on Q2 pressures, I'll leave that to Oscar, but it sounds like you're trying the right things. Try reversing the ratio, making the front tire slightly harder than the rear tire.

--I'll see if that helps, I've never tried it.

Just over 1k

Damn. That sounds like an adventure.

--Yeah, it involved an "accidentally" swapped Dash to hide the mileage and a bunch of other BS...quite the nightmare to unravel, and I'm just glad that I finally got the bike I paid for in the end of it all...not fun.

Check this for sure! There are several good guides on the internet for checking wheel alignment on the bike. The rear wheel even being a degree or two off can really make a big difference in how the bike handles and feels on the road.

Good to know.

Honda bikes are notoriously undersprung in the front, I'm not saying that this is your problem since you liked the bike with different tires, but the front of Honda Sportbikes tend to have way too light of springs in them for the average american male rider.

Hope this is helpful.

I would start by checking wheel alignment.

Yeah, I've had CBRs since my 92 F2, and I have to agree, I'd hoped that the RR would be a different animal, but it's really not much different at the front than my previous CBRs.

Definitely helpful! Thanks!

I will see about the alignment and see if that helps, thanks again!

BUT...if it is just irreconcilable differences between the tires and I, any suggestions?

The Pilot Power Race and the (street) Pilot Powers are both "old" tire designs, that's why I went with the Q2s instead.

I suppose the new Power Ones/Power Pures are the closest to the old Race/Powers, but I've never ridden on them and their reviews aren't *amazing*...
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Site Admin

I guess my feeling on this is that most of the tires that are available today are better than 99% of the riders that use them. Jason DiSalvo and Jason Pridmore both use Q2's on the bikes at their schools, so it's a perfectly adequate tire for street duty.

If you liked the Pilot Power before, why not use it again? Just because it's an "old" design doesn't mean that it's inadequate. I raced on slicks last year that are several generations old in terms of design, but still managed several top 5 season finishes, a win and a bunch of podiums on them. They just worked.

Another interesting tire in my mind is the BT003 RS (race /street) from Bridgestone. I think OUTLAWD on here had them for a while, maybe even did some racing on them?

s

I guess my feeling on this is that most of the tires that are available today are better than 99% of the riders that use them. Jason DiSalvo and Jason Pridmore both use Q2's on the bikes at their schools, so it's a perfectly adequate tire for street duty.

If you liked the Pilot Power before, why not use it again? Just because it's an "old" design doesn't mean that it's inadequate. I raced on slicks last year that are several generations old in terms of design, but still managed several top 5 season finishes, a win and a bunch of podiums on them. They just worked.

Another interesting tire in my mind is the BT003 RS (race /street) from Bridgestone. I think OUTLAWD on here had them for a while, maybe even did some racing on them?

s
    Oh, I'm by no means trying to say that I can or am out-riding the tires, I know that I'm not. It's just that for how/where/why I ride I'm not loving the Q2s. Mainly it's their tendency to be skittish when you don't expect them to be. But, beyond that, there's just something that feels "off" to me when I'm on them...can't explain it better than that...

I've run Bridgestones both on the track and the road before, (BT002s, I think, got them from Jenny a number of years back now), and I liked those as well.

I guess I just thought that the "new" tires would be inherently "better" tires. Like on my STI, the new Dunlop Direzza Star Specs are a better tire than my previous-generation tires were (in every category of "better").

But you're right, maybe I should just try to find what I'm used to and ride on those (or their newer equivalents) instead. Maybe I'm just too accustomed to riding what I used to ride and can't adjust to the new profile or compound or whatever intangible difference it is that I'm finding...
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Site Admin

Oh, I'm by no means trying to say that I can or am out-riding the tires, I know that I'm not. It's just that for how/where/why I ride I'm not loving the Q2s. ...

I wasn't suggesting that, I was making an example of saying that the capabilites of the tires are really really good today, to a level where we (I certainly place myself in this category) might not need the "latest / greatest" tire to have a lot of fun.

I really would check the alignment first, the skittish behavior you describe could easily be caused by that.

Have fun riding!
    s

I wasn't suggesting that, I was making an example of saying that the capabilites of the tires are really really good today, to a level where we (I certainly place myself in this category) might not need the "latest / greatest" tire to have a lot of fun.

I really would check the alignment first, the skittish behavior you describe could easily be caused by that.

Have fun riding!
    s
    I'm reading about it now

Thanks and thanks again!
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

The BT016s are good in the cold...they get hot too quick on a track day but are really quite sticky, they are cheap as well. Maybe you should consider going back to Michelins?
    "Insert clever/inspirational quote here."

I have a couple of bikes, they are fun.

Quote Originally Posted by ian22 View Post
    The BT016s are good in the cold...they get hot too quick on a track day but are really quite sticky, they are cheap as well. Maybe you should consider going back to Michelins?
    Yeah, was looking for a "cheaper" solution, which is why the Q2s seemed appealing, but the price might be worth it if it's not fun for me on the Dunlops.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

I find them sluggish to warm up, I find them to be slippery in the "cold" of any 40-60 degree day,
    Let's take step back and see what is going on here.

How long is it taking you to warm up the tires? (Have you done a track day with them yet?)

What is slippery about them? Are you pushing the front tire? Is the rear lighting up when you are trying to take off at a red light?

Lastly, have you tuned your bike for you yet? I know I might have said it before but I cannot stress the importance of having a bike tuned for you. If it's not, then might as well just start throwing your cash in the trash now.

ride on ridas

Sol Performance/ Preilli Race tires ...........Buy and sell take offs!!
    solperformance@gmail.com .............. www.2ndroll.com
    233. S. Madsion Ave. Loveland, CO 80537
    970.SOL.TIRE

I guess my feeling on this is that most of the tires that are available today are better than 99% of the riders that use them.
    100% agree with this statement. Most tyres available on the market are overkill for the street IMO. I still buy Pilot Powers for the street and these were introduced way back in 2006. No issues with warm-up (why do you really need to warm tyres up on the street anyways? How hard are you riding?), grip, wet performance, or life with proper pressures and suspension adjustment. You could probably close your eyes and pick a random set of tyres, given that the profiles are in OEM sizes and not really be able to tell the difference putting around town.

On the track is another story, however.
    2011 BMW S1000RR
    Sitting peacefully in storage

2003 Kawasaki ZX-6R (636) trackbike (sold), 2004 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 (sold), 2004 Yamaha YZF-R6 trackbike (sold), 2006 Yamaha YZF-R6s (sold), 1999 Kawasaki ZX-6R Ninja (sold), 1998 Honda CBR600F3(TOTALED) 1989 Kawasaki EX500 Ninja(TOTALED)

this would be a correct statement. I loved the BT-003RS (street versions) on the street, couldn't get them to slip ever, on the gixxer or the triumph. I did run them a few rounds at the track, but found I could light up the rear at will (and I'm ) so I made the upgrade to DOT race tires for that added bit of confidence.

we do have a tire sticky, don't we?

I'm racing MW Endurance on Q2's this year and have found them to be good tires. If you are feeling they aren't working for you, I don't think it's worth trying to talk you into loving them - you have to have confidence on the street and track otherwise you aren't going to have any fun.

That said, it seems like there could be an issue with your set / setup. You're reporting pressures down to HALF PSI's... are you sure your gauge is that accurate? Are you sure it's giving you proper readings?

Are you sure they are both balanced? A bad balance job can have a wicked effect on any vehicle.

Make sure your chain isn't too tight or too loose. A poorly adjusted chain can play mind games with you and make you feel like it's the tires.

Finally, check the date code of the tire to see if you maybe got a really old set of rubber. Tires can harden in storage and result in a crappy / vague feel.
    MRA #88
    Keeping it midpack since 2010!