Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: STAR School at HPR (August)

Re: STAR School at HPR (August)

Aug 15 & 16 (Mo and Tue).

.... And quit hijacking threads. ...

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja2 View Post
    Is anyone here still planning on doing STAR?

I will likely sign up this week, and was wondering if there is anyone who could help trailer my bike and/or any female who is interested in sharing the cost for a room somewhat close to the track. I'm taking Dave's advice and do the two days.

Pm sent on your bike getting to HPR
    No doubt about the future, No regrets about the past!

I didn't and don't tell me what to do .

Those are the first two days back to work after leave, I wish.

OK. I will. Too bad you cannot make it.

Mike, thank you for the PM, and for all the help at the track in the past.

I called STAR with some questions, and they asked me to post the discount code for CSC members: HP2011 (yes, it is HP, not HPR). It's a $25 discount you enter during the online registration process.

Gate opens at 7am. Registration shortly thereafter, and then classroom. On track at 9am. Done around 4.30pm. It sounded like you also get some sort of certificate at the end. Would be nice if my insurance will give some sort of discount for this.

I also described to her my (un-)experience level, and she said they have riders with various levels of experience attend, incl. first time track goers. Because there will also be fast riders, they will have two groups: 1. Street and 2. Advanced.

The fact that I am slow is not a problem, she said. As a matter of fact, she said Jason wants everyone to take it down a notch and really focus on learning.

Their cancellation policy is clearly defined at the website.

After running this by more experienced riders, like Jim, Dave, and Gary, I have a great feeling about this opportunity to learn more, so I'm def gonna sign up now. Hope to see you there!

Quote Originally Posted by ian22 View Post
    My point was that I simply need to practice what I already know...then I think I'd get more out of it. Maybe next year.
    As riders we all develop bad habbits, it helps we someone is there to identify them and help us correct them
    Last edited by Clarkie; Tue Jul 19th, 2011 at 11:22 PM.
    It is what it is

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    I'm in. are you doin 1 or 2 day?

I'd rather do Keith Code's school, but they aren't coming to HPR anytime that I know of.
    I have done a couple of Keith Code schools and while they are ok, they dont compare to a Pridmore Star School, you also dont get someone trying to convert you to Scientology as what happened with me when I attended his 2nd school...
    It is what it is

Quote Originally Posted by Clarkie View Post
    As riders we all develop bad habbits, it helps we someone is there to identify them and help us correct them
    Exactly. Practice does NOT make perfect, practice makes permanent. Learn to do it right before you start reinforcing bad habits.
    The GECCO

You begin your riding career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Clarkie View Post
    I have done a couple of Keith Code schools and while they are ok, they dont compare to a Pridmore Star School, you also dont get someone trying to convert you to Scientology as what happened with me when I attended his 2nd school...
    I took the Code school at PPIR about 10 years ago and wasn't impressed...
    The GECCO

You begin your riding career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

Will overnight camping be allowed Aug 14 or 15?
    Has there been any mention of a cut off date? I'd rather get through the next race weekend before deciding if I (or my bike) is up for the Pridmore experience so I would rather sign up August 1-ish.
    MRA #88
    Keeping it midpack since 2010!

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja2 View Post
    I have a great feeling about this opportunity to learn more, so I'm def gonna sign up now. Hope to see you there!

I try to learn something new and work on my weak points every time I ride, whether on the street or track there is always room for improvement.

lack of a job will keep me from attending this year, but maybe you can show me a few pointers afterward

For a nominal fee, yes.
    On a serious note, thank you for your trust. I will leave that to the pros.

Oh wait, I do have a piece of advice just for you: STAY AWAY from the Monster drinks before a ride!!!
    Last edited by Ninja2; Wed Jul 20th, 2011 at 09:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OUTLAWD View Post
    lack of a job will keep me from attending this year, but maybe you can show me a few pointers afterward
    +1
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

hmm wonder if the army safety dude at work could somehow pay for this for me haha
    -Eugene-

2007 black hayabusa touring beast
    2003 KTM 525sx/exc hybrid
    2002 black and blue hayabusa- (SOLD)
    2000 ZX7R STREETFIGHTER-(SOLD)

Board Newbie

Just Signed up for both days

Cory
    MRA Novice #226

I just chatted with one of the peeps from STAR school and got the straight skinny, right from the top: they need NINE more people signed up - EACH of the two days - to make the school worthwhile. If they don't get the numbers by Monday 1 Aug, the school will be cancelled. I'm not a businessman (or businesswoman), but I can't imagine that bodes well for them planning any repeat visits to CO in the near future.

I know how spoiled CO folks are with relatively easy track access and lots of track days. Let me dispell ANY rumors that this is "just another track day" - it's NOT. The skills and tools you learn from JP and his instructors are absolutely first rate. Don't take my word for it - he has people like Josh Hayes, Roger Hayden and Steve Rapp show up to guest instruct, among others. Yeah, I KNOW it's more expensive than a track day - because it's NOT a track day - it is a skills training course. If you go to this school and don't learn something, you weren't trying hard enough or paying close enough attention.

Even if you can only go for one day - sign UP!! Though I will say from (multiple) personal experience - two IS better than one. And no, I'm not on payroll LOL I'm just a firm believer in the skills. AND I want this school to be coming back to CO when I move back there in a few years Bring a friend! Bring two friends! Just hurry up and sign up! And if you can't or won't go, spread the word!
    Last edited by Clarkie; Sat Jul 30th, 2011 at 10:58 PM.
    It is what it is

My twitter question with Jason Pridmore just now:

losingmylycosa Steve Clark
    @jp43 Coming to High Plains Aug15-16? Heard #s might too low.
    59 minutes ago

jp43 Jason Pridmore
    @losingmylycosa as of now yes. Wish we could improve the #s there tho
    40 minutes ago

losingmylycosa Steve Clark
    @jp43 Hope you can. Thank you for providing the National Guard training days. I'm active AF in Denver.
    12 minutes ago
    in reply to ↑

@jp43
    Jason Pridmore
    @losingmylycosa thank you even more for allowing guys like me to do what we love. Been so much fun teaching military personnal

I've been to the Keith Code (at PPIR), Freddie Spencer (at LVMS), and Jason Pridmore (at PMI) schools.

Keith Code preaches counter steering. He believes all other methods of turning the bike are ineffective. You learn some skills there, but they are very basic.

Freddie Spencer has the best of the 3 listed above. Too bad he self destructed and took his school with him. He taught trail braking, body steering, and explained how they worked. His school gave you too much information to fully process. The instructors were top notch.

Jason Pridmore offers much of what Freddie Spencer teaches. He also offers it at a much lower price. The Freddie Spencer school cost about $3,000 for a 3 day school.

If anyone is on the fence because of the value for the money, take the chance and go.

JP also does 1 on 1 sessions which are a little more expensive, but are awesome!
    It is what it is

I signed up today. Hopefully 8 others will sign up tonight so that they don't cancel.
    2003 GSX-R750 Angry Marmot Motorsports #256
    Voted "Best Smelling Exhaust" May 2006

Did this school happen? I see HPR is on the STAR schedule May 14/15, 2012.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Yes. I cannot find the thread right now, but we did post some pics.

Sign up if you can. Great school. I believe I am gonna be unable to make this one. Would love to go out there for Chuckawalla, but I'd have to see what they charge for bike rentals.

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

Going to try and make this next one.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli