Thread: "The Pace" - Good Reading!

Only here for the free Wi-Fi Site Admin Spiderman's Avatar

"The Pace" - Good Reading!

Some of you may have heard of "The Pace", an article written by Nick Ienatsch (it first appeared in Motorcyclist Magazine, November 1991). Some of you may have even read it.

For those of you that haven't, or those of you that would like to read it again, I've posted it on the website, along with a follow-up article called "Pace Yourself" (also written by Nick Ienatsch).

If you're not familiar with "The Pace", it sets out guidelines to ensure safe & fun group riding.

The Colorado Sportbike Club has not adopted, nor do we enforce all the rules outlined in "The Pace", however we do want everyone to have a safe and enjoyable experience when riding with the club. The articles have been posted to serve as guidelines for people who are new to riding with a group. Please take a few minutes to read them.

Here is a link to the articles: http://cosportbikeclub.org/local/ThePace.html

Thanks,
    Spidey
    Bob <------ Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you
         - 2002 Yamaha R1 (92K+ miles... bought new) ---------------------------------------->
         - 2015 Yamaha Bolt C-Spec (Cafe Racer)
         - 2004 Yamaha R6 (racebike)
         - 2006 Yamaha R1 (racebike)
    R.I.P. 502
    ~ Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out, it isn't the end.

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar
    Shameless self promotion time... Also good reading:

http://ralph.centerone.com/perfriding.html
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

This is good reading. I have tried to have group rides like this, but we get board and wick it up befor to long. I belive the key is in the top speed you set with the group your with. With a top speed set at 60 we all stayed together through Dear Creek. And we still went semi fast thru the corners. However when we have a group of all fast riders most got board with this pace. We then moved the top speed to 80mph, and had fun without getting board. It's much easier to scrub off to speed limit speeds from 80mph than from 140mph. I do pratice the 2 second rule, and belive it makes high speeds a little safer. Trust me a 100mph stoppie is no fun. While watching you bud bouncing off the guard rail. Maybe it's time to try some of this stuff. What's your thoughts??

An excellently written piece that I want to learn from....Nick himself is an awesome individual and teacher....I was very fortunate to have had the opportunity to learn from him first hand and I was very impressed with his amazing grasp of the skill, the sport and the ability to communicate about it.

Anything he has written is worth reading!
    shacheri

"Ok, so what's the speed of dark?" ~Steve Wright

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

DATED

shacheri wrote:

An excellently written piece that I want to learn from....Nick himself is an awesome individual and teacher....I was very fortunate to have had the opportunity to learn from him first hand and I was very impressed with his amazing grasp of the skill, the sport and the ability to communicate about it.

Anything he has written is worth reading!
    Well the thread has been out there for awhile ---- glad you feel this is of importance toward the sport ---- cognizance is cool
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Yup! somethings are timeless.....they just remain true and good no matter how long they've been around!
    shacheri

I’m probably preaching to the choir, but read his new book "Sportriding Techniques."
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Got it - signed by the man himself when we were at Freddie's last week.

It stays by my side of the bed!
    shacheri

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

Whoops!

shacheri wrote:

It stays by my side of the bed!

That statement leaves you WIDE OPEN for total abuse lady ------- just my $0.02
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

yea, I thought about that after I had written it....nothing is sacred on this site!
    shacheri

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Pace? Isn't that some kinda Picante sauce?

J/K. Good reading.

Speaking of Nick Ienatsch, I sorta met hime before at least once. I remember the first time I met him in the early '80's, probably '84. Me and a couple of buddies went to the 24 Hours West at Willow Springs (we lived about 30 minutes from there) and we were in the pit late at night to watch the pitstops of one of the faster teams. Team Hammer (now Team Valvoline) Suzuki had already crashed out by then, and these other guys were now one of the contenda's. Anyways, I noticed his leathers, and blurted out "Hey, look, it's that Ienatsch guy from the magazine!". Well, he heard that, and turned to look at us, then immediately pulled his leathers down on top so nobody else could see his name. If I remember correctly, we talked to Boehm that night though. I don't think his was the winning team, as I remembered the winning team was from a performance shop in Torrance CA that next year became the Vance&Hines shop they raced out of, and my '86 1100 was worked on at. They won for a few years after that, and we were there every time after that. Then came the Team Valvoline Suziki years, but that's another story....

I wonder if 'ol Nick remembers the incident? We weren't there to cause them any troble, just watch, and I was just stoked to see him after reading his articles.
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

Re: "The Pace" - Good Reading!

i can tell you as a still new rider (less than 2 years before my 1st bike got stolen), these articles are most helpful in reminding myself that there is no pressure to ride and keep up. i look forward to getting to know everyone and make lots of new friends..

I just got done with a track day learning from Mr. I. He is THE easiest guy to learn from, and that's from a guy who spends a lot of time with the awsome Mark S. from Vanmar! The pace works very well, and he's a really easy guy to ask a question.

Keeper of The Great White Buffalo

Great artical I enjoyed it. It really does describe some great truths to riding the street.

I’m probably preaching to the choir, but read his new book "Sportriding Techniques."
    I bought it at lunch time, reading it now... hope my boss doesn't post here.

Can anyone recommend any DVDs on Track riding. I seen some cool tips on cornering, breaking and acceleration on youtube, but I want a complete set.

BTW... the Pace inspired me to be a better rider. Control over speed....interesting concepts.
    Careful kid, you'll shoot your eye out

Thanks for posting that, I recognize Nick from cycle world..(i think) how do you pronounce his last name?
    "Insert clever/inspirational quote here."

I have a couple of bikes, they are fun.

Bump!

N00bs need to read this ASAP before attending any more group rides. Here's a version with pictures just in case.

http://micapeak.com/info/thepace.html

Leah
    05 Raven R1
    01 YZ250F

Local jerk Yearly Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by DevilsTonic View Post
    Bump!

N00bs need to read this ASAP before attending any more group rides. Here's a version with pictures just in case.

http://micapeak.com/info/thepace.html
    good call

Quote Originally Posted by grim View Post
    good call
    Agreed.

07 GSXR 750
    07 GSXR 600 (RIP)

Exclamation be smart our there- spring season starts soon

Aurora...today
    David was suspected of speeding and driving recklessly prior to the crash, police said. The SUV he rear-ended was stopped at a pedestrian crossing for an adult and children.
    The SUV's driver and passengers were not injured, police said.
    A second motorcyclist swerved around the stopped vehicles and didn't return to the scene. David was driving a 2009 Suzuki GSX at the time of the fatal crash....
    be smart out there

Read more: Man who died in Aurora motorcycle crash identified - The Denver Post
    finally - handlebars ...an Aprilia Tuono with Ohlins and OZ's

present
    past rides too numerous to mention

Good read indeed. Glad this is somewhat of the 'rules' this club has adopted.

I read "The Pace" quite some time ago, but it was nice to go back and take a second look.

Thanks for reviving this old thread.

How would you like to get roundhouse kicked with a motorcycle?