Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Long-ass rides 2011

Account Deactivated at users request Yearly Supporter

Re: Long-ass rides 2011

Soooo jealous...

It was a great ride even with the rain shower. My bike is definitely in need of a major cleaning today. The many stops for photo ops was a nice change of pace from our typical long-ass rides. Thanks for having me along I look forward to the next one.
    Maria
    2009 Street Triple

Gold Member Yearly Supporter mtnairlover's Avatar

Hey, Maria? How'd that pic of the bird on your mirror turn out? That was too funny/cool.
    ...ready to take on the world...one canyon at a time...

Check out my WordPress blog -- Exploring Colorado’s 25 Scenic and Historic Byways: A two-year tour by sport bike, auto and 4×4 @ mtnairloversview

Like my Facebook page @ Colorado Scenic Byways Tours to learn more about the byways

Quote Originally Posted by mtnairlover View Post
    Hey, Maria? How'd that pic of the bird on your mirror turn out? That was too funny/cool.
    I didn't get him looking at me but it's still pretty cute.
    Maria
    2009 Street Triple

Yep, that's the one. Funny...like it's his bike! ;-)

Check out my WordPress blog -- Exploring Colorado’s 25 Scenic and Historic Byways: A two-year tour by sport bike, auto and 4×4 @ mtnairloversview

Like my Facebook page @ Colorado Scenic Byways Tours to learn more about the byways

Another long-ass ride in the memory banks....

Today's ride was the longest ride I've ever been on and completed in one day...all told, 715 miles round trip leaving my place at 5:30 a.m. and rolling back into the garage...dirty, buggy, slow...and happy at 7:45 p.m.

Showers are not over-rated...ahhhh...

Anyhoo, some pix...

Homeward bound...

Here comes summer!

This time around though, the posts of long-ass rides will be anyone's long-ass ride.
    We did not come close to your mileage, but since my butt hurts, I hope this still qualifies as a long-ass ride: 470 miles. COS to Winter Park, Walden, Poudre and back from FTC on the superslab. Here a few pics:
    Last edited by Ninja2; Sun Jul 3rd, 2011 at 06:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja2 View Post
    We did not come close to your mileage, but since my butt hurts, I hope this still qualifies as a long-ass ride: 470 miles. COS to Winter Park, Walden, Poudre and back from FTC on the superslab. Here a few pics:
    Very nice!

lol...I don't feel the sore butt...ever. Of course, there's enough cushion there to keep me comfy for...a long while.

Looks like you two had an awesome day as well.

Exposed Member Lifetime Supporter Bashed's Avatar

MAL,
    Nothing like Lake City for some lunch.
    I'm stuck @ a 72 hr job this year, but it beats the alternative.
    Envious.....
    * Bash, Bashasaurus, Ms Bash, his neighbors or friends are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you being squidish, squid like, squirting ink, or waving your non-covered tentacles about in a squidy fashion. Nor is he or his associates responsible for any citations as a result of you hanging with SoCo. Any attempt to coerce, blame, question, or pin your loser-riffic behavior on any of us, or those who are considered us for the night, as well as people we like, to include Salma Hayek and Nicky Hayden, among others, will result in a profanity stricken series of post that mock and taunt you incessantly, as well as many of us adding such insults to our signature lines. Avoid taking SoCo before bedtime. Do not use if you experience faintness, dizziness, inverness, difficulty urinating or blotchy skin. If I steal a line, quote, avatar or image from a post you make on the internet, you're not getting credit.*

Quote Originally Posted by Bashed View Post
    MAL,
    Nothing like Lake City for some lunch.
    I'm stuck @ a 72 hr job this year, but it beats the alternative.
    Envious.....

We all need to win the MegaMillions and retire. Then we can enjoy the mountains more than once a week.

I can't believe we made it to Lake City by 10:30. Of course, leaving at 6 a.m. does help.

There's one place in particular along that route I want to go back and explore a little more...there are several signs off of hwy112 and one off of hwy114 that pointed to a canyon. Gotta go back and see it. Oh and the pass on hwy114...the approach from the south...talk about massive old growth Aspen. Beautiful!

I'll say it over and over again and never get tired of it...I love living here!

I'm doing Poudre a week/half from now on a Wednesday if you are interested.
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

Very nice!
    Looks like you two had an awesome day as well.
    Yes, it was wonderful. It was so nice escaping the heat. It felt great in the mountains. And Eric did a great job keeping up with me .

On a serious note, he was really patient with me, and the waitress in the Brickhouse... . Traffic was kinda bad, esp on 70 and parts of 14. So if you can ride with Zach on that Wed, do it!

The traffic was pretty bad on 285 fri, but luckily the 3 of us were heading the opposite way of holiday travelers.
    '16 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
    '12 Kawasaki Concours14 -
    Sold
    '08 Kawasaki Concours14 -
    Sold
    '05 Suzuki SV1000S - Sold
    '07 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 - Sold

Great ride on Friday, thanks to the two of you for a fun day. Definitely a lot less traffic than I what I had to deal with on the way back from Steamboat today. Total mileage for the weekend was 1,174 time to go see TFOG.
    Maria
    2009 Street Triple

Quote Originally Posted by Zach929rr View Post
    I'm doing Poudre a week/half from now on a Wednesday if you are interested.
    Boy do I wish! I don't work at a school district anymore, so I work all the time like everyone else...gah! I requested Friday off and since I've been on the job for only 2 months, I need to watch my p's and q's not to mention the fact that I will be requesting a week off for my honeymoon in October. Enjoy your ride...the road has a few new pavement spots, so it's gotten better in the lower stretches. Now, they just need to work on the upper parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Nvr2late View Post
    Great ride on Friday, thanks to the two of you for a fun day. Definitely a lot less traffic than I what I had to deal with on the way back from Steamboat today. Total mileage for the weekend was 1,174 time to go see TFOG.
    Dang, girl! I was looking at my tires on Friday coming home, too. Not too much longer and I'll be making my visit to TFOG as well. It's always a pleasure riding with you as well.

Quote Originally Posted by BC14 View Post
    The traffic was pretty bad on 285 fri, but luckily the 3 of us were heading the opposite way of holiday travelers.
    Lol...good thinking there kiddo! I love how a day like that can come together so nicely with just a little bit of planning.

I was talking with my Dad today about my ride and he was quite impressed with the mileage. He also brought out his map to see where we went. There's a few areas of CO he hasn't been to yet, and Lake City is one of them as well as Black Canyon of the Gunnison. I think my step-Mom is quite eager to get out and explore...she kept talking about the great gas mileage they get in their car...lol.

I was talking with my Dad today about my ride and he was quite impressed with the mileage. He also brought out his map to see where we went. There's a few areas of CO he hasn't been to yet, and Lake City is one of them as well as Black Canyon of the Gunnison. I think my step-Mom is quite eager to get out and explore...she kept talking about the great gas mileage they get in their car...lol.
    I've got a route planned out for that too
    '16 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
    Sold
    Sold

I've got a route planned out for that too
    Shweet! Does it look anything like the one I did last year?

Probably pretty similar.
    '16 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
    Sold
    Sold

I"m gonna plan out a Saturday hwy 92 trip in the near future for the first or second weekend in August.
    '16 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
    Sold
    Sold

I"m gonna plan out a Saturday hwy 92 trip in the near future for the first or second weekend in August.
    Hmmm...

Well, even though it wasn't a ride, it was a long-ass drive yesterday that took me and my daughter all the way out to Glenwood Springs, via Independence Pass and Aspen. It's hard getting her to want to go outside, but every time I do, she finds a way to make me smile. This time, she looks at me and says, "Thanks so much for taking me out here!" She was in awe most of the day...until she got light-headed on top of Independence Pass...lol.

Some pix for those who have not been out that way...

This is what you get to see along the hike to the lookout at the top.

Just had to stand under the waterfall...ahhhh...oh and yes, there's a sharp drop-off next to my car. About a couple hundred feet or so, down.

I'm always passing this historic site on my bike. This time, I had the time and lack of speed to actually pull over and check out the townsite. There's about a dozen buildings in some form of crumbling disrepair that can be found at this site.

Just a random bike photo thrown in for good measure. This was taken today on P2P. Had to get my bike-fix in somehow.

I was going to post a separate thread, but this seems like a better place for it

A long ass-ride for me, just over 400 miles door-to-door: http://tinyurl.com/3zk5lr7

Worst of all, I took the wrong bike! Would have been more comfortable on the V-Rod or ST4S, took the Ninja instead. I find it hard to believe it has the best seat out of the 600 supersports.

The ride down I-25 was windy enough @ 90 MPH to be not very enjoyable with my little MRA windscreen. Don't get me wrong, its way better than stock, but not as good as what I have on my other bikes.

Accomplished the big goal of the day, to see Bishop's Castle. Looking forward to returning there with the wife and climbing up into that sucker.

Took a wrong turn up CO-1 and wound up in Guffey, what an odd little town. If not the wrong turn, my miles would have been way closer to 300.

Riding Deckers later in the day was actually pleasant. No RV traffic and both cars holding me up pulled over pretty quickly to let me pass. Well, the Escalade held on for a couple of minutes, but the delay worth watching the driver trying to hustle that beast through the 30 MPH curves

2015 KTM 1290R (Black)

Yeah, I25 and I70 are not on my list of favorite roads...lol. But, looks like you had some good riding after the pain of the slabway. ;-) Diversions, even if unexpected are sometimes quite nice. Hopefully, you had a chance to see some interesting scenery on that little detour.

I took a long ride this weekend, as well. But again, it was in the cage. A planned overnighter with my daughter to see parts of Colorado I hadn't ventured through before and well worth the time. I think she enjoyed it too, despite being a teenager. Of course, she is my kid, so dorkishness runs in the blood.

I hope everyone else that went on long rides this weekend enjoyed themselves as well.

The 640 miler I did on Saturday to go up into WY and do Snowy Range road was great. If you have the opportunity to make it up there, during the summer, please do. There was still quite a bit of snow in the shade at the higher elevations. The road lives up to its name. Lots of good views as well.. Gonna have to stop and take pics next time.
    '16 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
    Sold
    Sold