Thread: CBR600RR "GP Style" exhaust?

CBR600RR "GP Style" exhaust?

Anyone ever (successfully) convert a CBR 600 RR (07+) from the ass-roasting Undertail to a "GP Style" exhaust like the Yoshimura R-55 (or similar)?

For Reference (r55 on a GSXR)

I figure if you'd ahve to do some cutting/welding and fairly significant alterations to work around the Unit Pro Link and the tight fit under the lowers, BUT if you could make a GP exhaust it might: 1) look better since you can put in the 06 RR style integrated tail and ditch the fugly stock brake/turn assembly that hangs under the muffler, 2) have a cooler, fresher, happier ass on hot days stuck in traffic, 3) lower CoG by getting the weight out of the highest point on the bike, 4) use an undertail from something and not only have a smooth tail on the RR, but actually have useable space under the pass seat instead of the credit card holder that it is now...

Anyone ever try?
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Re: CBR600RR "GP Style" exhaust?

Do the exhaust headers go down the right side of the bike? Luckily Colorado doesn't have emissions testing for motorcycles.
    George Mock | 2008 ZX6R | GoPro Hero | 3:551 5806

Unfortunately, Honda's kinda retarded. The headers collect and then go down the Left side of the bike before making a 90* turn to the Right and then another 90* turn vertically to go up along the Right side of the subframe and then out the back--which is all overly complicated, heavy and ball-roastingly hot in the summer when jammed in traffic.

But yeah, luckily no Emission test for bikes (unlike my PITA car), but you can get ticketed for non-OEM stamped exhausts in Denver and a few other counties.

Still, it'd be worth it if I could figure out HOW to make it all work...
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

That sounds complicated. You'd also be messing with the weight distribution a lot.

I have an under-tail exhaust but it doesn't bother me in the least. Passengers like the back seat for night riding because the heat from the pipe runs up their back at stoplights.

How is the heat shielding for your exhaust? And I do see how stupid your tail light assembly looks. Is it all one piece or can you detach the license plate tail of it and relocate your plate elsewhere? It doesn't look that bad with just the brake light & turn signal assembly.

I was thinking I'd skip the cat and run a short/thin canister down the left side, then arc the piping over to the right and have it dump out about where the stock exhaust turns vertical (which would put it right above and behind my right footpeg). I just have to figure a way to make it all fit. At least that was the thought/theory...

It's nice at night I guess, but brutal in 90 degree heat at a redlight...

Shielding is crappy, not for the seat itself (or so I'm told, never ridden over it) but really for the right side/upper thigh area. That gets hot...

I've seen aftermarket kits that use a smaller LED light bar under the exhaust, but it still looks kinda lame. The best solution I've seen is to run a smaller aftermarket canister that leaves enough room to fit the 06RR underseat taillight and run an integrator kit so it's lights/brake/signals--but you'd still have the undertail exhaust.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmfvXgSyHZ4

I just think the whole thing would look a lot sleeker if it was a GP exhaust and then the super-thin tail...
    Last edited by Ghost; Mon May 30th, 2011 at 11:51 PM.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

I had a '08 600RR and know the issue very well. Could you not go to a muffler shop and have a custom pipe from the headers ported to the right side with a simple cone or slash cut end? You'd only need 1' to 2'. Yeah, it'd be loud, but no louder than a Hardley with aftermarket pipes.

I'm not a big fan of having an aftermarket exhaust unless it's for the track. I was asking if the tail part of the brake light assembly came off, the vertical fin that holds a reflector and license plate. Might want to look into a better exhaust shielding along the thigh area.

If you can work around the existing parts to achieve what you want then that would be cheapest. But if you want to be noisy then that's another story.

This is the one that I have on mine. I with a Leo exhaust because it doesn't sit up as far as some of the others. I like the way it looks and I know what your talking about with the heat but I'm used to it and it doesn't bother me that much anymore.

http://tripageled.com/os/product_inf...roducts_id=166

Here is a link to 600rr.net where some other people have done it.

http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.p...t=side+exhaust

Quote Originally Posted by TransNone13 View Post
    I had a '08 600RR and know the issue very well. Could you not go to a muffler shop and have a custom pipe from the headers ported to the right side with a simple cone or slash cut end? You'd only need 1' to 2'. Yeah, it'd be loud, but no louder than a Hardley with aftermarket pipes.
    Yeah, I could, I even mentioned it to a friend of mine who does custom exhausts and that's what he suggested but I don't want a completely open exhaust--that's just way too loud for my tastes. I'm not opposed to going noisier than stock, but I want some kind of a muffler just so I don't lose my own hearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Vellos View Post
    I'm not a big fan of having an aftermarket exhaust unless it's for the track. I was asking if the tail part of the brake light assembly came off, the vertical fin that holds a reflector and license plate. Might want to look into a better exhaust shielding along the thigh area.

If you can work around the existing parts to achieve what you want then that would be cheapest. But if you want to be noisy then that's another story.
    The fin's kinda part of the whole light bracket/assembly, but it could be cut off and an aftermarket fender eliminator type solution with the LED bar could be mounted under the muffler canister.

Not looking to be noisier, but not opposed if it solves the problem and is a tolerable level...in theory...though the R-55 canister, even if I could make it work, isn't the quietest thing ever...
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

"Clarkie" did a left side exhaust with a cbr1000 tail...

EDIT: just saw that he posted on the cbr board

Hmm, that's pretty cool, that looks like the full 1000RR's subframe?

Or, I guess, any more pics/details or a link to the CBR board?

Quote Originally Posted by OUTLAWD View Post
    "Clarkie" did a left side exhaust with a cbr1000 tail...

EDIT: just saw that he posted on the cbr board

~Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by age315 View Post

^

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Hmm, that's pretty cool, that looks like the full 1000RR's subframe?

Or, I guess, any more pics/details or a link to the CBR board?

or PM Clarkie on this board...he's no longer in CO as far as I know, but still peruses the board every now and again

You could try insulation wrap on the pipe if you just want to cut down on the heat.

Quote Originally Posted by age315 View Post
    This is the one that I have on mine. I with a Leo exhaust because it doesn't sit up as far as some of the others. I like the way it looks and I know what your talking about with the heat but I'm used to it and it doesn't bother me that much anymore.

http://tripageled.com/os/product_inf...roducts_id=166

Somehow I missed this post the first time, thanks man!
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Penadam View Post
    You could try insulation wrap on the pipe if you just want to cut down on the heat.
    Yeah, but wraps kinda look like crap, and I really just want the whole thing gone...
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

(^Not mine BTW, just found it at 600RR.net)

Just needs an undertail or the 1k RR conversion to clean it up a bit.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Quote Originally Posted by Vellos View Post
    That sounds complicated. You'd also be messing with the weight distribution a lot.
    It'd be some work making a mid-pipe and hanger, but in the end the result itself is far less complicated (and far shorter) than running the exhaust up near the rear shock (and cooking it) and under the tail. And, actually, you'd be helping to significantly improve the weight distribution by lowering the CG and bringing the center of mass of the exhaust (heaviest part being the can) closer to the roll center (basically a longitudinal line parallel to the ground thru both axles). WIN/WIN. This is exactly why most MotoGP bikes and some stock ones are going this way. The exceptions being V4's where they need the pipe length for the rear cylinders.

Me, I always thought the undertail exhaust was a dumb idea, for the above reasons I mentioned, the fact that you have limited underseat storage space now, and you're frying your ass(es) on hot days. No thanks, I'll take my exhaust down low, thanks.
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

Quote Originally Posted by CYCLE_MONKEY View Post

Me, I always thought the undertail exhaust was a dumb idea

what about filling the low pressure area behind the tail of the bike with the exhaust? there was actually some valid reasoning behind the shift to undertail exhausts IIRC

Quote Originally Posted by OUTLAWD View Post
    what about filling the low pressure area behind the tail of the bike with the exhaust? there was actually some valid reasoning behind the shift to undertail exhausts IIRC
    True, I'm sure there might be some benefit aerodynamically, but it seems all the inlines that originally had undertails have been going away from that with few exceptions, so they probably figured the benefits of a lower CG/roll center, heat issues etc. were more than the drawbacks in the aeros sense. Bikes have terrible aero anyways, and while using exhaust to pressurize the wake on a car with aero rear diffusers works well, for a bike there is probably so much turbulance it's not much of a benefit. I can see the V4's running undertails in MotoGP simply to get the header length needed.
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post

(^Not mine BTW, just found it at 600RR.net)

Just needs an undertail or the 1k RR conversion to clean it up a bit.
    I'd love to do something similar to what they did in F1 for a while where they had a megaphone aerodynamically faired-in to a Ti plate flush with the bodywork on both sides. BUT, like your example, it's a sure noise violation ticket. Thanks, but I'll pass for a streetbike.

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

Quote Originally Posted by CYCLE_MONKEY View Post
    I'd love to do something similar to what they did in F1 for a while where they had a megaphone aerodynamically faired-in to a Ti plate flush with the bodywork on both sides. BUT, like your example, it's a sure noise violation ticket. Thanks, but I'll pass for a streetbike.
    Yeah, tickets are always an issue, especially on a bike. So, I'm not going to do a straight/open exhaust from collector to exit.

But, I've wanted it out from under the tail for a while for the same reasons you cited above--heat (both roasting me and my rear shock), CoG, overall weight, etc.

I roasted my ass on a 749S in summer heat in traffic, and it wasn't fun years ago, and it wasn't fun last summer on the RR.

So, eventually, I come up with some kind of solution...

Currently, my thought is to use a Yoshimura R-55 end can with enough plumbing to run it to the headers. I was going to hook it over to the right like you'd expect, but after seeing Clarkie's I might just leave it on the left (who really cares?).

My other idea (more complicated) would be to run two resonators/baffles/mini-mufflers. One down the left side where the stock pipes run, then one across the back where it makes the 90* turn to the Right. Then I'd just tack on a cone and have it dump out up and behind my right passenger peg.

In theory, it'd look something like the the Taylormade Racing exhaust for the CBR1000RR (in theory and with a lot of luck).

~Hunter S. Thompson