Would like some educated input into this topic as I believe it will help many understand the purpose and protection of their frame-sliders. From what I understand frame sliders should be designed to absorb the initial impact to protect the frame, just as a helmet would for your head. There are many different types of frame-sliders so I'd like to review and revise the different types. I'll update this post as more information is gained, please correct me if something is wrong, and let me know if you want something added.

Standard: Ones that bolt onto your side engine mount frames and stick straight out, which may require the fairings to be modified.

Q: What are the qualities of different pucks? Plastic, rubber, metal.
A: Plastic or rubber is good at absorbing an impact. Metal ones transfer the impact into the frame which is bad.

Q: Is it okay if a frame slider snaps off during a crash or does a good frame slider stay bolted on?
A:

Q: Will a longer frame slider protect my fairing as well as my frame?
A: At low speeds a longer slider that protrudes past the fairing will protect it. At high speeds the longer the frame slider is the more likely it is to "catch" while sliding and cause the bike to flip, assuming it doesn't snap off.

No-Cut Sliders: Similar to a standard frame slider, but has a bracket that attaches to the engine mounting frame and relocates the slider so no fairing cuts are necessary.

Q: Does the bracketed frame slider provide equal protection as a standard slider?
A:

Q: Can an impact on the slider bend the bracket inward and cause damage to internal parts?
A:

Race Rails: Are a bar that extends from the standard or no-cut engine mounting frame spots to the mid-frame near the rearsets.

Q: If there is no puck will the distribution of the impact be mitigated into the two points and have equal, if not better, protection as a standard slider?
A: The impact will transfer to two spots on the frame, but it is not a good form of protection and can directly cause damage to the frame while sparing the plastics.

Q: If there is a puck, then is it better?
A: A proper puck will absorb the impact, but this is similar to having an extended slider that may catch and cause the bike to flip.

Q: Can having a rail protect myself from getting my leg caught under the bike?
A: Depending on the crash it could save you from being crushed by the bike, but in other cases it may cause more damage to you than if you didn't have them.

Stunt Cages: Comes in a triangle mounting form, with the same two positions as the race rails that then meet at the bottom underneath the bike.

Q: Do these offer better protection than a standard frame slider?
A: The cages have no pucks, and are designed to protect the internal components by sending the impact into the frame. This is good for low-speed drops, specifically on a bike that isn't meant to go at high speeds (where frame integrity matters). Stunting yes; racing no.