Thread: BMW F800GS

BMW F800GS

Playing In The Band October 16, 1989
    Last edited by 60pan; Sun Mar 9th, 2014 at 01:26 PM.

Re: BMW F800GS

Several owners on here.

I'm generally a hater of things that work poorly for the sake of being different. With that said...a non-boxer BMW? I'd consider it if the price was right.

I've ridden Bodhizafa's and it is one hell of a bike. I was really tossing up the differences between the F800 and my KTM950adv.

Pro's: good gas milage, it will take a beating, good engine, very comfy, feels lighter than it is

Cons: expensive parts and aftermarket shit, there are some repair/recall bulletins, It's still a 400+ lbs bike, no windscreen, non-adjustable front suspension

I just picked up the older brother to 800 (F650GS). So far I love it, but haven't gotten on the long road with it yet. One thing that just impressed me was the very good customer service I got when calling around this afternoon. I was looking for a $16 part (axle spacer the PO apparently didn't determine to be important) and called around. Every BMW moto place I called was very nice and responsive, some even suggesting some other independent shops to look for them. I even received a call back from a voice mail message. While it's not necessarily about the bike the impression I got from calling around was a very good support for the bike.
    1996 BMW R1100GS
    2002 Ducati Monster 750i.e.

I have an 09. Great bike. Got it as a demo about a year and a half ago. Not the best road bike and a bit big for off-road, but a hell of a compromise. Very comfy, very responsive and pretty damn tough. I've had it on some pretty good trails, it's hit its share of rocks with no damage. Depending on the tires I have on it, it can cruise on the highway with no problem up to about 120mph or so (only about 90 with knobbies on). Can cruise on dirt roads at 70 with no problem either. No problems in the twisties, easy to flick around. Great brakes, (ABS option), usaul BMW luxuries (except the cappachinno maker). Very smooth motor with plenty of tourque.

Aftermarket stuff can get a bit pricey but not as bad as I thought, and nothing has really gone wrong with it that I had to pay for.

I had a recall on the chain (mine was fine), a few riders have had an issue with the bearings (I think on pre-2010 bikes). Head-gasket leaked after 5k miles, but a new one was engineered I guess and BMW took care of it. One problem with them is the gas tank "cover" cracks. There is a big thread on ADVrider about it. You would probably never notice it unless you looked for it and I don't think it is a big deal, just seems a bit strange on an expensive bike. Looks like it only happens to the American version with the charcoal canister on them If you got a 2011 the only thing I would watch for would be the tank crack thing.

The only thing I really wish it had would be a better suspension. The front is too soft for me. Same with the rear, I weigh about 185 and I have the rear preload cranked way up. Front isn't adjustable, which pisses me off (didn't think about it when I purchased it). A lot of riders are putting stiffer springs in with a heavier oil with good results. There is also a cartridge you can put in the fork that is about 2 grand I've yet to do anything with it but I will probably do the new springs (front and rear) this winter.

Even with the soft springs....its a helluva bike
    To those dead souls inching along the freeways in their metal coffins,... ..we show them that the human spirit is still alive

Hyper 1100
    KTM 450 XCW

definitely not a hater... Popularity (availability of parts, aftermarket and otherwise), weight, dirt to street ratio, etc all went into my choice to get the DR. Id rock a beemer if it fit better into my parameters, but it didnt.

06 DR650SE

Quote Originally Posted by 60pan View Post
    I have a friend with a 2004 KTM950 & itsa good bike but alittle big & too much motor for what I'm doing....
    You didn't say you were comparing the two. KTM hands down. But then again, you're right, most people can't handle such an awesome, powerful, beautiful, machine.

Tiger looks like a good bike, might be better for the road though.

KTM's are like the ugly girl in class.....ugly to look at....but what a ride!
    To those dead souls inching along the freeways in their metal coffins,... ..we show them that the human spirit is still alive

Hyper 1100
    KTM 450 XCW

Quote Originally Posted by 60pan View Post
    I like my ladies to have class? not be a maintenance nightmare
    All bikes that get ridden hard have issues. The f800 is no exception

Quote Originally Posted by bodhizafa View Post
    KTM's are like the ugly girl in class.....ugly to look at....but what a ride!
    Not ugly, they just have a face only a mother can love.

My only "issues" have been water crossings

Hyper 1100
    KTM 450 XCW

Quote Originally Posted by bodhizafa View Post
    My only "issues" have been water crossings
    and gravity.

i Have been drooling over john's for a while now. Something about these things speak to me. I really need to go ride one and see what the hype is about.
    -Travis-

This should clear up the BMW vs. KTM debate.
    Last edited by Sean; Sat May 18th, 2013 at 12:51 PM.

Senior Member Yearly Supporter Swift's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post

Right back at ya, beeotch.
    2003 BMW R1150R - For Sale - PM for details
    2007 BMW 328Xi Coupe - The Cage

hA, i just can't help but thinking the KTM looks like a grasshopper
    -Travis-

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    That's a fat, overweight, middle aged, don't break a hip 1200GS.....

Hyper 1100
    KTM 450 XCW

Nice

Couple of farkles that have worked well for me:

Holans Pro crash bars (saved my bike countless times, I can't recomend these strongly enough)
    Barkbusters hand guards (have worked great too but are really dinged up, might try the Highway Dirtbike ones down the road)
    Riccochet skid plate (I have bashed the hell out of it and its cheaper than a lot of the others)
    MOD rear top rack. Pretty nice, a little more expensive than the others but extremely well made.

I can't remember the name of the light protector (the BMW light housing is expensive to replace...something like $400). I think it might be from Best of the Rest or something. Works well and easy to clean.

Also be real careful taking the wheels off, make sure you take off the ABS sensor first and tuck it out of the way. I didn't once and messed it up and had to replace it, BMW took care of it but it could have been an expensive mistake.

Hyper 1100
    KTM 450 XCW

Haven't done the oil yet. BMW Denver does it for free (came with the bike )

Taking out the air filter is pretty easy but you need a torx set to do it (like most other bolts and screws on the bike, almost all torx not allen heads)

Haven't really touched the chain either, just pop it on the center stand and oil it every so often Plus they put a new chain on about 1k ago.

Tool needs
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=392198

Parallel Universe (you probably already know about it)
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=415604

Hyper 1100
    KTM 450 XCW

Congrats!
    You are getting a great bike and will have a blast for sure!