Thread: Rollins Pass

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Rollins Pass

Quote Originally Posted by Bashed View Post
    I guess my question is, can you not find any other area's that you can ride in legaly? Why here, where you know it's wrong to be there?

I'm not sure I would feel right knowing I was riding in a closed area. Perhaps if I unknowingly got into somewhere through a back way not signed, but to ride in intentionally just isn't right. Don't get me wrong, I have done plenty wrong in my time, and am certainly no saint, but I think I have matured enough to know right from wrong, and now you are sharing information so that others can do the same, not cool.

No ego here, move along, nothing to see....

This is why people get hurt and lost, and us other taxpayers bail them out of thier pickle, there ambition outweighs thier talent.

Trust me ,he ain't that good. Average at best.

Shame on you. It is not cool! How would you like somebody riding through your backyard everyday? It is not right and it is a closed area.
    Appearently your desires are more important than what is right.

Not cool, not even a little.

This right here, is why more and more areas get closed to motorized use every year. People do and go wherever the hell they want, and then wonder and bitch when it gets closed, along with other roads like these. This is also why enviromental groups have leverage, they see people riding in closed areas, document it, and use it to keep them closed. You never know who sees you poaching, taking pictures.
    Thanks for scewing it up for the rest of us.
    I am not screwing it up for the rest of..."you" There are so many angles you could take up with this argument its not even funny. The funny thing is, that route is under discussion and has been approved to be re-open. Neither county(s) on the other hand wants to fund the effort though, and joint funding is at a standstill. So it remains closed. YEs bash you may "wander" in an area accidentily, and that is my story since there are no closure signs going from West to East. As far as fighting Non-Motorized companies, there are major companies who fight for non motorized use, such as REI and Cliff BAR. Funding is put aside strictly for land conservation. With CohVco, I've worked with them personally over the years and agree they do a very nice job fighting for out rights and helping out etc etc. Nothing bad to say about them. Also, I do not have a GPS to give my coordinates to Moddette. But if he wants to go for a ride, i"ll take him. Truth is the only way to get trails built and re-opened is to have someone who is pro motorized in the system. Which there are not to many in the federal services. BLM, FS, blah blah blah. We are going through the same crap with the closures of trails near Tabernash. Illegal trails, all GPSed, all layed out nicley. Funny thing is, they were put in by dirtbikes, and now dirtbikes are getting the cold shoulder from bicyclers, hikers...etc. Its dumb and the trails are now closed. Some reasons
    1. New Land owners not likeing trails going through private property.. even 1/10 mi on the furthest corner. Legal Re-routes are a bitch to deal with
    2. Hunters,
    3. Bicycles, there shit doesnt stink
    3. Noise (which will always be an issue)
    Anyway enjoy the photos
    www.chuckdavisrestorations.com

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Go Stoner #27 "The Absolute Intercontinental Ballistic Missile of MotoGP!"

Go Sykes #66 2013 WSBK Champion. Go Green!

Well damn I cant figure out how to get my photos from the CD on here. Hopefully soon. Any help?

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

On the contrary, modette....from the COHVCO web site. Yes, it's dated but perhaps you will contact Mr. Ryther to see where this is at. Or maybe no one showed up at the meeting to rep motorcyclists? You can bet the anit-access forces showed up. If they have 100 and we have 3, I don't have to tell you the outcome.

To interested parties,

I am a Gilpin County resident and am contacting you to propose an idea some of us have been working on to help the reopening of Rollins Pass Road. In my conversations with the various entities involved, the consensus seems to be there is a need to consolidate the various interests. I have had conversations with my county officials and USFS about this and they have expressed a serious interest. Also, I have
    communicated wit three off-road clubs, COHVCO, Colorado state Parks Grant Program, Colorado Railroad Museum, and the Nederland Area Historical Society. All of whom are strongly motivated to help.

Here is the basic idea. There are many groups with interest in the opening of this road, but the reality for USFS and county funding today is that there is little money available for a project of this scope. We propose the formation of a Management Committee representing these groups to work with USFS officials to open, preserve and maintain the road. Under the terms of a cost share agreement, this body could seek and secure grants, government funding and other resources, identify and plan routine maintenance and repair work with USFS and help with signage and education for the traveling or recreating public.

I believe the key to the realization of this project is a coordinated effort to concentrate the railroad, OHV and other interests and develop a plan to mitigate the concerns of Boulder County and others who are questioning who will take stewardship of this special place when the barriers are finally dispatched.

We are largely a group of local enthusiasts who are willing to be available and give of our time and talents, which range from structural engineering to transportation maintenance to excavation contractors, to fulfill the dream of reopening the Hill Route.

There will be a meeting of the Rollinsville Area Historical Society on 15 April at 2:00 PM at the Stage Stop in Rollinsville. Part of our discussion will include this proposal and I invite you to attend. There will be a meeting of the OHV committee on 19 April 2007 at 5:00 PM at the Boulder USFS Office to discuss the status of the reopening project.

I encourage you to come and speak on behalf of your interests. I have a good list of contacts and invite you to contact me for information or to discuss ideas. I want to bring this proposal formally before the USFS and the commissioners of the counties and hope you will consider getting involved. Thank You.

John W. Ryther
    16410 Hwy.119
    Golden,Co. 80403
    (303)642-0662
    *rytherj@hotmail.com*
    John
    KTM Duke 690

And krob, I don't agree with you that all mountain bikers are against motorized trail use. You know the enviros would be happy to see every inch of BLM and FS land designated Wilderness. Well, that shuts out MTB too. In many cases, IMBA is with us.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Quote Originally Posted by FZRguy View Post
    And krob, I don't agree with you that all mountain bikers are against motorized trail use. You know the enviros would be happy to see every inch of BLM and FS land designated Wilderness. Well, that shuts out MTB too. In many cases, IMBA is with us.
    I agree, ALL mountain bikers was not to smart of a statement. Well, there is about 6" of snow up there now so the riding up and over rollins is at a standstill.

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69