Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pics of Crash-6/9/11 Deckers

Re: Pics of Crash-6/9/11 Deckers

Awww...your BMW hat got ripped!

Board Newbie

So two people crashed in the same turn? With A clean road?

Damn, been there done that wrecking sucks! Glad you guys are okay!!

Quote Originally Posted by cbrjohnny View Post
    was it the chip seal road surface that caused this deckers crash?
    It contributed, but that corner (near mile marker 92) claims at least 5-10 bikes a year as riders descend towards Deckers from Woodland Park. It's a decreasing radius lefthander, and it is gravelly on the edges thanks to last year's chip n seal by CDOT.

Oh btw, CDOT went the wrong direction from nearby West Creek with the chip n seal. They went NW towards Deckers for 3.5 miles, placing the crud on sweet pavement that was only four years (2006) old at the time. They were supposed to head east for 3.5 miles, towards and past the cemetery, covering a surface that had not seen improvements since a surface was placed following the 2002 Hayman Fire. How about that horrible tar snake patch job they have in place since CDOT went the wrong direction.

glad you gents are OK...but any idea what caused it?

chip seal has plenty of grip...it just doesn't feel the greatest, and there aren't really any surprises on that section IIRC

Is it really a question of what caused it? C'mon...

Exposed Member Lifetime Supporter Bashed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sfarson View Post
    It contributed, but that corner (near mile marker 92) claims at least 5-10 bikes a year as riders descend towards Deckers from Woodland Park. It's a decreasing radius lefthander, and it is gravelly on the edges thanks to last year's chip n seal by CDOT.

Oh btw, CDOT went the wrong direction from nearby West Creek with the chip n seal. They went NW towards Deckers for 3.5 miles, placing the crud on sweet pavement that was only four years (2006) old at the time. They were supposed to head east for 3.5 miles, towards and past the cemetery, covering a surface that had not seen improvements since a surface was placed following the 2002 Hayman Fire. How about that horrible tar snake patch job they have in place since CDOT went the wrong direction.
    Quote Originally Posted by konaman View Post
    Here are the pics of chris' bike after he low sided it on the way to Deckers. Thankfully he was ok, now his bike was another story.
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrjohnny View Post
    was it the chip seal road surface that caused this deckers crash?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach929rr View Post
    That section doesn't really have much chip seal. The narly chip seal section is down towards Rainbow Falls. Those corners are just easy to overshoot AND easy to fixate in for some reason.
    As others have noted, expecially SFarson, that corner in paticular captures alot of bikes. When CDOT redid the road after the last major flooding and total redo, they, in my opinion, messed that turn up.

First, it is the first sharper corner coming into the narrows section.

Second, it starts off as a gradual left and then tightens up into a decreasing radius.

Third, right at the exit of the corner there is a huge culvert and depression on the wrecking line.

These three conditions exaggerate the potential for disaster. Before the total repave it was a smooth turn and not quite as sharp. In the last three years I have helped more than a dozen in that one corner, from sportbikes to harleys, due to wrecks. So please keep your wits about you and help keep the wrecking stats to a minimum. I glad you guys got away with minimal injuries.
    * Bash, Bashasaurus, Ms Bash, his neighbors or friends are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you being squidish, squid like, squirting ink, or waving your non-covered tentacles about in a squidy fashion. Nor is he or his associates responsible for any citations as a result of you hanging with SoCo. Any attempt to coerce, blame, question, or pin your loser-riffic behavior on any of us, or those who are considered us for the night, as well as people we like, to include Salma Hayek and Nicky Hayden, among others, will result in a profanity stricken series of post that mock and taunt you incessantly, as well as many of us adding such insults to our signature lines. Avoid taking SoCo before bedtime. Do not use if you experience faintness, dizziness, inverness, difficulty urinating or blotchy skin. If I steal a line, quote, avatar or image from a post you make on the internet, you're not getting credit.*

Brutal wrecks. Glad you guys are ok tho.

Dang Blue..Where did you go down?
    98 VFR 800 (Old faithful)
    06 Sprint ST 1050 (Sexual Chocolate)

Same turn as Chris. Better news, my bike is running! not ridable yet, but running! haha.
    91 FZR 600
    82 Custom XV750

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Sux guys, glad you're ok and the bikes aren't too bad.
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

heh.. decieving isn't it.. 13k(ish) in dammages to mine. Still up in the air on the total or not. Should know monday or Tuesday.. Hopefully. Blue, that's good to hear!

Quote Originally Posted by CYCLE_MONKEY View Post
    Sux guys, glad you're ok and the bikes aren't too bad.
    '95 Suziki GSXF 600 (Katana) (sold)
    '10 BMW S1000RR (aka. Black Betty) Thunder Grey (Totaled)
    '11 BMW S1000RR (aka Bumblebee) Shine Yellow

If you love something, set it free. If it comes back to you, you probably high sided.

May be a dumb question (I don't know all the routes around here that well yet) but can someone pin that turn on a google map and post it so I (and others) can see where it's at?

Oh yeah - glad you're all ok.
    "I'm not listening.
    You keep talking.
    How weird is that?"

Here it is... http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...2&ie=UTF8&z=14

Going north at speed as the curve tightens, can lure a few to run wide. Doesn't help there is crud on the edges left over from last year's chip/seal. As bashed notes a culvert/drain is in the "I'm off the road" line.

Quote Originally Posted by sfarson View Post
    Here it is... http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...2&ie=UTF8&z=14

Going north at speed as the curve tightens, can lure a few to run wide. Doesn't help there is crud on the edges left over from last year's chip/seal. As bashed notes a culvert/drain is in the "I'm off the road" line.
    Thanks - appreciate that.

I had a thought. It hurt, but I had it anyway. At the risk of hijacking this thread (not my intent!) It would be cool to see a thread on here, maybe a sticky, which maps some of the more common rides I hear people talk about. For example, I hear someone reference "deckers run", it would be nice to have a google map route to associate with that. It would help some people less familiar with the mountains to find some great routes to ride.
    "I'm not listening.
    You keep talking.
    How weird is that?"

Account Deactivated at users request Yearly Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post

I hear someone reference "deckers run", it would be nice to have a google map route to associate with that. It would help some people less familiar with the mountains to find some great routes to ride.
    Hey Kevin, I filmed some of the Deckers ride and you can see it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=zon3j3hyyik

I'm guessing the turn in question is somewhere in the last 4 minutes of the video. The video shows footage from Pine towards Woodland Park so it's probably the opposite direction from that which the guys who crashed were going, and I stopped filming where the road straightens out before the tar strips start.
    Last edited by GuitarX; Mon Jun 20th, 2011 at 06:09 AM.

It's also not a good idea to post up the exact routes most commonly taken on a public forum. Overcautious? Perhaps. But I won't post them. Go on rides.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Thanks - appreciate that.

I had a thought. It hurt, but I had it anyway. At the risk of hijacking this thread (not my intent!) It would be cool to see a thread on here, maybe a sticky, which maps some of the more common rides I hear people talk about. For example, I hear someone reference "deckers run", it would be nice to have a google map route to associate with that. It would help some people less familiar with the mountains to find some great routes to ride.

umm...

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/local/rides.html

Quote Originally Posted by OUTLAWD View Post
    Interesting, I didn't know we had this, thanks Dave!
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

Quote Originally Posted by Depths_of_Mind View Post
    heh.. decieving isn't it.. 13k(ish) in dammages to mine. Still up in the air on the total or not. Should know monday or Tuesday.. Hopefully. Blue, that's good to hear!
    No shit???? Wow, is the frame totalled? I'd say it's a total, almost the value of a new bike! It's TOTALLY decieving, it really doesn't look too bad. Best of luck with it!

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

All the more reason I want a 250, to learn to ride better. Ive been riding for 36 years and know I can still get better. People give me alot of crap when I say my 750 is too much for me, but I dont care. I try to make sure my target fixation is on where I want to be ( a concience effort sometimes) and concentrate on my riding. I will probably never be able to ride to the ability of my Gixxer and I have to trust her to do what she is able to, even though I may doubt myself. Glad you guys are OK
    Bashed Bikes, Fat Kids Inc., JDH Welding /Mental made me follow him into that corner... And then he followed me down that hill and then Dallas followed too!

Quote Originally Posted by OUTLAWD View Post
    Thanks! Very helpful!
    "I'm not listening.
    You keep talking.
    How weird is that?"

Quote Originally Posted by gsxrscott View Post
    All the more reason I want a 250, to learn to ride better. Ive been riding for 36 years and know I can still get better. People give me alot of crap when I say my 750 is too much for me, but I dont care.
    Absolutely! You will love it, they are a great learning tool even for someone who has been riding since the dawn of time. I have more fun on mine than almost any of the other bikes I have owned. I don't even want a liter bike, they scare the crap out of me
    Last edited by Bueller; Mon Jun 20th, 2011 at 10:03 AM.

when is that event going down?