Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Car Oil Filter?

Re: Car Oil Filter?

I love the flame wars... Especially the OP for flaming peeps, including Sully..... After one post. Real wiener there..... Good for entertainment, at the very least. Thanks
    '16 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
    '12 Kawasaki Concours14 -
    Sold
    '08 Kawasaki Concours14 -
    Sold
    '05 Suzuki SV1000S - Sold
    '07 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 - Sold

Senior Member cptschlongenheimer's Avatar

And you guys thought I was bad at making friends...
    89 EX500 RIP
    06 R6S RIP
    03 R6

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerinWstuff View Post
    My VFR loves 15w40 Rotella diesel oil, the same shit I pour in my Cummins. Shifts better on it than the semi synthetic lighter weight I pour in for winter riding.
    Hey now, that's blasphemy! According to all the resident guru's on here, you must be a douche bag for running rotella! you need to start spending $45 on motorcycle specific oil, or the COsportbike gods are going to pull your cred card!

Quote Originally Posted by vort3xr6 View Post
    http://www.amazon.com/Purolator-PL14.../dp/B000E8V9RG

http://www.amazon.com/KN-204-Motorcy.../dp/B000E2CVI8

Here is your fancy purolator for a whopping 60 cents OVER my supertech and, just a few dollars below the high line K&N.

Eat your foot and go ride your lowered bike hard. Brah.
    Actually, I pay right at $6 for my PL14610 from the local parts stores with a discount.

Let me check.... opened garage door, looked out, and hey what would ya know! a stock ride height stock wheel base sportbike. I can be carving squids through the corners, make a 15 minute pit stop, then be blowing by you on the drag strip and at land speed race events. Man, aren't adjustable parts awesome?

Carving squids? Like a Thanksgiving turkey? You're definitely the fastest bench racer I know...

Quote Originally Posted by vort3xr6 View Post
    Eat your foot

Ha... you're the one spouting off shit about filters, like you're an engineer for FRAM.

Probably would not do that. Filters are designed specific for pressures, volume, oil type, etc.
    What facts do you have to base this off of? Just curious. I've never heard of any of that. But what do I know? I'm just a nOOb on COsportbikes.

Quote Originally Posted by brennahm View Post
    Carving squids? Like a Thanksgiving turkey? You're definitely the fastest bench racer I know...
    Nah, I only fire back when someone prods me. The last time I bench raced I burned up my clutch. But if you would like to meet up sometime at a sanctioned race event, just let me know

Listen, I like using parts for cars that "work" on my bike and are cheaper. The way I figure if its will screw on its gotta work, ha, and trust me... I have done a lot of screwing.

Matter of fact I just got done with building my house and figured "man, with all this leftover wood I sure as hell could build a motorcycle with it. Would be a lot cheaper".

I was going to wait till the next bike night to unveil her but....
    Everyone meet Woodneana

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Quote Originally Posted by Ezzzzy1 View Post
    I have done a lot of screwing.
    That's not what she said.
    "With every broken bone, I swear I lived."

Quote Originally Posted by fiveninerzero View Post
    Every forum, car or bike I have been on, has a thread like this. And it never fails to turn into a flame war.
    I wonder what went wrong with this one?
    Quote Originally Posted by Adio1010 View Post
    Just wanna thank the following personell for the info they have given:

Vort3xr6- thanks I went with bosch
    Matt2778- touché
    Madvlad- useless
    Tfogguys- thanks but I'm good
    Ezzzzy1- you just waisted a couple seconds of my life, GTFO!
    Sully- Make your own thread with that dumb****
    Tinkerinwstuff- thanks for your input

The flaming is useless, your on the Internet grow the hell up

This is one of the dumbest pissing contests I've ever read....

Quote Originally Posted by Hibs View Post
    What facts do you have to base this off of? Just curious. I've never heard of any of that. But what do I know?
    What proof do you need? The filter is absolutely an important part of the oiling system. Some bikes send all oil through the filter before distributing to points in the engine. Some bikes like the old VF series Hondas only sent filtered oil to the main bearings while nonfiltered oil from the sump went to the cylinder heads. A change in flow by having a filter that can pass too much or not enough fluid would then impact how much oil goes to the cylinder head.

My WD Allis Chalmers filtered only the oil that was returning to the sump. The pump would pressurize the system and send oil to the lube points and any oil that squeezed out past the bearings dropped down the sump - the rest of the oil that made the complete journey through the system would travel through the filter and drop to the pan. When people tried to use high flow filters (must be a good idea - I'm filtering more oil right?), they dropped the pressure in their engine and took out motors.

Each engine designer has a lubrication system of their own and the filter plays an important part in the chain.

Having said that - I still believe that some bikes have an automotive equivalent that will work equally as well as one with an OEM name on it.
    Last edited by TinkerinWstuff; Tue Jun 14th, 2011 at 08:16 AM. Reason: grammer - good/well
    1998 VFR800 Interceptor - resurrected and custom tail http://vfrworld.com/forums/5th-gener...98-vfr800.html

1999 DR650SE

I was getting excited there for a minute, but I guess we scared him off.
    '12 BMW S 1000 RR
    '11 Suzuki V-Strom DL-650 *SOLD*
    '07 Aprilia RSV R Factory *SOLD*

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerinWstuff View Post
    What proof do you need? The filter is absolutely an important part of the oiling system. Some bikes send all oil through the filter before distributing to points in the engine. Some bikes like the old VF series Hondas only sent filtered oil to the main bearings while nonfiltered oil from the sump went to the cylinder heads. A change in flow by having a filter that can pass too much or not enough fluid would then impact how much oil goes to the cylinder head.

My WD Allis Chalmers filtered only the oil that was returning to the sump. The pump would pressurize the system and send oil to the lube points and any oil that squeezed out past the bearings dropped down the sump - the rest of the oil that made the complete journey through the system would travel through the filter and drop to the pan. When people tried to use high flow filters, they dropped the pressure in their engine and took out motors.

Each engine designer has a lubrication system of their own and the filter plays an important part in the chain.

Having said that - I still believe that some bikes have an automotive equivalent that will work equally as good as one with an OEM name on it.
    Ok Bill Nye, so tell me, what pressure does a purolator PL14610 flow at? How does this compare vs your K&N or OEM? I want facts, not hearsay.

Ok Bill Nye, so tell me, what pressure does a purolator PL14610 flow at? How does this compare vs your K&N or OEM? I want facts, not hearsay.
    Flow and pressure are two different functions and dependent on the pump volume and oil type of said engine they are installed on.
    1998 VFR800 Interceptor - resurrected and custom tail http://vfrworld.com/forums/5th-gener...98-vfr800.html

1999 DR650SE

Maybe Dirk can take off his astrophysicist hat. We need the fluid dynamics hat to explain it in a more technical fashion I guess.

1999 DR650SE

The proof is on the package that reads the filter is for a 1981 mustang (god I love that car)... That car needs a certain flow at a certain pressure. That filter is made for that car and that pressure. Numbers aside you are just guessing that because it fits its working.

I would also assume the purolator made for an 81 stang has the same flow rate as the K&N and OEM. Why.... BECAUSE THATS WHAT THAT MOTOR CALLS FOR!

Let me check.... opened garage door, looked out, and hey what would ya know! a stock ride height stock wheel base sportbike. I can be carving squids through the corners, make a 15 minute pit stop, then be blowing by you on the drag strip and at land speed race events. Man, aren't adjustable parts awesome?
    Ya I would rather drag race/land speed race/street cruise then tear up the twisties. I used to ride the twisties hard back in the day but just not worth the risk doing it on the street anymore IMO. I would love to build a road race bike some day when the money allows. For now, the 12 does great for what I like. I am seriously thinking about making the 12r strictly a street bike though and getting a zx14 to make a dedicated drag race/land speed race bike.
    Can you teach me to be pro like you?
    Last edited by Vellos; Tue Jun 14th, 2011 at 08:50 AM.
    George Mock | 2008 ZX6R | GoPro Hero | 3:551 5806

From WIX

When new, the media with a maximized number of pleats has less than 2 psi pressure drop when filtering oil at a rate of 4 g.p.m. at normal operating temperature. This low initial restriction to oil flow protects the vital engine parts more effectively.
    http://www.wixfilters.com/productinf...ilfilters.html

1999 DR650SE

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    This is one of the dumbest pissing contests I've ever read....
    Cake rules. pie drools!
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

Your Purolator is 3.25 inches long.

My supertech is 2.5 inches long.

Different lengths, change the flow rate because you have a larger filter.

The oil pump is a fixed displacement pump. e.g. 2 cu" of pump displacement x 100 rpm = 200 cubic inches of oil flowing per minute (1 US gal. = 231 cubic inches).

So then the argument could be made that a larger oil filter with the same pump rate, will have a slower flow rate. You might get more life out of your oil filter but you are NOT filtering your oil as much as a smaller filter. I don't know about you but I will take more filtration over longer oil filter life.

I'm really confused how you're going about this discussion. Getting thin skinned and combative isn't helping you here.

I use RotellaT diesel oil in my motorcycle, not because I believe oil is oil. I do it because the certifications on the back of the bottle it ships in shows that the shear strength of the polymers meets the requirements of my motorcycle engine. Oils that are not manufactured to meet certain specifications would shear and tear between the gears in a motorcycle engine. Also oils with friction modifier additives would cause problems with the clutch.

It's about doing your research. I was on your side and believe there is an equivalent automotive filter for many bikes. But because they don't advertise the properties of each filter it's difficult to do the appropriate research and know that two filters actually meet the same specifications. I wouldn't take the word of some guy on the interwebz.

By the way - some of you may be interested to know that the API has changed the certifications of engine oil. "Energy Conserving" oil that had the friction modifiers which are bad for motorcycle clutches - has now been replaced by the term "Resource Conserving"

http://www.canadianoil.se/Bulletiner...ioner_2011.pdf

1999 DR650SE

I use T6 too. I'm only on my first oil change with the bike, but seems good for now.

Nah, I only fire back when someone prods me. The last time I bench raced I burned up my clutch. But if you would like to meet up sometime at a sanctioned race event, just let me know
    Wow. You ARE a guy! I'd love to race but I only street race for pinks, there's too many rules and shiz at the "sanctioned events". How am I supposed to feel my clutch with my gloves on? I'll meet you at 16th & Washington, 5:30 sharp.

Or maybe you want to meet up and have a good ol' fist fight? Then you could really show me what a man you are. Hey Swift, you want in on this too?