Thread: 1987 Yamaha FZ 750 Project Bike

1987 Yamaha FZ 750 Project Bike

So I picked up my project bike tonight. It has been sitting garaged for quite some time, but appears to be a very clean bike to work with. Not real sure what direction I will take it, but for now I guess I will just start going through it and getting it road worthy. Needs a battery, but friend is donating one. Gas in the tank and fuel system needs to go. I am sure the carbs will need a little work. I know there is plenty more to do and check like brakes and all that good stuff, but that is a start. Any other suggestions or thoughts on what you might do with it.

Re: 1987 Yamaha FZ 750 Project Bike

The tank isn't rusty? Man, polish her up and ride!

Man honestly finding one of those bikes in that good of condition is a very big rarity. You should definitely try to get it back into original condition.

Restore she's beutiful. I am volentering tools and shop time if you should need help let me know. I'm trying to learn as much as possable about working on bikes and love older sport bikes for some reason.
    A good long ride can clear your mind, restore your faith and use up a lot of fuel.
    A good rider has balance, judgment, and good timing. So does a good lover.

Quote Originally Posted by rfranks303 View Post
    Restore she's beutiful. I am volentering tools and shop time if you should need help let me know. I'm trying to learn as much as possable about working on bikes and love older sport bikes for some reason.
    Yea I am definitely not looking to cut it up or go to off the wall with it. The classic look was the reason I bought it so original is the primary direction. for the price I picked it up for I really couldnt go wrong. Looks like it was last registered July of 02, so its been sitting a while. I have an 08 Gixxr 600 but other than maintenance, there isn't much to do on it. I think going through it and making sure everything works and that its not going to leave me in a ditch is a good idea. I want to ride it, but I don,t want it to eat a gaurdrail because I was impatient.

Very nice. New tires would be at the top of my parts list.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Quote Originally Posted by FZRguy View Post
    Very nice. New tires would be at the top of my parts list.
    Yea I figured once I had it up and running before I did anything more than cruise it around the neighborhood, I would get new tires. They don't look bad, but they are pretty old. I will start pricing them out. I am thinking they should be considerably less than the gixxr's.

That is a beautiful bike... if I were you, I'd keep that thing completely stock. Bikes like that are getting more and more rare.
    As for cleaning out the engine, I've heard that sea foam can work wonders.

fix it
    ride it
    love it
    /thread
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Restore! DO NOT PAINT!!!!

We picked up a FZ600 in all original shape for Jeska to learn on. When she was done and ready for a new bike a collector drove from Aspen in a blizzard to buy it. He had been looking for a complete and original one for years.

The FZ750 is an even more rare bike. Your bike was made and imported during the tarriff days. The Govt. was trying to help revive Harley Davidson and imposed a tarriff on any motorcycle over 700cc being imported. This made 700+cc bikes almost prohibitively expensive to sell here in the U.S. The few bikes they did import in that era were 1000cc bikes. The "middle weight" class became 700cc bikes and 750s were almost non existant for several years. Even back in the day it was kinda rare to see a FZ750, even more so today.

I would not molest this bike. Keep it looking the way it is. Ride and enjoy. You will get LOTS of attention from those that really know what it is.

EDIT: I had an FZX700 of the same year with that same "Genesis" 5-valve motor back then. I put over 100,000 miles on it. STRONG motor for its time and should do well today! (does not like wheelies, it will crack the output shaft bearing which can only be replaced by rebuilding the motor.....guess how I know).
    Last edited by Xtremjeepn; Thu Jun 16th, 2011 at 02:33 PM.
    Cole
    07 R1 .....now KTM 950 ADV!!!
    07 WeeeeeeStrom!
    2x KLR650s
    www.MotumMagazine.com

Thanks all good information. I figured it was a good buy when I picked it up, but that just makes it all the better. No worries on the wheelies. I like to keep both tires on the ground.

Wink Re: 1987 Yamaha FZ 750 Project Bike

Just some detail I found about the tariff of the 80s.

Description of the Tariff
    In September of 1982, Harley-Davidson petitioned the U.S. International Trade Commission (ITC) for relief from the importation of heavyweight motorcycles and power-train subassemblies (an engine part). The petition was filed under Section 201 of the Trade Act of 1974, known as the "Escape Clause," which allows an industry to request import relief from foreign competition when increasing imports are causing or threatening serious injury to the domestic industry. In these cases, the ITC investigates the claim and then reports to the president. If the finding is affirmative, the executive branch examines the matter and the president makes a decision within 60 days.
    After its hearing on November 30, 1982, the ITC found that Harley-Davidson made up 75 percent of the American motorcycle industry (as measured in terms of capital and labor). The rest of the industry is composed of one Honda plant and one Kawasaki plant. On January 19, 1983, the ITC concluded by a vote of two to one that imports of heavyweight cycles, but not power-train subassemblies, posed a substantial threat to the American motorcycle industry.[14]
    To provide relief, the ITC recommended the following five-year tariff plan for heavyweight motorcycles: Raise the current tariff of 4.4 percent to 49.4 percent and keep it there for a year; lower the rate to 39.4 percent in the second year, to 24.4 percent in the third year, to 19.4 percent in the fourth year, and to 14.4 percent in the fifth year. After the fifth year the tariff is to return to 4.4 percent.
    On April 1, 1983, President Reagan adopted the ITC recommendation, with minor alterations. Appended were provisions to lessen the impact of the federal relief on small foreign suppliers. The order allows 5,000 West German motorcycles each year to come in without duty increases, with the allowance rising to 6,000 in the second year, 7,000 in the third year, 8,500 in the fourth year, and 10,000 in the fifth year. It also allows 4,000 units from Britain and Italy to come in at the old rate (increasing by 1,000 units annually for five years). Japan is to be permitted to send 6,000 units (increasing by 1,000 units annually) to the United States at the old duty. In 1982, 80 percent of the imported heavyweight motorcycles were Japanese. With the provisions that were added to the ITC plan, the tariff affects trade with the Japanese companies almost exclusively.

1983 - Harley-Davidson successfully petitions the International Trade Commission (ITC) for tariff relief, which is granted April 1, 1983. The tariff, scheduled to end five years later, is placed on all imported Japanese motorcycles 700cc or larger as a response to Japanese motorcycle manufacturers stockpiling inventories of unsold motorcycles in the United States.
    Cole
    07 WeeeeeeStrom!
    2x KLR650s
    www.MotumMagazine.com

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Along with new tires check

-rubber brake hoses (replace if ANY cracks are present)
    -caliper seals - where the pistons go in. Again, if these are starting to fail replace them / rebuild the calipers.
    - fork seals
    -Throttle / clutch cables
    -brake pads

That is where I would start.

I too would leave the thing alone as much as possible. That bike is a great find and will draw attention anywhere you take it.

s

ape hangers
    I have no idea what you're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by rybo View Post
    Along with new tires check

-rubber brake hoses (replace if ANY cracks are present)
    -caliper seals - where the pistons go in. Again, if these are starting to fail replace them / rebuild the calipers.
    - fork seals
    -Throttle / clutch cables
    -brake pads

That is where I would start.

I too would leave the thing alone as much as possible. That bike is a great find and will draw attention anywhere you take it.

s
    I thought I would have my work cut out for me replacing some of the above noted items, but this guy took care of his shit. So far I have not found any thing that needs to be replaced except battery and gas. It like he fixed it up and then just let it sit. Maybe I should have just titled this thread "Clean 1987 Yamaha FZ 750"

Thumbs up Re: 1987 Yamaha FZ 750 Project Bike

This was the first bike I purchased brand new back in 87. In 3 years I put 27k miles on the bike and never had a problem. Loved the bike, even had the same Tires, Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by DRKATO1 View Post
    This was the first bike I purchased brand new back in 87. In 3 years I put 27k miles on the bike and never had a problem. Loved the bike, even had the same Tires, Lol.
    I many ways one of the best motors Yamaha built!
    Cole
    07 WeeeeeeStrom!
    2x KLR650s
    www.MotumMagazine.com

Well I really cannot be dissapointed. I drained the gas, replaced a 30 amp main fuse, bleed the hydraulic clutch and the bike fired right up. Topped off the tires and took it for a cruise around the neighborhood. Rode pretty good for a 24 year old bike. I think the front forks will need to be rebuilt as it was rough coming into the driveway, but other than that it seems to be a solid ride.
    Now I just need to get down to the DMV and get it registered, so I can take it for a more telling ride.

Sweet!
    Cole
    07 WeeeeeeStrom!
    2x KLR650s
    www.MotumMagazine.com

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Riverdog View Post
    Well I really cannot be dissapointed. I drained the gas, replaced a 30 amp main fuse, bleed the hydraulic clutch and the bike fired right up. Topped off the tires and took it for a cruise around the neighborhood. Rode pretty good for a 24 year old bike.
    Awesome. Great to see unmolested bikes from that era revived. I watched Eddie Lawson on an FZ 750 battle it out with Kevin Schwantz on the new GSX-R 750 at the Daytona 200 back in 1986.
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Quote Originally Posted by Riverdog View Post
    Well I really cannot be dissapointed. I drained the gas, replaced a 30 amp main fuse, bleed the hydraulic clutch and the bike fired right up. Topped off the tires and took it for a cruise around the neighborhood. Rode pretty good for a 24 year old bike. I think the front forks will need to be rebuilt as it was rough coming into the driveway, but other than that it seems to be a solid ride.
    Now I just need to get down to the DMV and get it registered, so I can take it for a more telling ride.
    Hope you put in new oil first, and maybe even put a little in the cylinders thru the sparkplugs or the intakes first.

Those were cool bikes, I remember seeing them fairly often when I was riding my new GSXR-1100 around back in the day. Yours looks in great shape, best of luck with it! Good to see the old iron out there. wish I had my '86, but the divorce/bankruptcy/foreflosure made me sell it.

And for Dirk, i remember those battles well, though I never got to see that Daytona race in person, but saw some at Willow Springs and Lagune Seca.
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

[QUOTE=CYCLE_MONKEY;578974]Hope you put in new oil first, and maybe even put a little in the cylinders thru the sparkplugs or the intakes first.

Well in my haste to pick it up and and get it home, I missed a few things. I have since talked to my friends wife and he kept a maintenance log book on everything he did to the bike. Looks like every spring he changed the oil and did some general maintenance. His wife said he would take it out for a quick neighborhood ride once a year, but that is all the action it has seen since 2002.

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

[QUOTE=Riverdog;579151]
    Quote Originally Posted by CYCLE_MONKEY View Post
    Hope you put in new oil first, and maybe even put a little in the cylinders thru the sparkplugs or the intakes first.

Well in my haste to pick it up and and get it home, I missed a few things. I have since talked to my friends wife and he kept a maintenance log book on everything he did to the bike. Looks like every spring he changed the oil and did some general maintenance. His wife said he would take it out for a quick neighborhood ride once a year, but that is all the action it has seen since 2002.
    Well, that's generally one of the things you like to do after a long storage period. Not mandatory, as it should build oil pressure in a few seconds, but since the cylinder walls and everything else is completely dry it's a real good idea if you can. Hope it all works out for ya, it looks nice!
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)