Thread: Something to think about...

a specific position or point in physical space

Something to think about...

This article was in the Gazette Thursday morning, for your added information and situational awareness.

Check out this website: www.PikesPeakRiders.com.

Only about 3 percent of the vehicles on El Paso County roads are motorcycles, yet, in the past few years, 30 percent of the area's traffic fatalities have been motorcyclists.

In response to the 24 deaths since 2009, the El Paso County Public Health Department is launching a “Let’s Ride Safe” campaign.

Funded by a grant from the Colorado Department of Transportation, the campaign aims to educate riders about the need for professional training in operating a motorcycle and the benefits of wearing safety equipment.

Close to 40 percent of Colorado motorcyclists killed in crashes from 2008 to 2010 did not have a motorcycle license as required by law. Statewide, motorcyclists were at fault in 71 percent of fatal crashes.

Recent motorcycle deaths within El Paso County occurred June 8, involving a 53-year-old Colorado Springs man.

A 19-year-old Fort Carson soldier and a 53-year-old Colorado Springs man were also killed in motorcycle accidents during Memorial Day weekend this year.

“These deaths are tragedies and are devastating reminders for all motorists to be more aware on the road. Our collaborative efforts are aimed at preventing these types of deaths,” said Dan Martindale, deputy director for El Paso County Public Health.

CDOT is debuting a new tool this year to help riders – the first-ever motorcycle skill rating map of Colorado. The motorcycle skill rating map offers riders important information regarding popular motorcycles routes and skills that may be necessary to travel the state’s roadways safely. It was developed with input from A Brotherhood Active Towards Education (ABATE) of Colorado, a motorcyclist rights and education group, and the Colorado Sportbike Club.

CDOT provides motorcycle training at a lower cost for Colorado residents and active duty military personnel through its Motorcycle Operator Safety Training program. Riders who pass a class can receive an endorsement from a state driver’s license office without needing further testing.

For more information about the CDOT skill map and rider training, visit www.PikesPeakRiders.com.

Read more: http://www.gazette.com/articles/deaths-119803-percent-county.html#ixzz1PSt436f8
    9/7 MotoGP Fan
    "Four wheels move the body...Two wheels move the soul"

http://www.lubedealer.com/otg_oil_lube

Re: Something to think about...

Very cool. I don't believe the "73% of accidents are the motorcyclists fault" but I'm sure that's how the accidents are written up. Still, very good things happening there.

Quote Originally Posted by brennahm View Post
    Very cool. I don't believe the "73% of accidents are the motorcyclists fault" but I'm sure that's how the accidents are written up. Still, very good things happening there.
    I would guess the number is more like 90%. If riders learn how to pay attention and anticipate the hazards around them, their likelihood of survival is greatly enhanced. I know it would make the world safer for us if the car guys would learn to friggin drive, but that ain't gonna happen any time soon. My personal experience is that there are few hazards a rider can't avoid if they are paying attention and proactively riding with safety in mind.
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

Quote Originally Posted by TFOGGuys View Post
    I would guess the number is more like 90%. If riders learn how to pay attention and anticipate the hazards around them, their likelihood of survival is greatly enhanced. I know it would make the world safer for us if the car guys would learn to friggin drive, but that ain't gonna happen any time soon. My personal experience is that there are few hazards a rider can't avoid if they are paying attention and proactively riding with safety in mind.
    By that logic you're assigning fault based on the fact that the Motorcyclists, in the majority of cases, did things like not see the car that rear-ended and killed them, so it's their fault for not anticipating and being aware of the threat?
    Last edited by Sarge; Sat Jun 18th, 2011 at 09:52 AM.
    '12 BMW S 1000 RR
    '11 Suzuki V-Strom DL-650 *SOLD*
    '07 Aprilia RSV R Factory *SOLD*

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    By that logic you're assigning fault based on the fact that the Motorcyclists, in the majority of cases, did things like not see the car that rear-ended and killed them, so it's their fault for not anticipating and being aware of the threat?
    I think what TFOG was saying is that for the most part, most accidents are the motorcyclist fault.

Getting rear-ended at a light, is not a motorcyclist fault. Loosing it in a corner because you over cooked it and there was sand on the road, is. I mean think about it, every time someone goes down where they are the sole party in the accident, it's usually rider error. And I'm not talking about traffic accidents in town. Because that's just what they are accidents. I'm talking about the countless threads that have been posted, or the countless stories I've heard of someone going for a canyon run, only to tossed off their bike because of "insert reason here".

I'm not trying to play Devil's Advocate here but for the most part. Look at the factors where motorcyclists go down. Speed, lack of rider ability, not paying attention, etc. etc.

I've been down twice. Both times were my fault. One was at PMI during a track day, where I let my guard down and it came back to bite me in the ass. The second was going to work on a warm November day. Sand was in the intersection and I lost it as I went through turning at the light. Both were my fault, and both had factors that caused it. Going down at the race track really needs to explanation, because obviously it's the race track. But going to work, I should have been "paying more attention" to the road conditions and noticed the sand from earlier snow storms was still on the road.

That's what I think TFOG was trying to get at. Most of the time, it's our own fault when we go down. Plain and simple, it happens. I know we all like to believe we have mad epic riding skills and that we can handle anything. But it's that mindset that gets us in trouble. I should know, been there, done that and got the t-shirt.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    In some cases, yes. Being too close to the vehicle in front of you, not paying attention to your mirrors, not having an escape plan, sitting with the bike in neutral at a stoplight, all are contributing factors to being rear ended. Hyperawareness is a very good survival strategy when you are a small fish in a see of much larger sharks...

I have on at least 2 occasions avoided being rear ended by inattentive drivers by using my "escape route".
    Last edited by TFOGGuys; Sat Jun 18th, 2011 at 03:44 PM.
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

If a moron goes out without a license and kills himself on a motorcycle... he isn't a motorcyclist just a darwin award applicant.

They would save more motorcyclists if they actually stopped and prosecuted distracted drivers (who are proven WORSE than drunk drivers). Last summer killed an unprecedented number of motorcyclists in the area... at the hands of texting and phoning and otherwise incompetent drivers. The only motorcyclist I know personally who was killed some years ago... was killed by a truck who intentionally ran him off the road as my friend was passing (legally) in Boulder Canyon.

If I crash my own bike doing something stupid... it really mostly just kills (or so far just hurts) me. The cars kill others. The law should not be focused on the danger you might pose to yourself... but the danger cars and trucks pose to everybody around them. When was the last time a guy on a motorcycle killed someone in a car??

4 RG500, 2 TZR250-2MA, NS250R, DT250, G4-TR100,
    rip RGV250, sold TZR250-3MA TS250 MR250 XL500

Quote Originally Posted by edj View Post
    They would save more motorcyclists if they actually stopped and prosecuted distracted drivers (who are proven WORSE than drunk drivers).

When was the last time a guy on a motorcycle killed someone in a car??
    waiting for "someone else" to step in to fix the problem with distracted drivers is a horrible idea. that would be like saying we she stop and prosecute all child abductors instead of teaching our kids not to talk to strangers. im not saying that cagers dont need more education but that isnt the only thing that needs to be done. motorcycle riders need more education as well, riding proactively, offensively, anticipating that car or truck to move into your lane and riding so that other drivers can see you ....thats how everyone should ride. it amazes me how many times i have actually been let off for speeding by cops, just because they rarely see someone with an actual endorsement on their license.

and cagers die all the time from motorcycles T-boning them at high speeds when a cager pulls out to make a turn or is trying to beat a light.
    THE HIGHER...... THE FEWER

"But I, being poor, have only my dreams,
    I have spread my dreams under your feet,
    tread softly because you tread on my dreams."
    -Yeats

"HOW IS IT POSSIBLE...... I STILL HAVE SO MUCH TO LEARN ???"

Quote Originally Posted by leviathin View Post
    and cagers die all the time from motorcycles T-boning them at high speeds when a cager pulls out to make a turn or is trying to beat a light.
    And that is the motorcyclists fault? You prove my point... which is go after those who cause harm, not those who might harm themselves.

I have 2 friends who have t-boned cars... one at pretty high speed on a gold wing. Both by drivers who aren't paying attention, pull off the road to the right and then without signaling or slowing pull a u-turn in front of them (I've seen a nederland cop who did the same thing to in front of someone in order to go after some 'dangerous' speeder nearly causing a big accident). The drivers never seem to get very hurt... but the riders get quite hurt (both friends are well-recovered though one stopped motorcycling from that).

Teaching people not to drink-and-drive hasn't stopped drunk driving. Only heavy-enforcement made any dent yet people still drink and drive. Teaching people not to drive distracted haven't stopped people... people have to learn for themselves or from some form of enforcement. And those horrible drunk drivers society is all worried about... are nothing compared to the distracted drivers (who don't even know they are distracted).

Rider education is certainly good and cannot hurt anyone... but drivers are the ones killing other people almost all of the time and it will take more than education to prevent that.

4 RG500, 2 TZR250-2MA, NS250R, DT250, G4-TR100,
    rip RGV250, sold TZR250-3MA TS250 MR250 XL500

Quote Originally Posted by TFOGGuys View Post
    In some cases, yes. Being too close to the vehicle in front of you, not paying attention to your mirrors, not having an escape plan, sitting with the bike in neutral at a stoplight, all are contributing factors to being rear ended. Hyperawareness is a very good survival strategy when you are a small fish in a see of much larger sharks...

I have on at least 2 occasions avoided being rear ended by inattentive drivers by using my "escape route".
    I get that, and I was in no means trying to start a flame war. I agree fully that too many unskilled (and unwilling to learn) riders are on the roads today, but I also feel that even among those, cagers cause more accidents. I think the 70% in favor of motorcyclists statistic is a little skewed against the motorcyclists. Think about it, a cager makes an illegal left turn, motorcycle slams into cager and motorcyclist dies, all too often, even WITH witnesses, blame is assigned to the motorcyclist for speeding or something likely even irrelevent to the accident. Granted, the rider should have anticipated it, but it still wasn't his fault, but he paid the price anyway and the cager lives another day to cut somebody else off illegally.
    '12 BMW S 1000 RR
    '11 Suzuki V-Strom DL-650 *SOLD*
    '07 Aprilia RSV R Factory *SOLD*