Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Triple Nickel (HWY 555) Ohio

Question Triple Nickel (HWY 555) Ohio

I know this is "Colorado" sport bike club. I am currently home in Ohio, and I was wondering if anyone heard of/ridden HWY 555 "Triple Nickel" in Ohio? It is like a 3 hour ride just to get to from where I am, but I wanted to see if it is even worth the effort of me venturing down that way.

Bueller...Anyone done this?
    Imma girl....so what! What's your next question?

Re: Triple Nickel (HWY 555) Ohio

I haven't ridden 555, but years ago was all over the area in a company car. SE Ohio is twisty central, and considered one of the finest riding destinations in the region, if not the country. 555 is famous for its curves. One of these days I'll be riding it. If you have a free day, I would go for it.

Thanks. Then it looks like I will be making the trip to southern Ohio. Up north there isnt really much. I have been reading up on it via the net, but that isnt always the same. As long as tomorrow's plan for rain doesnt happen, I will be heading south to ride 555. Thanks again for replying.

Tj

Have a good ride. If you have a chance, let us know your impressions. There are other sweet roads in the area as well. Could easily make it an overnighter. Athens is ground zero for much of the riding action in the area. Marietta on the Ohio River would be at the south end. Could make your way there, then return.

I'm from Ohio but not familiar with 555. We used to LOVE riding Rt 646 (in the east) back in the day. There are some surprisingly good roads in the eastern hills of Ohio. 646 has a lot of twists and sweepers. It was repaved 2 years ago too. We rode it after the repave and it was a blast.

555 is an awesome road. Many of the roads ending up in Marietta are a blast. Also check out some of the roads heading east out of Ohio into PA and WV. If you get a chance hit the road that runs through The Wilds, it's a great road. Not much traffic, not many cops make SE Ohio roads some of the best in the country.
    "That which does not kill you only postpones the inevitable."

Quote Originally Posted by sfarson View Post
    Have a good ride. If you have a chance, let us know your impressions. There are other sweet roads in the area as well. Could easily make it an overnighter. Athens is ground zero for much of the riding action in the area. Marietta on the Ohio River would be at the south end. Could make your way there, then return.
    Definitely. I will take pictures and post them. It looks like I will have to spend a couple days down in the southern part. Since it took me longer then expected to do services on my bike, I will head down that way Monday and spend the night.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCBX View Post
    I'm from Ohio but not familiar with 555. We used to LOVE riding Rt 646 (in the east) back in the day. There are some surprisingly good roads in the eastern hills of Ohio. 646 has a lot of twists and sweepers. It was repaved 2 years ago too. We rode it after the repave and it was a blast.
    555 is down in the same general direction as 646, but west of 646. Like I said before I am gonna do an over night trip down in southern part, so I will check out 646. I looked at it an google maps it looks legit.

Quote Originally Posted by Cars-R-Coffins View Post
    555 is an awesome road. Many of the roads ending up in Marietta are a blast. Also check out some of the roads heading east out of Ohio into PA and WV. If you get a chance hit the road that runs through The Wilds, it's a great road. Not much traffic, not many cops make SE Ohio roads some of the best in the country.
    I will be heading south on Monday for an overnight trip to check out these roads. Yea, I have noticed cops are nothing like back in Colorado here. Yesterday cars were flying by a cop on the freeway and he did nothing. Also, from talking to a mc guy yesterday, he said that the cops don't really harass bikes here.

The only curve I got by my house is Dead Man's Curve, it's one 35mph on the freeway. I rode it a couple times yesterday. It is sad that when I went through the first time a sportbike rider behind me gave me a thumps up as he putt through it and sped by on the straightaway.

I will let y'all know how it is and if there are any other places that are a must in SE part of Ohio while I am down that way let me know, because I am on vacation and open to all suggestions.

Thanks.

TJ
    Last edited by Concabar; Sat Jun 18th, 2011 at 01:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Concabar View Post

The only curve I got by my house is Dead Man's Curve, it's one 35mph on the freeway. I rode it a couple times yesterday. It is sad that when I went through the first time a sportbike rider behind me gave me a thumps up as he putt through it and sped by on the straightaway.
    Cleveland? PM inbound.

Yep Cleveland

This is my tentative planned route to take on Monday.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...8,2.705383&z=9

That'll be a long, fun ride. I wish I were going.
    Last edited by Cars-R-Coffins; Sun Jun 19th, 2011 at 03:27 AM.

Yea I hope so, all these roads are unknown to me. But they shouldn't be too busy since it will be a work day

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

I lived in Cleveland for 12 miserable years, and used to have to go thru Dead Man's curve twice every week day for over 6 months. That's the dumbest corner ever, especially in winter when the spray from Lake Erie freezess all over the hwy.

Anyways, there's a Quaker Steak & Lube in Valley View and they have amazing mike nights, and there some decent riding south of there. Basically, the only real riding is down in Amish country, Berlin, Millersburg, and around Cincy out in the sticks. There's some pretty good roads, though tight and not as scenic as here. I can't remember any of the road numbers, but just zoom in on google and look for the squiggly ones. Just watch out for the fresh piles of horseshit on the roads in the Amish areas from the horse and buggy's.

Have fun and be safe!
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

Should be a great ride TJ. That should be an interesting and fun trip.

I actually miss some of my Ohio, West Virginia and Penn. roads.

Ya will see tomorrow as long as the weather holds up and it stops pouring rain here. I'm super excited to do this tomorrow. Will take pictures. If it all fairs well, I am gonna plot out another route before I leave.

Cycle, I hear you on that. I don't miss Ohio much anymore after living in Alaska and Colorado. But I have to comeback from time to time to see my family, and this being the first time I had a bike to bring back, I must take advantage of the opportunity.
    Last edited by Concabar; Sun Jun 19th, 2011 at 06:00 PM.

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Quote Originally Posted by Concabar View Post
    Ya will see tomorrow as long as the weather holds up and it stops pouring rain here. I'm super excited to do this tomorrow. Will take pictures. If it all fairs well, I am gonna plot out another route before I leave.

Cycle, I hear you on that. I don't miss Ohio much anymore after living in Alaska and Colorado. But I have to comeback from time to time to see my family, and this being the first time I had a bike to bring back, I must take advantage of the opportunity.
    Wish I could remember the road #'s, but t=you should be able to find 'em on a map. I HATED living there, almost as much as living in Idaho Falls. But, if you can find the roads down south, they're pretty nice and twisty. Make sure you hit a bike night at the 'Lube for some food and bikes if you can.

Have fun and be safe!
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

TRIPLE NICKEL = BUST

I completed that posted ride, and did it take a long time. Triple Nickel (Ohio 555) was horrible. Horse poo (expected), gravel, rocks, boulders, pot holes, amish people and their horse and buggies (expected), and construction and road closures. 555, was the last leg of my route with twisties, so by time I got to it, I was already ready to get home so I took it slow. The road conditions were the worst out of all the road I been on during the ride. There were a lot of unmarked tight turns, especially going over hills. There were a couple of turns that I should have went down, but saved it. 2 times were coming up over a hill fairly slow, and hitting rocks while going through a sharp decreasing turn.

Everything before that was great. Awesome condition, well maintained roads. I can't remember all the routes, but the one that stuck out the most was Ohio 260, a great amount of twistes. I actually clapped at the end of that route.

OHIO 260 = SUCCESS

I took a few pictures and will post them shortly, not much, mostly of the routes I took.

My ending mileage was about 650 miles and was suppose to be 505 miles.

Can't wait to see the pics. Sounds like quite a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Cars-R-Coffins View Post
    Can't wait to see the pics. Sounds like quite a day.
    There isn't much pictures wise, mostly of the signs of the routes I went down. It was dry for the most part. Got drizzled on a couple of times, and rained on once.

Sorry these pictures aren't that great, but here is what I have:

Attachment 18049

Attachment 18050

Attachment 18051

Attachment 18052

Last edited by Concabar; Tue Jun 21st, 2011 at 07:16 PM.

Last edited by Concabar; Tue Jun 21st, 2011 at 07:16 PM.

Attachment 18065

The end of Ohio 260. Best route and where I commenced to clap
    Attachment 18066

Triple Nickel
    Attachment 18067

Attachment 18068
    Last edited by Concabar; Tue Jun 21st, 2011 at 07:11 PM.