Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tank bags

Local jerk Yearly Supporter

Tank bags

Who here uses tank bags? what size? Brand? also do they have a tank bag that you can use as a backpack when its not on the tank?

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Re: Tank bags

Hey,

Let me look through my stuff. I bet I have one or two around that I'm not using.

I love the tankbag on the streetbike. An easy to access place to put stuff for the ride.

Let me see what I've got.

s

I use this:
    http://www.nelsonrigg.com/store/product.aspx?pid=1646
    It's pretty large, and expandable if necessary. Lately I've been using it as a tail bag, as having a large tank bag makes 'spirited' riding difficult. You can't get your arms and chest where they need to be with the bag in the way. If you get a small one, or have a bike where the bag won't interfere too much, go for it. Otherwise, put it on the tail.

If anyone has a tank bag they can let me borrow for 3 days in July 10/11/12 let me know. I'd like to buy my own, but with all this medical co-pay I might have to wait until August to get something for myself.
    George Mock | 2008 ZX6R | GoPro Hero | 3:551 5806

Quote Originally Posted by rybo View Post
    Hey,

Let me look through my stuff. I bet I have one or two around that I'm not using.

I love the tankbag on the streetbike. An easy to access place to put stuff for the ride.

Let me see what I've got.

s
    dude that'd be awesome thanks!!!

I have the Joe Rocket Manta. It's not too large, but it holds my cell, wallet, and anything else I need.

ETA: When I'm not on the bike, I just take it off and carry it. It's magnetic, so it just pops right off. It's not a backpack, but it does have a shoulder strap if you want to sling it.

Quote Originally Posted by Penadam View Post
    I use this:
    http://www.nelsonrigg.com/store/product.aspx?pid=1646
    It's pretty large, and expandable if necessary. Lately I've been using it as a tail bag, as having a large tank bag makes 'spirited' riding difficult. You can't get your arms and chest where they need to be with the bag in the way. If you get a small one, or have a bike where the bag won't interfere too much, go for it. Otherwise, put it on the tail.
    Question: The larger bag you use can it accomodate a pair of running shoes, workout pants, a light shirt, and my lunch??

Quote Originally Posted by Vellos View Post
    If anyone has a tank bag they can let me borrow for 3 days in July 10/11/12 let me know. I'd like to buy my own, but with all this medical co-pay I might have to wait until August to get something for myself.
    If i get my hands on one soon i'll let you borrow mine. just dont get any man stains on it!

Quote Originally Posted by grim View Post
    Question: The larger bag you use can it accomodate a pair of running shoes, workout pants, a light shirt, and my lunch??
    Yes. If you expand it, it can fit a full face helmet.

Don't you mean 8/9/10?

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

George -

If I come across a couple in my garage digging I'll bring one for you to the trackday.

s

[QUOTE=Penadam;579107]Yes. If you expand it, it can fit a full face helmet.

Will my Velociraptor fit in it?

I'm a huge fan of the bags-connection tank bags. They're not the cheapest, but quality is second to none.

Nice thing about these is they lock to a ring you mount around your gas cap. They never come into contact with the paint unlike strap or magnetic bags. Completely secure well into triple digit speeds and can fit almost any bike.

When I bought my duc, I bought a second ring and used the same bag on both bikes.

Here's the one I have now (makes a good sized bike purse). I'll be ordering a larger one in a week or so for my CA trip.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productlist/451/

(Oh, and 303 can get these in for a great price as well)
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    I'm a huge fan of the bags-connection tank bags. They're not the cheapest, but quality is second to none.

Nice thing about these is they lock to a ring you mount around your gas cap. They never come into contact with the paint unlike strap or magnetic bags. Completely secure well into triple digit speeds and can fit almost any bike.

When I bought my duc, I bought a second ring and used the same bag on both bikes.

Here's the one I have now (makes a good sized bike purse). I'll be ordering a larger one in a week or so for my CA trip.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productlist/451/

(Oh, and 303 can get these in for a great price as well)

You said your getting a bigger one How much can the bigger ones hold?

I use this Icon bag
    http://www.iconmotosports.com/produc...=3435&id=11994

Pretty much what you're looking for. It hangs on fine at speed. My only complaint would be that sometimes the sun will glare off the map pocket.

Initially I purchased this one, just going off the picture didn't realize I was purchasing a strap mount bag.
    $40 Fieldsheer Eiffel 2 Tank Bag

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/4/71/2550/ITEM/Fieldsheer-Eiffel-2-Tank-Bag.aspx
    I liked it because of the price, size and options, but didn't want a strap mount bag. I tried finding the replacement magnetic base, but couldn't so I ended up buying this bag also.
    $50 Fieldsheer Contour Tank Bag

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/4/71/2521/ITEM/Fieldsheer-Contour-Tank-Bag.aspx (not where I bought mine)

All bags hook up to the magnetic mount and all three are interchangeable. I really like the Contour bag, haven't even used the Eiffel 2 yet, but with a upcoming longer trip I'll be able to test it out. I probably ended up spending close to $100, but now have three different bags and two bases.

Quote Originally Posted by grim View Post
    You said your getting a bigger one How much can the bigger ones hold?
    I was looking at the engage line which are 15-25 Liters, or the City bag which is 8-12L.

The daypack (the one I already have) is 5-7L.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Scers sidekick... PuhRobin Yearly Supporter Foolds's Avatar

I have the Nelson Rig Cl-135 I think.. Its a large bag, Can fit enought stuff for a weekend easy. I can put a Lid in there plus other things pretty easy. It does help provide a little more wind protection durring long rides but I am a 6' 3 and have long monkey arms so I dont have a problem Seeing over it or getting my arms to the controlls, But the Lady Friend does(She hates it) Mines the Magnetic mount and I have had it on up to speeds around 120 with no Issue.

I also have a little Icon Tank bag I use for quick trips but I find my self taking the Big one more and more to have space for stuff.

As for Vello's I dont think im using my big one those days shoot me a PM if you want to borrow it im in North Thornton

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaneZach View Post
    I have the Joe Rocket Manta. It's not too large, but it holds my cell, wallet, and anything else I need.
    Same here. Perfect for my day-to-day riding needs.
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Foolds View Post
    I have the Nelson Rig Cl-135 I think.. Its a large bag, Can fit enought stuff for a weekend easy. I can put a Lid in there plus other things pretty easy. It does help provide a little more wind protection durring long rides but I am a 6' 3 and have long monkey arms so I dont have a problem Seeing over it or getting my arms to the controlls, But the Lady Friend does(She hates it) Mines the Magnetic mount and I have had it on up to speeds around 120 with no Issue.

I also have a little Icon Tank bag I use for quick trips but I find my self taking the Big one more and more to have space for stuff.

As for Vello's I dont think im using my big one those days shoot me a PM if you want to borrow it im in North Thornton

If you lend it to Vellos, we'll be matching for our trip!

A place to get nice inexpensive tank bags is Moto Gear Outlet. They are local and have great gear. 5405 West 56th Avenue Arvada, CO 80002
    (303) 456-4757

They will let you walk outside and try a few on. Personal favorites are magnetic tank bags
    Well done is better than well said. - Benjamin Franklin

Scers sidekick... PuhRobin Yearly Supporter Foolds's Avatar

O P.S. I had my tank Clear Bra covered due to the fact that unless you are REALLY careful magnetic tank bags will scratch!

Is your tank plastic or metal? It's going to make a difference on the type of bag you get.
    2011 Ducati 848 Evo "Bautista"
    2002 Honda RC-51 "Big Boi"

"Always remember to pillage BEFORE you burn!"

I use this one:

I haven't had any issues with scratching my tank.
    "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!" — Hunter S. Thompson

The back end of my tank is metal if anyone knows the structure i have a 05 zx-6r
    Last edited by grim; Tue Jun 21st, 2011 at 02:16 PM. Reason: epic fail on spelling