I think I'll start a new thread on lane sharing instead of continuing on the Squid Alert!!! thread.

It astonishes me that there can be any disagreement about the benefits of lane sharing for motorcycles.

1. It has been in California for years. It works there. It will work here.

2. It is really, really stupid to sit in traffic on a motorcycle, a vehicle by it's very design nature should never be constrained by a traffic jam.

3. If it is legal in Colorado, you may do it, you don't HAVE to do it.

4. Many motorcycles have less adequate cooling systems than cars. They are not made to sit in idle in a traffic jam at 105 degrees.

5. The cars surrounding the motorcycle stuck in traffic at 105 degrees have roofs and air conditioners. The drivers are not wearing helmets, armoured coats, etc.

6. Most motorcycles on the road do not have Catalytic converters. They produce more pollution, relatively speaking, than the cars while stopped in traffic.

7. Motorcycles get an average of 30 - 60 mpg or more. This helps our reduce our dependance on foreign oil, unless the motorcycle isn't moving.

8. Auto drivers will get used to lane sharing, even if they don't like it. Just like in California.

9. Motorcycle clutches are not designed to work well or long in stop and go traffic. Yes, there are some automatic motorcycles, but statistically, they are probably less than 1%

10. As I stated originally, sitting on a motorcycle in stopped traffic is as stupid as sitting on a bicycle in stopped traffic.

There are 10 good reasons off the top of my head why Colorado needs lane sharing. The Senator I was talking to wanted to know if most motorcyclists supported the idea, or if it was just me. As with anything else in politics, it's all about numbers.